I5 2400 to i7 3770k now pc wont start

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hi thereto today my employer bought me an i7 ivybridge 3770k processor and 8GB Kingston RAM. This is an upgrade from my i5 2400 and 4GB Kingston RAM for smoother development.

I first took my pc apart and dusted it off, built it back up with the i7 and the new 8GB in, and it would start, but not show on the screen. I tried everything, old ram, new ram, cables, graphics card, motherboard but nothing. Then I decided to put my i5 back in. It loaded but in system it said unknown CPU and unknown ram. So I tried the i7 again, nothing.

I managed to get the i5 again, managed to get into the bios. Many people online said update the bios, so I did. Now I try start my pc, it goes for around 3 seconds, and stops, starts again and same thing. An endless loop, its not even long enough for me to reset the CMOS.

I can't figure out what it is, I tried every combination.

When I have the i5 in, the lights on my keyboard and mouse light up almost instantly, and my screen shortly after, but if I have the i7 in, the keyboard and mouse wont light up, and my screen goes onto the 'nothing is trying to show' screen with the power light flashing.

What could be the issue??

Thanks in advance, josh.

My pc specs (not including the upgrades)
- asus p8h61-m LX
- i5 quad core 3.1GHz 2400
- 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
- aero cool case
- aero cool 550 watt gaming psu
- Samsung 2TB hdd (primary)
- Samsung 500GB hdd (secondary)
- OS windows 8 pro

Upgrades:
- 8GB DDR3
- i7 3.5GHz 3770k

All software is legit and no second hand pieces.

Solution
kewlguy239 was right. it was the motherboard, but for a different reason. We took it in to our local PC shop and apparently the pins were bent, so I got a new motherboard and all works fine!

Thanks guys.

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Hi, thank you for the speedy reply! The bios was updated to 4404

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

It is 10:30 here in South Africa, I will do it in the morning and let you guys know how it goes! Thanks!

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
well, the issue is obviously the motherboard. I don't believe the H61 chipset, despite being an 1155 socket, supports the Intel I7 3770K. if it does support it, a bios update would be the solution. make sure you are getting the most recent bios update. if that doesn't work, im afraid you made a mistake in purchasing the I7 3770k as a replacement chip on the H61. from here, I would recommend a new motherboard. to transfer your PC to it, you must create a backup using acronis and then restore to the "new" system by peforming a universal restore. this will strip the drivers out of the old setup and all you would need to do is install the drivers with the motherboard.

yea, maybe im mistaken, but i thought the h61 wasnt going to be compatible with the ivy bridge. but when i went to asus and looked under the cpu support list, the 3770k is there...

VXBlade

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

If he has a BIOS 3605 or later ASUS's website states it should work.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well you overpaid a little, no need for a K series chip with an h61 board since it does not support overclocking. The regular 3770 would have been fine.

Looks like it is a supported processor, so unless it is bad out of the box, it should boot.

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

It's the only one they had in store

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

I am at work, trying to fix my pc, and now it won't even turn on! We have checked power cables and everything!

Now we tried a new power cable, it turned for a second, and now its not going on again.

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
kewlguy239 was right. it was the motherboard, but for a different reason. We took it in to our local PC shop and apparently the pins were bent, so I got a new motherboard and all works fine!

Thanks guys.

Solution

VXBlade

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

Strange how the i5 chip worked ok then. But good to know it's working :)