Solved

What is a good motherboard for pc gaming build around $1000-1200

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I'm looking at that MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard and my question is would that be a good motherboard for my set up?

I plan to run games at mid-high settings if possible. Can someone tell me which motherboard brands are the best? I'm completely new to PC building so I'm a little scared on how to go about this. Any help/criticisms/questions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I added the full build. I plan to overclock in the future as I learn more about it. Will this build let me do that?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good motherboard gaming build 1000 1200
  1. Sabertooths are good :D
  2. Azrael47 said:
    Sabertooths are good :D


    No they aren't! The plastic stuff is terrible.
  3. dannyboy2233 said:
    Azrael47 said:
    Sabertooths are good :D


    No they aren't! The plastic stuff is terrible.


    I'm looking at $100-150 for a mobo. What's the difference between the z77 and z87? I see a lot of build with either set up.
  4. dannyboy2233 said:
    Azrael47 said:
    Sabertooths are good :D


    No they aren't! The plastic stuff is terrible.

    True, thats why I got an ROG motherboard, it is a monster :D
  5. Best answer
    Nyva said:

    I'm looking at $100-150 for a mobo. What's the difference between the z77 and z87? I see a lot of build with either set up.


    Z77 boards have the 1155 Socket that supports 2nd and 3rd Gens Core Processors and the Z87 has 1150 Socket that supports 4th Gen Processors, since u have chosen a 4670K u need a Z87
  6. jinayhvora said:
    Nyva said:

    I'm looking at $100-150 for a mobo. What's the difference between the z77 and z87? I see a lot of build with either set up.


    Z77 boards have the 1155 Socket that supports 2nd and 3rd Gens Core Processors and the Z87 has 1150 Socket that supports 4th Gen Processors, since u have chosen a 4670K u need a Z87


    Thanks a lot. Which brand would you recommend?
  7. i prefer Gigabyte/Asus
  8. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.
  9. I vote for an ASRock Extreme4. I've used ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI as well and ASRock is as solid as any. Anything in the ~150 price band will do you right. The only reason to go higher is if you have additional connectivity (e.g. firewire) needs.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Motherboards Build CPUs