Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

how good is the nvidia geforce gt 740M 2gb?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 3, 2013 2:13:11 PM

Can it play games like shogun 2 and battlefield on high graphics. I'm trying to decide if I should by a laptop with it in it, but wanted to make sure it could play current games. Thanks!
July 3, 2013 2:21:40 PM

GeForce GT 740M is a great mobile graphics card. It's based on the Kepler GK107 Core and offers 384 Shader Processing Units, on a 128-bit memory interface of DDR3. The central unit runs at 810MHz (890MHz in Turbo Mode) and the memory clock operates at up to 1000MHz. it may be able to run battlefield 3 at medium - high settings at 800 x 600. but battlefield 3 on even low graphics and resolution looks fantastic.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 2:31:46 PM

My friend has an older laptop with radeon HD 6770M and he can play shogun 2 on ultra settings. Would I be able to do that with this. Also, is there any benefit gained by having a laptop with radeon HD 8750M that also has a new and processor with 8000 graphics, do these work together to increase gaming performance?
m
0
l
Related resources
July 3, 2013 2:45:21 PM

kr0490 said:
My friend has an older laptop with radeon HD 6770M and he can play shogun 2 on ultra settings. Would I be able to do that with this. Also, is there any benefit gained by having a laptop with radeon HD 8750M that also has a new and processor with 8000 graphics, do these work together to increase gaming performance?


Yes, they both do. everything works together for increasing performance, generally speaking.

m
0
l
November 15, 2013 2:22:38 AM

Cokacola14 said:
GeForce GT 740M is a great mobile graphics card. It's based on the Kepler GK107 Core and offers 384 Shader Processing Units, on a 128-bit memory interface of DDR3. The central unit runs at 810MHz (890MHz in Turbo Mode) and the memory clock operates at up to 1000MHz. it may be able to run battlefield 3 at medium - high settings at 800 x 600. but battlefield 3 on even low graphics and resolution looks fantastic.


Cokacola14 said:
kr0490 said:
My friend has an older laptop with radeon HD 6770M and he can play shogun 2 on ultra settings. Would I be able to do that with this. Also, is there any benefit gained by having a laptop with radeon HD 8750M that also has a new and processor with 8000 graphics, do these work together to increase gaming performance?


Yes, they both do. everything works together for increasing performance, generally speaking.



you kidding? I have it and it runs battlefield 3 high on 720p

m
0
l
December 4, 2013 6:07:34 AM

ahaimour1224 said:
Cokacola14 said:
GeForce GT 740M is a great mobile graphics card. It's based on the Kepler GK107 Core and offers 384 Shader Processing Units, on a 128-bit memory interface of DDR3. The central unit runs at 810MHz (890MHz in Turbo Mode) and the memory clock operates at up to 1000MHz. it may be able to run battlefield 3 at medium - high settings at 800 x 600. but battlefield 3 on even low graphics and resolution looks fantastic.


Cokacola14 said:
kr0490 said:
My friend has an older laptop with radeon HD 6770M and he can play shogun 2 on ultra settings. Would I be able to do that with this. Also, is there any benefit gained by having a laptop with radeon HD 8750M that also has a new and processor with 8000 graphics, do these work together to increase gaming performance?


Yes, they both do. everything works together for increasing performance, generally speaking.



you kidding? I have it and it runs battlefield 3 high on 720p



How many fps can you get on high?
m
0
l
December 9, 2013 6:06:54 AM

Shaun0810 said:
ahaimour1224 said:
Cokacola14 said:
GeForce GT 740M is a great mobile graphics card. It's based on the Kepler GK107 Core and offers 384 Shader Processing Units, on a 128-bit memory interface of DDR3. The central unit runs at 810MHz (890MHz in Turbo Mode) and the memory clock operates at up to 1000MHz. it may be able to run battlefield 3 at medium - high settings at 800 x 600. but battlefield 3 on even low graphics and resolution looks fantastic.


Cokacola14 said:
kr0490 said:
My friend has an older laptop with radeon HD 6770M and he can play shogun 2 on ultra settings. Would I be able to do that with this. Also, is there any benefit gained by having a laptop with radeon HD 8750M that also has a new and processor with 8000 graphics, do these work together to increase gaming performance?


