Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

I want to buy a new RAM but a bit confused.

Tags:
  • Core
  • RAM
  • Intel i5
  • DDR3
  • Cache
  • Laptops
  • Memory
  • Aspire
Last response: in Memory
July 2, 2013 9:59:19 PM

Hi everyone :) 

I'm looking for another 2GB stick (or maybe 4GB if compatible) but I'm not what to get because I don't even know what I have and what my laptop can handle. Here is my laptop spec:

Aspire 4741g
core i5 430m (2.26Ghz, 3MB L3 Cache)
GeForce GT 330M
1x2GB DDR3 RAM (from possible 2 slots)
Windows 7 64 bit

I use Crucial scanner and it says:

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 2

and it recommends me some DDR3 PC3-10600 RAMs. However, CPU-z tells me that my RAM is PC3-8500F.



In the end I removed the RAM to see it by myself but still got no clue. Here are the pictures:



Could anyone help me with this please? It might be easier just to buy a new 2-stick kit but since this 2GB RAM still works fine I don't want to waste my money for an extra one.

Thank you so much! :) 

More about : buy ram bit confused

a c 138 } Memory
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2013 4:54:20 AM

PC3-8500=1066MHz, PC3-10600=1333MHz, usually the laptop manufacturer will install the lowest speed RAM, and Crucial scanner will give you highest speed RAM. The performance is very small (<5%) between them.
Buy the other 2GB PC3-8500 if you need more.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 5:41:09 AM

cin19 said:
PC3-8500=1066MHz, PC3-10600=1333MHz, usually the laptop manufacturer will install the lowest speed RAM, and Crucial scanner will give you highest speed RAM. The performance is very small (<5%) between them.
Buy the other 2GB PC3-8500 if you need more.


Hi cin19. So does it mean I can also get a PC3-10600? What about mixing a 10600 and a 8500 RAM? Also do they need to be the same brand?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 138 } Memory
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2013 6:05:56 AM

you can use PC3-10600, when you buy the other RAM you don't have to get the same brand but you are better get the same specificatons one. And also you can mix the different speed RAM but sometime they are not compatible I means it is not 100% work together. When you mix the RAM that will run in the lowest speed and timing, like 10600 cl8+8500 cl7> final speed is 1066Mhz cl8.

Your RAM specification: PC3-8500 1066Mhz Cl7.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 207 } Memory
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2013 8:08:05 PM

Hello,:hello: 

Brand should not be an issue here but yeah you may get the same brand. As far as mixing different speeds is not a good option, yeah it will work. When you mix the highest speed memory with a lower speed, the highest speed will default to the speed of the lowest in this case 1333MHz will run @1066MHz when you mix. Hope that is clear.

Yes, 4GB module is compatible. Max your laptop supports is 8GB. It has 2 slots and hence 4GB will work. Anyways based on your budget and the applications you run you can choose the amount of memory but in terms of speed I'd recommend 1333MHz (PC3-10600) if you are going with two 4GB modules else go with the same speed.

Check this site if you need memory:
Click here for compatible memory for Acer Aspire 4741g

Good luck with the upgrade. Cheers, mate!!
Share
July 9, 2013 6:33:57 AM

Quote:
you can use PC3-10600, when you buy the other RAM you don't have to get the same brand but you are better get the same specificatons one. And also you can mix the different speed RAM but sometime they are not compatible I means it is not 100% work together. When you mix the RAM that will run in the lowest speed and timing, like 10600 cl8+8500 cl7> final speed is 1066Mhz cl8.

Your RAM specification: PC3-8500 1066Mhz Cl7.


Quote:
Hello,:hello: 

Brand should not be an issue here but yeah you may get the same brand. As far as mixing different speeds is not a good option, yeah it will work. When you mix the highest speed memory with a lower speed, the highest speed will default to the speed of the lowest in this case 1333MHz will run @1066MHz when you mix. Hope that is clear.

Yes, 4GB module is compatible. Max your laptop supports is 8GB. It has 2 slots and hence 4GB will work. Anyways based on your budget and the applications you run you can choose the amount of memory but in terms of speed I'd recommend 1333MHz (PC3-10600) if you are going with two 4GB modules else go with the same speed.

Check this site if you need memory:
Click here for compatible memory for Acer Aspire 4741g

Good luck with the upgrade. Cheers, mate!!


Thank you so much guys!! I just ordered a Corsair 4gb PC3-8500! And feel a bit smarter now reading your posts. :) 

Cheers!
m
0
l