Solved

First build, is it any good for gaming?

Is this build any good? My budget is around $500, already have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor, have a keyboard and mouse, and a new copy of Windows 7. I will mostly be playing Minecraft, BF3 and 4(When it comes out), COD Black Ops and MW3, Trials Evolution, and all Need for Speed titles. Will this run AT LEAST Minecraft and NFS at high settings at a playable framerate? and could you tell me how it would run the other games listed? If it can't handle those games, could you make a build for me?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build good gaming
  1. That ram is not from a great manufacturer, so I would recommend getting some from corsair, g.skill, mushkin, etc.
    For $10 more you could get the msi 970a-g43 motherboard, which has a better chipset and is better all around.
    You should consider the 650 ti boost for ~$30 more (2gb version). It offers much better performance for not much more cash.
  2. Get either a 7790 or Boost 1 GB for just a few bucks more.
  3. This is the best build you can get for around 500 dollars. It will handle any game at 1080p with ease and the CPU is also very good, not at all a bottleneck.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.00 @ Newegg)
    Total: $536.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-03 14:50 EDT-0400)

    If you find my answer useful then do not forget to pick this answer as the solution. It would help me get a better rank in the forums.
  4. Norlag said:
    That ram is not from a great manufacturer, so I would recommend getting some from corsair, g.skill, mushkin, etc.
    For $10 more you could get the msi 970a-g43 motherboard, which has a better chipset and is better all around.
    You should consider the 650 ti boost for ~$30 more (2gb version). It offers much better performance for not much more cash.

    Is this better? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVIN
  5. Larry Bob said:
    Get either a 7790 or Boost 1 GB for just a few bucks more.

    What about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVIN
  6. BeRawhh said:
    Larry Bob said:
    Get either a 7790 or Boost 1 GB for just a few bucks more.

    What about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVIN


    For a gaming rig (even on a budget), go for 8GB of RAM that is 2x 4GB sticks in dual channel it will be a lot better now and for the long run and will out perform a single stick of the same capacity.

    Also, for just a few dollars more, you can get a GTX 660 or 7850/7870 and both those cards are well worth spending a little more over the 650ti/boost.
  7. MEC-777 said:
    BeRawhh said:
    Larry Bob said:
    Get either a 7790 or Boost 1 GB for just a few bucks more.

    What about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVIN


    For a gaming rig (even on a budget), go for 8GB of RAM that is 2x 4GB sticks in dual channel it will be a lot better now and for the long run and will out perform a single stick of the same capacity.

    Also, for just a few dollars more, you can get a GTX 660 or 7850/7870 and both those cards are well worth spending a little more over the 650ti/boost.


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cXpF That's the build, should be pretty good. Are you sure that the Phenom ii x4 965 isn't bottlenecking the gtx 660? Should I get another psu? I used Newegg's PSU calculator and got 419 W when my PSU in the build is 430 W. Am I good? Wasn't looking to spend more than $530. Also, using this build, do you think this can run all the games above on high?
  8. Best answer
    BeRawhh said:
    MEC-777 said:
    BeRawhh said:
    Larry Bob said:
    Get either a 7790 or Boost 1 GB for just a few bucks more.

    What about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVIN


    For a gaming rig (even on a budget), go for 8GB of RAM that is 2x 4GB sticks in dual channel it will be a lot better now and for the long run and will out perform a single stick of the same capacity.

    Also, for just a few dollars more, you can get a GTX 660 or 7850/7870 and both those cards are well worth spending a little more over the 650ti/boost.


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cXpF That's the build, should be pretty good. Are you sure that the Phenom ii x4 965 isn't bottlenecking the gtx 660? Should I get another psu? I used Newegg's PSU calculator and got 419 W when my PSU in the build is 430 W. Am I good? Wasn't looking to spend more than $530. Also, using this build, do you think this can run all the games above on high?


    The 965 is old but still capable. I can't see it bottlenecking a 660.

    PSU is very important. Better to run more than enough rather than just enough. I'd go with a Corsair CX600M or similar.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Keyboards Minecraft Systems need-for-speed Build Monitors