Yes, they both do. everything works together for increasing performance, generally speaking.



you kidding? I have it and it runs battlefield 3 high on 720p



How many fps can you get on high?


from 25-50, according to situation lag only comes when there are tons of things happening all at the same time and that rarely happens
m
0
l
December 10, 2013 12:09:32 AM

kr0490 said:
Can it play games like shogun 2 and battlefield on high graphics. I'm trying to decide if I should by a laptop with it in it, but wanted to make sure it could play current games. Thanks!


may i know what is the cost of the laptop u prefer,,,by the way friend gt740m is absolutly amazing card u r thinking of playing battlefield 3 it can play 4 also on high graphics,,,if not u should prefer a laptop with 6670m or 7770m
m
0
l
December 24, 2013 7:59:40 AM

There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).



m
0
l
December 31, 2013 7:35:50 AM

I have the gddr5 version in my Envy 15t-j100 ... With the i5-4330m and 6gbs of ram and the gt 740m 2gb Gddr5

Im able to get full res on my 15inch screen on medium high mixed settings in battlefield 4 and still get 50 fps..

Why does everyone say its underpowered?
m
0
l
December 31, 2013 7:43:07 AM

Ok i lied its not gddr5 i looked at it with gpu-z this is what i got and its wonderful :) 
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 1:36:28 AM

kr0490 said:
Can it play games like shogun 2 and battlefield on high graphics. I'm trying to decide if I should by a laptop with it in it, but wanted to make sure it could play current games. Thanks!


I have an Asus PC with i5 and Gt 740m 2gb. It runs Battlefield 3 on medium with constant 50-65 fps. Even when you bulk it up to high you can still get about 40-55 fps at 1366x768. Perfect for someone who want a cheap laptop to game some heavier games on :D 
m
0
l
January 27, 2014 7:03:29 PM

Peqi said:
kr0490 said:
Can it play games like shogun 2 and battlefield on high graphics. I'm trying to decide if I should by a laptop with it in it, but wanted to make sure it could play current games. Thanks!


I have an Asus PC with i5 and Gt 740m 2gb. It runs Battlefield 3 on medium with constant 50-65 fps. Even when you bulk it up to high you can still get about 40-55 fps at 1366x768. Perfect for someone who want a cheap laptop to game some heavier games on :D 


How to do have that setting?
I have asus i7 4500U and GT740M and i cannot run it at medium to high,i have average 45 fps on everything low except texture medium
What can i do for better results? please help
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 12:10:46 AM

GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 1:26:31 AM

pasitimusD said:
GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement


gk208 is stronger but with 64-bit memory interface. meanwhile the gk107 is weaker but supports a full 128-bit interface, so in the end it will only vary depending on the type of game
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 5:09:46 AM

ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement


gk208 is stronger but with 64-bit memory interface. meanwhile the gk107 is weaker but supports a full 128-bit interface, so in the end it will only vary depending on the type of game


i know that it is impossible to play battlefield 4 on the GK208 on high settings, but can it play similar games on medium settings? so all in all, it just a very small barely unnoticeable difference between the two variants? would you still say that the said GPU is great? thanks by the way for answering my question ^_^

m
0
l
February 14, 2014 8:49:31 AM

pasitimusD said:
ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement


gk208 is stronger but with 64-bit memory interface. meanwhile the gk107 is weaker but supports a full 128-bit interface, so in the end it will only vary depending on the type of game


i know that it is impossible to play battlefield 4 on the GK208 on high settings, but can it play similar games on medium settings? so all in all, it just a very small barely unnoticeable difference between the two variants? would you still say that the said GPU is great? thanks by the way for answering my question ^_^



I personally prefer the gk107 due to it's memory interface, but for games that need heavy processing and not fast memory I would go for a 208, RPG games are equal on both sides , but heavy fps games like crysis and battlefield tend to go for the processing of the 208, btw glad to answer your question
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 8:39:40 PM

ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement


gk208 is stronger but with 64-bit memory interface. meanwhile the gk107 is weaker but supports a full 128-bit interface, so in the end it will only vary depending on the type of game


i know that it is impossible to play battlefield 4 on the GK208 on high settings, but can it play similar games on medium settings? so all in all, it just a very small barely unnoticeable difference between the two variants? would you still say that the said GPU is great? thanks by the way for answering my question ^_^



