Solved

Good PSU For watercooling, future GPUs?

So I've been looking into getting a new PSU. My TX 650 has served me well for two and a half years, but I can definitely do better.

My reasons being: so I can clean up the clutter of wires this non-modular unit leaves at the bottom of my case, so that I don't start getting too close to base PSU requirements for GPUs (I plan to upgrade my GPU next year and some GTX 780s w/aftermarket coolers already require 600w), and because I think some time between the end of this summer and the end of next summer I am going to switch to real water cooling (with something like this kit).

With that in mind, I was thinking a small bump up in wattage would serve me fine, so I was thinking either this Corsair HX 750 or the HX 850.

I've heard that water cooling requires over 1000w PSUs. Is this true? I feel like it wouldn't be. But I plan to add a GPU block to the kit I've linked to prior.

Thanks for your help.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good psu watercooling future gpus
  1. Best answer
    Who told you that? Water-cooling does not take any more power than an air-cooled computer. The only (small amount of) power that you need is for the pump, and that shouldn't make a difference. There are fans and other things, but it is not true at all that one would need 1000W. I would simply get a PSU with a good buffer. If your system is going to be 600-650W, get the HX750. If 650-700, I would probably stick with the HX850 just to be safe. :)
    Getting blocks does not increase your need for wattage! :)
  2. paradoxeternal said:
    So I've been looking into getting a new PSU. My TX 650 has served me well for two and a half years, but I can definitely do better.

    My reasons being: so I can clean up the clutter of wires this non-modular unit leaves at the bottom of my case, so that I don't start getting too close to base PSU requirements for GPUs (I plan to upgrade my GPU next year and some GTX 780s w/aftermarket coolers already require 600w), and because I think some time between the end of this summer and the end of next summer I am going to switch to real water cooling (with something like this kit).

    With that in mind, I was thinking a small bump up in wattage would serve me fine, so I was thinking either this Corsair HX 750 or the HX 850.

    I've heard that water cooling requires over 1000w PSUs. Is this true? I feel like it wouldn't be. But I plan to add a GPU block to the kit I've linked to prior.

    Thanks for your help.


    Whenever I'm in doubt, I just use a powersupply calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

    It's not entirely accurate, but it does give you a point of reference to work with. As for water cooling, it does require a bit more power than air cooling for the pump, but I'm pretty sure it's not that much (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken).
  3. robnof said:
    paradoxeternal said:
    So I've been looking into getting a new PSU. My TX 650 has served me well for two and a half years, but I can definitely do better.

    My reasons being: so I can clean up the clutter of wires this non-modular unit leaves at the bottom of my case, so that I don't start getting too close to base PSU requirements for GPUs (I plan to upgrade my GPU next year and some GTX 780s w/aftermarket coolers already require 600w), and because I think some time between the end of this summer and the end of next summer I am going to switch to real water cooling (with something like this kit).

    With that in mind, I was thinking a small bump up in wattage would serve me fine, so I was thinking either this Corsair HX 750 or the HX 850.

    I've heard that water cooling requires over 1000w PSUs. Is this true? I feel like it wouldn't be. But I plan to add a GPU block to the kit I've linked to prior.

    Thanks for your help.


    Whenever I'm in doubt, I just use a powersupply calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

    It's not entirely accurate, but it does give you a point of reference to work with. As for water cooling, it does require a bit more power than air cooling for the pump, but I'm pretty sure it's not that much (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken).


    So yeah, pretty much what I said. :)
    And no, you aren't mistaken.
  4. You specified and linked a custom watercooling kit you're looking at. I found the pump specs at the same site:
    http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-vario-with-front-cover-12-barbs
    37 watts there.
    The fans are labeled as 12V 0.23A, so 2.76 watts each.
  5. MauveCloud said:
    You specified and linked a custom watercooling kit you're looking at. I found the pump specs at the same site:
    http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-vario-with-front-cover-12-barbs
    37 watts there.
    The fans are labeled as 12V 0.23A, so 2.76 watts each.

    I was under the impression that they spin at a lower rpm, so that they actually use less power than standard case fans.
  6. Thanks for all the answers. The PSU wattage calculator site isn't working for me, but I think I saw some formulas to calculate how much wattage I'd be using with overclocked CPUs and GPUs. I'm going to go find those but I feel like the 850 will be more than enough to last me through a couple future builds. The only thing I'm unsure of is if I'll be upgrading the CPU/motherboard, since haswell wasn't much of a bump from ivybridge, and next year will just be a die shrink.
  7. paradoxeternal said:
    Thanks for all the answers. The PSU wattage calculator site isn't working for me, but I think I saw some formulas to calculate how much wattage I'd be using with overclocked CPUs and GPUs. I'm going to go find those but I feel like the 850 will be more than enough to last me through a couple future builds. The only thing I'm unsure of is if I'll be upgrading the CPU/motherboard, since haswell wasn't much of a bump from ivybridge, and next year will just be a die shrink.


    If you're pressed for money, get the IB. If not, the extra $50 or so for Haswell can't hurt.
    Don't forget to choose a B.A.; it makes the forums happy :)
  8. dannyboy2233 said:
    paradoxeternal said:
    Thanks for all the answers. The PSU wattage calculator site isn't working for me, but I think I saw some formulas to calculate how much wattage I'd be using with overclocked CPUs and GPUs. I'm going to go find those but I feel like the 850 will be more than enough to last me through a couple future builds. The only thing I'm unsure of is if I'll be upgrading the CPU/motherboard, since haswell wasn't much of a bump from ivybridge, and next year will just be a die shrink.


    If you're pressed for money, get the IB. If not, the extra $50 or so for Haswell can't hurt.
    Don't forget to choose a B.A.; it makes the forums happy :)


    Oh, didn't even realize i hadn't selected a BA. And I have an ivy-bridge now actually, I was more talking about upgrading that next year or the year after.
  9. paradoxeternal said:
    dannyboy2233 said:
    paradoxeternal said:
    Thanks for all the answers. The PSU wattage calculator site isn't working for me, but I think I saw some formulas to calculate how much wattage I'd be using with overclocked CPUs and GPUs. I'm going to go find those but I feel like the 850 will be more than enough to last me through a couple future builds. The only thing I'm unsure of is if I'll be upgrading the CPU/motherboard, since haswell wasn't much of a bump from ivybridge, and next year will just be a die shrink.


    If you're pressed for money, get the IB. If not, the extra $50 or so for Haswell can't hurt.
    Don't forget to choose a B.A.; it makes the forums happy :)


    Oh, didn't even realize i hadn't selected a BA. And I have an ivy-bridge now actually, I was more talking about upgrading that next year or the year after.




    Haha no worries; it's just one of those things I automatically type towards the end of a thread :P
    And there have been speculations that the next Intel processor will use a completely different socket, so I wouldn't completely count on upgradability. However, go with whatever you feel is right in terms of price. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Water Cooling Power Supplies Components