Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time gaming PC build. All parts ok? and how's the build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 3, 2013 10:20:45 AM

CPU: Intel core i5-3470 @3.2 Ghz [not going to overclock]

GPU: Sapphire HD 7850 2GB GDDR5

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H micro-ATX

RAM: 4GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 1600 Mhz

HDD: 2 TB Seagate barracuda 6Gb/s 7200rpm

PSU: Seasonic ECO 600 [or should I take Cooler master thunder 600?]

Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 344 purple USB 3.0 [Is this case okay?]
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 10:28:02 AM

i would get 8gb of ram. Some games actually use almost all of it.

As for the graphics card, i don't know what your prices are but around here the gtx 660 or a 650 ti boost looks like a better option
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 10:34:47 AM

Azn Cracker said:
i would get 8gb of ram. Some games actually use almost all of it.

As for the graphics card, i don't know what your prices are but around here the gtx 660 or a 650 ti boost looks like a better option


Isn't 7850 better than 650ti? I can get 650ti cheaper than the 7850, both being 2GB. And yes I'll buy 4GB ram later because it can be easily added and I'm currently tight on budget.
thanks for answering
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 10:39:22 AM

Chirag Sharma said:
Azn Cracker said:
i would get 8gb of ram. Some games actually use almost all of it.

As for the graphics card, i don't know what your prices are but around here the gtx 660 or a 650 ti boost looks like a better option


Isn't 7850 better than 650ti? I can get 650ti cheaper than the 7850, both being 2GB. And yes I'll buy 4GB ram later because it can be easily added and I'm currently tight on budget.
thanks for answering

Actually the 650ti boost is about the same. Im talking about the boost version specifically, because the regular version is not that good. but 7850 is a fine card if you can get it for like $150-$170, i was just throwing it out there
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 10:45:09 AM

Azn Cracker said:
Chirag Sharma said:
Azn Cracker said:
i would get 8gb of ram. Some games actually use almost all of it.

As for the graphics card, i don't know what your prices are but around here the gtx 660 or a 650 ti boost looks like a better option


Isn't 7850 better than 650ti? I can get 650ti cheaper than the 7850, both being 2GB. And yes I'll buy 4GB ram later because it can be easily added and I'm currently tight on budget.
thanks for answering

Actually the 650ti boost is about the same. Im talking about the boost version specifically, because the regular version is not that good. but 7850 is a fine card if you can get it for like $150-$170, i was just throwing it out there


I'm getting 7850 cheaper than 650ti boost. So I'm getting that. Is it fine? And I cant afford nvidia 660. Also is psu ok for that 7850?
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 10:49:37 AM

Chirag Sharma said:
Azn Cracker said:
i would get 8gb of ram. Some games actually use almost all of it.

As for the graphics card, i don't know what your prices are but around here the gtx 660 or a 650 ti boost looks like a better option


Isn't 7850 better than 650ti? I can get 650ti cheaper than the 7850, both being 2GB. And yes I'll buy 4GB ram later because it can be easily added and I'm currently tight on budget.
thanks for answering


Generally, 7850 is better than 650ti and almost on par with GTX 660 (they trade blows depending on the game and settings). The 7850 is cheaper than a GTX 660, so I would opt for the 7850 unless you need CUDA or want to use Physx.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/782?vs=778
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/783?vs=778
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 11:25:23 AM

First of all, ui would suggest you to change ur psu to a corsair CX500W or CX600W. a CX500W would be enough unless u plan to do SLI in future.
secondly, for the case get something cheaper and good like Cooler Master K380 or Cooler master elite431 plus or Corsair 300R.
u can get a gtx660 for ~rs.14.2k which is cheaper and better than hd7850. I am talking about the link u mentioned above from flipkart, it's cheaper and better.
otherwise everything is fine and it's a nice build and if possible try to get an aftermarket cpu cooler like cooler master hyper 212 EVO for good cooling.
Share
July 3, 2013 11:53:53 AM

sourodip said:
First of all, ui would suggest you to change ur psu to a corsair CX500W or CX600W. a CX500W would be enough unless u plan to do SLI in future.
secondly, for the case get something cheaper and good like Cooler Master K380 or Cooler master elite431 plus or Corsair 300R.
u can get a gtx660 for ~rs.14.2k which is cheaper and better than hd7850. I am talking about the link u mentioned above from flipkart, it's cheaper and better.
otherwise everything is fine and it's a nice build and if possible try to get an aftermarket cpu cooler like cooler master hyper 212 EVO for good cooling.


