My family is currently using a 3g hotspot from verizon with 10GB cap, and it SUCKS! The connection is slow, but we seem to go over by a gigabyte per month. I'm afraid out usage may rise dramatically with an improved connection, and that worries me.
I stumbled upon the idea of buying someone's grandfathered unlimited plan on ebay.
From these, I gather that verizon allows to keep unlimited plans but won't apply any 2 year subsidy contract. Also, Verizon is required by the FCC to allow the user to use their sim card in any of their devices, including hotspots, without allowing smartphone tethering.
Of course, it would cost a steep price of just under $300 to get the plan and $200 for the LTE hotspot, but that would save us $40 per month ($480/year).
1. I'd like to know if these ebay listings are legitimate
1. Check the Feedback and what they've sold in the past. Buy from the one with the highest feedback and # of sales.
2. Last time I checked, they do.
3. Verizon doesn't do it with smartphones, to my knowledge.
4. Very pissed, but they can't do a damn thing about it.