I personally prefer the gk107 due to it's memory interface, but for games that need heavy processing and not fast memory I would go for a 208, RPG games are equal on both sides , but heavy fps games like crysis and battlefield tend to go for the processing of the 208, btw glad to answer your question


so for heavy fps games such as battle field, the GK208 performs better? well thats a piece of good news. Could you give me an example where the GK107 performs better than the GK208? i just want to know where and how my money will be spent. so all the pros and cons should be put in mind. again thanks a lot ^_^
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 9:30:38 PM

pasitimusD said:
ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement


gk208 is stronger but with 64-bit memory interface. meanwhile the gk107 is weaker but supports a full 128-bit interface, so in the end it will only vary depending on the type of game


i know that it is impossible to play battlefield 4 on the GK208 on high settings, but can it play similar games on medium settings? so all in all, it just a very small barely unnoticeable difference between the two variants? would you still say that the said GPU is great? thanks by the way for answering my question ^_^



I personally prefer the gk107 due to it's memory interface, but for games that need heavy processing and not fast memory I would go for a 208, RPG games are equal on both sides , but heavy fps games like crysis and battlefield tend to go for the processing of the 208, btw glad to answer your question


so for heavy fps games such as battle field, the GK208 performs better? well thats a piece of good news. Could you give me an example where the GK107 performs better than the GK208? i just want to know where and how my money will be spent. so all the pros and cons should be put in mind. again thanks a lot ^_^


games like gta 4 for example were too cpu bound and needed faster memory than processing power

also light openworld games would need the faster memory, such as minecraft, but not all, I've been across some that take the 208 better, you are better off with the 208 and 8gb ram, because the normal ram is faster than the gpu ram on that particular chip so to mix both, you just need to have the 208 and some good old ram
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 6:00:09 AM

ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
ahaimour1224 said:
pasitimusD said:
GenEva said:
There's 2 Nvidia cores on the 740m, so before there's to much hosanna: download gpu-z and check first before comparing apples and oranges. The GK107 is actually the lesser of the two cores... The GK208 is the best and fastest 740m. It uses higher clock speeds and better memory (GDDR5 vs. DDR3).





This is confusing. Some say that the GK208 is worse than that of the GK107. plus they are actually the same DDR3 in terms of memory. So please confirm your statement


gk208 is stronger but with 64-bit memory interface. meanwhile the gk107 is weaker but supports a full 128-bit interface, so in the end it will only vary depending on the type of game


i know that it is impossible to play battlefield 4 on the GK208 on high settings, but can it play similar games on medium settings? so all in all, it just a very small barely unnoticeable difference between the two variants? would you still say that the said GPU is great? thanks by the way for answering my question ^_^



I personally prefer the gk107 due to it's memory interface, but for games that need heavy processing and not fast memory I would go for a 208, RPG games are equal on both sides , but heavy fps games like crysis and battlefield tend to go for the processing of the 208, btw glad to answer your question


so for heavy fps games such as battle field, the GK208 performs better? well thats a piece of good news. Could you give me an example where the GK107 performs better than the GK208? i just want to know where and how my money will be spent. so all the pros and cons should be put in mind. again thanks a lot ^_^


games like gta 4 for example were too cpu bound and needed faster memory than processing power

also light openworld games would need the faster memory, such as minecraft, but not all, I've been across some that take the 208 better, you are better off with the 208 and 8gb ram, because the normal ram is faster than the gpu ram on that particular chip so to mix both, you just need to have the 208 and some good old ram


very well, would 6gb of ram be good? anyways, here is the deal, ive been sold (but im still hesistant) to buy this laptop. http://villman.com/Product-Detail/Toshiba_L40-A125XB. I would upgrade the ram into 6GB, and with the mentioned specs, you think this would be a good buy for me to play games on in? i'm not very demanding to graphics being good, i just want good FPS so low to medium settings is not a problem. thanks again ^_^ oh and by the way, the GPU mentioned is just another name for the geforce GT 740M
m
0
l
March 28, 2014 7:10:06 AM

Hi. I bought a toshiba laptop satellite l40-asx119. The specs are 8 GB ram (4 stock upgraded it to 8) core i5 4200U and Nvidia 740m GPU. When i play games like 2k14, the CPU temp reaches 81 C and GPU around 80+ as well. When i play battlefield 2, CPU reaches a whopping 90C and GPU even reached 100C. Am i missing something here? should i continue playing? Im already using some cheap external cooling fan. Idle and browsing temps are 50C CPU ave and 40-45 GPU average. All are measured by speccy. Also, is battlefield 4 heavier in terms of GPU load? cause battlefield 2 have no problems using medium settings. thanks!!
m
0
l
!