Thanks for your suggestion. It's very much appreciated.
I'm getting gtx660 and I'll get the cx500w. But the case I've chosen i.e. Elite 344 is very cheap. So I like to buy that. Which u recommended are more than double the price. So am I ok with the case I've chosen or not?
Also why is aftermarket cpu cooler needed? I am not going to overclock the cpu. So isn't the stock fan sufficient?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 11:57:53 AM

well an elite431plus/K380 or corsair 200R would be a wise choice if ur budget for buying a case is around rs.3000
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 12:09:33 PM

sourodip said:
well an elite431plus/K380 or corsair 200R would be a wise choice if ur budget for buying a case is around rs.3000


budget for case is strictly rs 3000. But I can't find any of your recommended case under 3000. All are being sold around 4000 or more :( 
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 12:21:35 PM

To be honest other than the current suggested changes by others, one major change I'd consider is the 2TB hard drive...

I'm a network engineer and on a weekly bases I'm swapping out/repairing 1TB and higher drives...

If I were you I'd get a SSD something cheap like a 128gig and use that as your primary for OS, drivers etc... then use the 2TB for storage, game, data etc... This way if your 2TB fails atleast you dont have to redo your whole system...

If you cant afford an SSD than even get a 750gig or below standard drive, just from experience 1TB+ as a primary drive is just a bad idea.

My current setup I have a 128gig SSD for OS, 3 stripped 350 raptor drives at 10,000 rpms in a strip for my games only and a 1TB for data (movies, files etc...) I dont trust 1TBs so much I recently just bought a 3TB external drive just to backup the 1TB internal and interesting enough 2 weeks after I did that, the internal 1TB is now having I/O errors...
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 12:32:20 PM

jdrag said:
To be honest other than the current suggested changes by others, one major change I'd consider is the 2TB hard drive...

I'm a network engineer and on a weekly bases I'm swapping out/repairing 1TB and higher drives...

If I were you I'd get a SSD something cheap like a 128gig and use that as your primary for OS, drivers etc... then use the 2TB for storage, game, data etc... This way if your 2TB fails atleast you dont have to redo your whole system...

If you cant afford an SSD than even get a 750gig or below standard drive, just from experience 1TB+ as a primary drive is just a bad idea.

My current setup I have a 128gig SSD for OS, 3 stripped 350 raptor drives at 10,000 rpms in a strip for my games only and a 1TB for data (movies, files etc...) I dont trust 1TBs so much I recently just bought a 3TB external drive just to backup the 1TB internal and interesting enough 2 weeks after I did that, the internal 1TB is now having I/O errors...


actually I'm getting 2 TB because there's not.much price difference in 1TB n 2 TB. Also, even small drives fail. I can't afford ssd. And I definitely want 1TB. So when the price diff is not much, I am convinced to buy 2 TB.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 12:34:00 PM

in which city do u live?
the 431plus's and corsair 200R's price has gone high and several others, okay let me help, check this:
http://mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&p...
this would be your best bet and it is only rs.200 more. u can get it within rs.3000 in local shops,tell me in which city do u live and i would be able to help u more accurately.

also take a look at this, it is within ur budget:
http://mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&p...
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 12:45:13 PM

sourodip said:
in which city do u live?
the 431plus's and corsair 200R's price has gone high and several others, okay let me help, check this:
http://mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&p...
this would be your best bet and it is only rs.200 more. u can get it within rs.3000 in local shops,tell me in which city do u live and i would be able to help u more accurately.

also take a look at this, it is within ur budget:
http://mdcomputers.in/index.php?
route=product/product&path=74_62&product_id=1611


my city is kurukshetra (haryana). And I think I'll get the 3.2k one
btw, what's the difference in this 3.2k one and the one i chose before.. i.e. Elite 344
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 12:57:11 PM

the K281 is more spacious, has more HDD's and SSD's bays and also supports graphics cards upto 12.4 inch which is very good.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:08:46 PM

sourodip said:
the K281 is more spacious, has more HDD's and SSD's bays and also supports graphics cards upto 12.4 inch which is very good.


why's that needed? We can install 2 hdd, 1 dvd drive and gtx 660 in the elite 344 itself.
Also is the msi 660 oc reliable? Because it's oc but it's not twin frozr
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 1:24:05 PM

yeah the msi gtx660 is reliable and for the 344 cabinet,u can go with it but in future if u upgrade to a lengthier card then u would not have enough cooling and the card may also not fit in the case. If u are satisfied with HDD's and a DVD drive,then u can go for the 344 but i would recommend the one i listed to have better cooling and scope for using a SSD in near future.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:35:42 PM

Chirag Sharma said:
jdrag said:
To be honest other than the current suggested changes by others, one major change I'd consider is the 2TB hard drive...

