Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD 7770 - Not able to have all 3 monitors displaying simultaneously

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2013 5:54:35 PM

Hi!

I recently bought a pre-built desktop from HP called the HP Envy Phoenix. Details here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products...

It comes with a AMD Radeon HD 7770, which has inputs for DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.

I bought 3 X monitors. S27B350H from Samsung. Details here: http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27B350HS/...

Until recently, I was only using 2 monitors because the third was still being delivered. The setup was as follows:

Monitor 1: HDMI (from monitor) to DVI (graphics card). Worked great.
Monitor 2: HDMI (from monitor) to HDMI (graphics card). Worked great.

Then I added the third monitor this evening as such: HDMI to HDMI cable + DisplayPort adapter to the graphics card.

This is what happened:

Monitor 1: HDMI to DVI. Still working great.
Monitor 2: HDMI to HDMI. Turned off, red light blinking.
Monitor 3: HDMI to HDMI + DisplayPort adapter. Works, became Monitor 2.

The moment I plugged in the third monitor with the HDMI to HDMI + DisplayPort adapter, the 2nd monitor turned off and the third monitor displayed what the 2nd used to. When I unplug the third, the 2nd one comes on, and vice versa. There's always one off.

The monitor has two inputs: HDMI and VGA. So I tried VGA to DisplayPort, and it didn't work either. Worse, it shrinked the resolution and added the dreaded black border on all. I had to system restore to get them all back to normal.

I've heard of people suggesting using an active DisplayPort adapter, but I'm not sure if that will fix it. Nor am I certain whether or not I'm already using one.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I should add that I've tried installing the drivers from the disc provided with the monitors, and installing Catalyst. No luck.

Also, when I go into the Control Panel and head into Devices, I can see all three monitors listed there.
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2013 6:06:42 PM

You are required to use an active display port adapter. You are not using one. It won't work till you do. There are also no active display port to hdmi adapters that I'm aware of.
m
l
July 3, 2013 6:23:25 PM

unksol said:
You are required to use an active display port adapter. You are not using one. It won't work till you do. There are also no active display port to hdmi adapters that I'm aware of.

Okay, so in light of this, what would you recommend I do? The monitor has HDMI and VGA, and the card has DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.

Edit: I just looked it up, wouldn't this work? http://ca.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/Displa...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b C Monitor
July 3, 2013 6:55:30 PM

seems expensive, but yea it should work. It might be cheaper to get an active display port to DVI adapter, and a DVI to hdmi adapter or cable.

July 3, 2013 9:04:24 PM

unksol said:
seems expensive, but yea it should work. It might be cheaper to get an active display port to DVI adapter, and a DVI to hdmi adapter or cable.

Thanks, I'll get one ASAP and let you know how it goes.
m
l
!