Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

HP Envy 17 running too hot?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 3, 2013 1:32:14 PM

Hello people, early this year I bought a HP Envy 17 for gaming and it has been working flawlessly so far, it does get quite hot though when gaming more demanding games such as Hitman Absolution, Skyrim, BF3 etc. the basic specifications are as follows:

Intel i7 720QM 1.60GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5850 1GB
2x 500GB 7200RPM HDD

I realize that the Envy models have a reputation for getting hot, but I wanted to hear if these temps are too hot for my GPU and CPU while gaming:

NOTE: These are the highest recorded temps when playing Hitman Absolution on high settings!

CPU (Tj. Max 100C):
Core 1: 94C
Core 2: 94C
Core 3: 95C
Core 4: 94C

GPU: 80-90C

Should I start getting worried, or can the hardware take these temps?

Thanks a lot!

More about : envy running hot

a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 3, 2013 3:51:45 PM

Yep, those are way too hot. Are you experiencing any throttling yet with those temps? 80 C - 90 C on the GPU is fairly normal, but your CPU is definitely getting too warm. Ideally, you don't want to exceed 88 C on either CPU or GPU, and I consider that a little high, even (though it's still normal and "safe").

It probably needs cleaned and needs new thermal compound.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 5:33:07 PM

Prostar Computer said:
Yep, those are way too hot. Are you experiencing any throttling yet with those temps? 80 C - 90 C on the GPU is fairly normal, but your CPU is definitely getting too warm. Ideally, you don't want to exceed 88 C on either CPU or GPU, and I consider that a little high, even (though it's still normal and "safe").

It probably needs cleaned and needs new thermal compound.


Yes I am.

It was too long ago I had similar heat problems, where it would go around 80-90C on the CPU and I changed the thermal paste (I used Arctic MX-2, a silicone based paste if I recall) and that worked great, cooled it down significantly. But i can't imagine that, that paste could have already worn off since it was no more than 2 months ago (I also thoroughly cleaned it too). I haven't cleaned it since, but even still I find it hard to imagine that the inside of the laptop could be full of dust again, after only two months.

What should I do? I can't afford to even think of a new computer or to have a professional look at it, and the Steam summer sale is almost upon us :hot: 
m
0
l
Related resources
July 7, 2013 10:57:18 PM

My Envy 17 is also getting hot around 90's. Please also tell me what to do with it?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2013 9:47:35 AM

Check your paste, first. It's likely not excessively dusty, but you'll find out what it's like when you open it up. Even though you did a paste job recently, not enough may have been applied enough, or it could have been applied improperly.

Also, when you put the heat sink back on, be sure to put enough pressure. Too light and the heat won't transfer properly; too tight and you may end up damaging something. Just make sure it's firm when you reapply it. :) 
m
0
l
July 8, 2013 5:31:10 PM

Prostar Computer said:
Check your paste, first. It's likely not excessively dusty, but you'll find out what it's like when you open it up. Even though you did a paste job recently, not enough may have been applied enough, or it could have been applied improperly.

Also, when you put the heat sink back on, be sure to put enough pressure. Too light and the heat won't transfer properly; too tight and you may end up damaging something. Just make sure it's firm when you reapply it. :) 


I took it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning today, but to no avail.

I don't know if this could be the culprit or not, but the could the general temperature outside and inside my dorm room cause these high temperatures? When I changed the thermal paste it wasn't really summer weather yet as the temperature outside was just around 15-18C, now it's around 25+ though, and my tiny dorm room gets really hot. I don't have AC and after the afternoon sun has left its mark, I sweat like a pig. My question is, could summer, coupled with Envy's already high temps, be the reason for this overheating?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
July 9, 2013 8:01:10 AM

Absolutely. Ambient temps play a part in any PC's ability to cool. Some people resort to custom water cooling solutions even.

http://www.asetek.com/laptop.html

25 C really isn't that hot, though (just below 80 F). I'd say when you get into the 30s C/high 80s F is when it begins to be noticeable, but then again, maybe your dorm room is hotter and stuffy. :( 

Do you have a chilling pad for it? That might help a bit.
Share
July 9, 2013 7:18:24 PM

Prostar Computer said:
Absolutely. Ambient temps play a part in any PC's ability to cool. Some people resort to custom water cooling solutions even.

http://www.asetek.com/laptop.html

25 C really isn't that hot, though (just below 80 F). I'd say when you get into the 30s C/high 80s F is when it begins to be noticeable, but then again, maybe your dorm room is hotter and stuffy. :( 

Do you have a chilling pad for it? That might help a bit.


Thanks for all the help, but I found a solution, and it worked! :D  After several internet searches I found that some Envy users claim that by going into Catalyst Control Center and changing PowerPlay settings to maximize battery life on both battery and plugged in. For some unexplainable reason (Maybe you have an explanation :)  ) this lowers the temperature generated by both CPU and GPU, but it doesn't significantly lower performance. After playing Max Payne 3 on high settings for a couple of hours, the highest temperature recorded on the CPU cores was 84C and 82.5C on the GPU.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help me, much appreciated!
m
0
l
!