I'm a network engineer and on a weekly bases I'm swapping out/repairing 1TB and higher drives...

If I were you I'd get a SSD something cheap like a 128gig and use that as your primary for OS, drivers etc... then use the 2TB for storage, game, data etc... This way if your 2TB fails atleast you dont have to redo your whole system...

If you cant afford an SSD than even get a 750gig or below standard drive, just from experience 1TB+ as a primary drive is just a bad idea.

My current setup I have a 128gig SSD for OS, 3 stripped 350 raptor drives at 10,000 rpms in a strip for my games only and a 1TB for data (movies, files etc...) I dont trust 1TBs so much I recently just bought a 3TB external drive just to backup the 1TB internal and interesting enough 2 weeks after I did that, the internal 1TB is now having I/O errors...


actually I'm getting 2 TB because there's not.much price difference in 1TB n 2 TB. Also, even small drives fail. I can't afford ssd. And I definitely want 1TB. So when the price diff is not much, I am convinced to buy 2 TB.


I'm simply stating anything above 1TB as a primary drive from experience has a higher fail rate, I'm sure if you looked on newegg you could find 2 standard 500gigs for close to the same cost and even strip them together if you wanted 1TB...

I'd pick to smaller drives over a 1TB as a primary any day of the week. But that's just me I'm just giving you advice from someone with experience on the subject, take it or leave it, thats up to you.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:35:50 PM

sourodip said:
yeah the msi gtx660 is reliable and for the 344 cabinet,u can go with it but in future if u upgrade to a lengthier card then u would not have enough cooling and the card may also not fit in the case. If u are satisfied with HDD's and a DVD drive,then u can go for the 344 but i would recommend the one i listed to have better cooling and scope for using a SSD in near future.


no I don't plan to upgrade the card in the near future. Also I'm ok with hdd n dvd drive. So that means I don't need the 3.2k cabinet. I'll go with 344 then. Thanks for your support :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 1:41:20 PM

you are welcome, have u checked that whether the 344 supports the gtx660 in length?check it once, if it supports then go for it.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:42:57 PM

jdrag said:
Chirag Sharma said:
jdrag said:
To be honest other than the current suggested changes by others, one major change I'd consider is the 2TB hard drive...

I'm a network engineer and on a weekly bases I'm swapping out/repairing 1TB and higher drives...

If I were you I'd get a SSD something cheap like a 128gig and use that as your primary for OS, drivers etc... then use the 2TB for storage, game, data etc... This way if your 2TB fails atleast you dont have to redo your whole system...

If you cant afford an SSD than even get a 750gig or below standard drive, just from experience 1TB+ as a primary drive is just a bad idea.

My current setup I have a 128gig SSD for OS, 3 stripped 350 raptor drives at 10,000 rpms in a strip for my games only and a 1TB for data (movies, files etc...) I dont trust 1TBs so much I recently just bought a 3TB external drive just to backup the 1TB internal and interesting enough 2 weeks after I did that, the internal 1TB is now having I/O errors...


actually I'm getting 2 TB because there's not.much price difference in 1TB n 2 TB. Also, even small drives fail. I can't afford ssd. And I definitely want 1TB. So when the price diff is not much, I am convinced to buy 2 TB.


I'm simply stating anything above 1TB as a primary drive from experience has a higher fail rate, I'm sure if you looked on newegg you could find 2 standard 500gigs for close to the same cost and even strip them together if you wanted 1TB...

I'd pick to smaller drives over a 1TB as a primary any day of the week. But that's just me I'm just giving you advice from someone with experience on the subject, take it or leave it, thats up to you.


I agree with you. But here in india. Two 500 gb hdd cost =cost of 2 TB single hdd.
so 2TB is more tempting.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 1:46:15 PM

yeah then go with 2TB(WD) or maybe 1TB and invest on the gpu and get a hd7870 :) 
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:47:50 PM

sourodip said:
you are welcome, have u checked that whether the 344 supports the gtx660 in length?check it once, if it supports then go for it.


Yes it does. Check in specs tab:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mini-to...

