Solved

setting up a raid 1 array

Folks I did something stupid. I purchased 2 new 1-T drives. I loaded win 7 pro to one of the drives. Then it occurred to me I wanted to set up a raid 1 array, do I need to format the drive and start over? I am a photographer and backing up my work is vital. I have a AS Rock 970, AMD FX8150, and 16GB memory. Any advice would be appreciated.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about setting raid array
  1. How many drives do you have?
    Yes, to create a new array your data will need to be backed up and the disks will need to be formatted during windows install.
  2. Raid is not a backup. It's protection only for a failed Hard drive. If you corrupt or delete a file, the only way to get it back is a backup.
  3. you don't need a RAID1 - all you need to do is copy your data onto the other drive, every day, or every week

    don't over-complicate your life...

    but, here's what I suggest you do:

    take drive 1, and create a 300GB partition to install the OS
    once all done and windows is installed, create a backup of that partition inside windows
    store that backup on drive 2
    then create a second partition using the rest of the free space on drive 1
  4. Dr_JRE said:
    How many drives do you have?
    Yes, to create a new array your data will need to be backed up and the disks will need to be formatted during windows install.
  5. I have two new identical 1 terabyte wd drives, one of them has win 7 installed the other is just as it came from the box. My current boot drive is a wd 640MB with win 7 and other programs and data installed. I wanted a clean install so that I could reload my software and data. There have been some conflicts lately.
  6. Best answer
    This will not do for a RAID1 if you value your data.
    You are better off using the second 1tb drive as a backup redundant storage drive.
    You can manually backup your data or you can use a free automatic backup solution.
    Windows includes an automatic backup agent or use one of the many great free ones available.
    Perhaps consider a USB 3.0 drive enclosure so the drive is only in use while you are either backing up or restoring data.
  7. Dr_JRE said:
    This will not do for a RAID1 if you value your data.
    You are better off using the second 1tb drive as a backup redundant storage drive.
    You can manually backup your data or you can use a free automatic backup solution.
    Windows includes an automatic backup agent or use one of the many great free ones available.
    Perhaps consider a USB 3.0 drive enclosure so the drive is only in use while you are either backing up or restoring data.

    Thank you.
    Jack
  8. You can go into computer management then disk management and mirror the 1st hdd with the 2nd one. This will negate the need to reinstall everything.

    Without know which raid controller (or motherbd) you are intending on using, I cant say if you would actually need to reinstall everything or if the system will automatically mirror drive 1 to drive 2 or not.

    As others have mentioned. Raid1 is not a backup. If you, an error, or a virus, deletes/corrupts/overwrites a file on disk1 the same action will occur on disk2 at the same time and theres nothing you can do to stop it.

    I am only a home photographer/videographer and as soon as I get home I copy my sd cards to several different locations. I even burn 2 copies to DVD *just in case* (one of which is stored offsite). Not losing my pics is super important to me so I imagine you should adopt a similar strategy; multiple saves to multipe locations plus an offsite copy (even if its in your sisters basement LoL)
  9. popatim said:
    You can go into computer management then disk management and mirror the 1st hdd with the 2nd one. This will negate the need to reinstall everything.

    Without know which raid controller (or motherbd) you are intending on using, I cant say if you would actually need to reinstall everything or if the system will automatically mirror drive 1 to drive 2 or not.

    As others have mentioned. Raid1 is not a backup. If you, an error, or a virus, deletes/corrupts/overwrites a file on disk1 the same action will occur on disk2 at the same time and theres nothing you can do to stop it.

    I am only a home photographer/videographer and as soon as I get home I copy my sd cards to several different locations. I even burn 2 copies to DVD *just in case* (one of which is stored offsite). Not losing my pics is super important to me so I imagine you should adopt a similar strategy; multiple saves to multipe locations plus an offsite copy (even if its in your sisters basement LoL)


    Thanks I know what raid does. What I was hoping for a raid 1 system to ensure against hard drive failure and downtime. I do use multiple backups. When I travel I download the cf cards to a laptop and then a wd passport, after editing at home to external drives.

    I am running a AS Rock 970 MB with a AMD FX8170 cpu and 16gb of memory. I stupidlly installed win 7 pro on one of the new drives before I set up the raid array and was hoping there was a work around that mistake, as Microsoft may not let me activate windows again. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Jack
  10. If you can configure the RAID1 @ the controller level (not software) you can clone the existing install to the RAID1. this would require a drive large enough to house an .ISO of the hard drive image.
    Redo! Backup & Restore is a great simple to use system to accomplish this: http://redobackup.org/
    Clone the existing windows install to an .ISO, then reboot, configure your RAID, reboot into Redo! and restore your backup to the new RAID1 array.
    After the volume is cloned use gparted to re-size the partition to fill the entire RAID volume.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage Format