I find it to be a good cheap usb 3.0 case :) 
Also 1 ques for u. Is 500w psu enough if I'm not.going for sli? Are u sure? Because I'm not sure :p 
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:51:25 PM

sourodip said:
yeah then go with 2TB(WD) or maybe 1TB and invest on the gpu and get a hd7870 :) 


7870 is overkill for me. In price, if not in performance. :D 
Also I'm getting seagate? Is wd better than seagate? Or they are about the same?
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 1:52:11 PM

Chirag Sharma said:
jdrag said:
Chirag Sharma said:
jdrag said:
To be honest other than the current suggested changes by others, one major change I'd consider is the 2TB hard drive...

I'm a network engineer and on a weekly bases I'm swapping out/repairing 1TB and higher drives...

If I were you I'd get a SSD something cheap like a 128gig and use that as your primary for OS, drivers etc... then use the 2TB for storage, game, data etc... This way if your 2TB fails atleast you dont have to redo your whole system...

If you cant afford an SSD than even get a 750gig or below standard drive, just from experience 1TB+ as a primary drive is just a bad idea.

My current setup I have a 128gig SSD for OS, 3 stripped 350 raptor drives at 10,000 rpms in a strip for my games only and a 1TB for data (movies, files etc...) I dont trust 1TBs so much I recently just bought a 3TB external drive just to backup the 1TB internal and interesting enough 2 weeks after I did that, the internal 1TB is now having I/O errors...


actually I'm getting 2 TB because there's not.much price difference in 1TB n 2 TB. Also, even small drives fail. I can't afford ssd. And I definitely want 1TB. So when the price diff is not much, I am convinced to buy 2 TB.


I'm simply stating anything above 1TB as a primary drive from experience has a higher fail rate, I'm sure if you looked on newegg you could find 2 standard 500gigs for close to the same cost and even strip them together if you wanted 1TB...

I'd pick to smaller drives over a 1TB as a primary any day of the week. But that's just me I'm just giving you advice from someone with experience on the subject, take it or leave it, thats up to you.


I agree with you. But here in india. Two 500 gb hdd cost =cost of 2 TB single hdd.
so 2TB is more tempting.


Wow, that's weird... I'm guessing you don't want to wait for delivery from someplace like newegg where you could get it cheaper? You going to a store to purchase the drives?
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 2:04:01 PM

jdrag said:
Chirag Sharma said:
jdrag said:
Chirag Sharma said:
jdrag said:
To be honest other than the current suggested changes by others, one major change I'd consider is the 2TB hard drive...

I'm a network engineer and on a weekly bases I'm swapping out/repairing 1TB and higher drives...

If I were you I'd get a SSD something cheap like a 128gig and use that as your primary for OS, drivers etc... then use the 2TB for storage, game, data etc... This way if your 2TB fails atleast you dont have to redo your whole system...

If you cant afford an SSD than even get a 750gig or below standard drive, just from experience 1TB+ as a primary drive is just a bad idea.

My current setup I have a 128gig SSD for OS, 3 stripped 350 raptor drives at 10,000 rpms in a strip for my games only and a 1TB for data (movies, files etc...) I dont trust 1TBs so much I recently just bought a 3TB external drive just to backup the 1TB internal and interesting enough 2 weeks after I did that, the internal 1TB is now having I/O errors...


actually I'm getting 2 TB because there's not.much price difference in 1TB n 2 TB. Also, even small drives fail. I can't afford ssd. And I definitely want 1TB. So when the price diff is not much, I am convinced to buy 2 TB.


I'm simply stating anything above 1TB as a primary drive from experience has a higher fail rate, I'm sure if you looked on newegg you could find 2 standard 500gigs for close to the same cost and even strip them together if you wanted 1TB...

I'd pick to smaller drives over a 1TB as a primary any day of the week. But that's just me I'm just giving you advice from someone with experience on the subject, take it or leave it, thats up to you.


I agree with you. But here in india. Two 500 gb hdd cost =cost of 2 TB single hdd.
so 2TB is more tempting.


Wow, that's weird... I'm guessing you don't want to wait for delivery from someplace like newegg where you could get it cheaper? You going to a store to purchase the drives?


I don't think newegg ships to India. I would've got the parts cheaper if they shipped to India
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 11:45:54 PM

yeah, newegg doesn't ships to india. building a gaming rig in india is a sin to budget gamers.
hey bro, a best answer should be selected. :) 
m
0
l
!