$900 pc build for friend.

Dmitriy Kuzmich

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
He wants a pc that would play COD black ops 2 and minecraft on high to ultra settings. And cod ghosts. He also wants to record the gameplay and edit some videos. Ive put together some parts but I still want some opinions.

Intel i5 3570k plus asrock z77 extreme 6- $344.78 as microcenter bundle.

Crucial ballistix sport 8GB 2x4 ddr3 1600 - $75

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Internal SATA Model ihas324-07 - $70

CM Storm enforcer - $75

Xfx core edition 550 watt power supply - $70

Msi gtx 760 oc - $250

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Internal SATA Model ihas324-07 - $25

total=$915

he has a 32 inch lg tv thats 1080p (1920 x 1080) 60Hz. He was wondering if he could use that as a monitor as first boot and primary monitor.

He may be overclocking later but not now so when he wants to the cm 212 evo would be good right?

He also really wants an i5 and no need for os either.

Solution

Would it do better in rendering videos and such. I think I will stick with the i5. But just seeing if I can get an i7 cheeper then an i5. [/quotemsg]
It is your choice. And yes the i7 is better for render and cpu intensive work. I dont know where you saw the i7 is worst in gaming. I find them about the same. If you mean price to performance the i5 does much better. Go with the i5 if you think that your friend will do more gaming then video editing. If that's the case you won't need over 8gb of ram. The i7 does very well when it...

fizzyfez

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Honestly you don't need a $70 dvd writes a $20 one will do. The 760 is a beast for a price and is perfect to play those games. put the money for the DVD writer into more ram. And if he is doing video editing even though the i5 is amazing the i7 is still better. Paired with a asus p8z77x its some how cheaper on microcenter at $335. Other than that everything looks fine. I heard the asus cuii cooler is better but the msi is also fine. Btw a ssd might do wonders in that build. Good luck!

icypyro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
the hyper 212 evo will work great for him. You can get a decent overclock on it with that cooler. He will be able to use that TV as a monitor, as long as the has the hdmi cable to suffice. This build will work well for the games you suggested.

Dmitriy Kuzmich

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013

Whoops I meant to put $25. Sorry. And okay ill see about the i7. Thanks for the response.

icypyro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I wouldn't go with more RAM. It's not necessary unless you're doing server work or using memory intensive programs such as Adobe AE or Sony Vegas. i would rather put some money into the cooler actually. The Cooler Master Seidon 120m and the 120xl Liquid coolers are both on sale at the moment.

icypyro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

The i7 won't give you any increased performance over the i5 in games, just so you know. There are even benchmarks that show that it has worse performance in games. I would advice against it and stick with the i5.

fizzyfez

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

He also said his friend does video editing and I've said that i7 is better and as for the ram for render intensive work its a necessity. I've just found him a better deal for less an i7 with an asus (overclockable) board for 10 dollars less then he would have paid for a i5 with an asus mobo. And the hyper 212 is an amazing cooler i also recommend it.

Dmitriy Kuzmich

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
The i7 won't give you any increased performance over the i5 in games, just so you know. There are even benchmarks that show that it has worse performance in games. I would advice against it and stick with the i5.
[/quotemsg]

Would it do better in rendering videos and such. I think I will stick with the i5. But just seeing if I can get an i7 cheeper then an i5.

fizzyfez

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

Would it do better in rendering videos and such. I think I will stick with the i5. But just seeing if I can get an i7 cheeper then an i5. [/quotemsg]
It is your choice. And yes the i7 is better for render and cpu intensive work. I dont know where you saw the i7 is worst in gaming. I find them about the same. If you mean price to performance the i5 does much better. Go with the i5 if you think that your friend will do more gaming then video editing. If that's the case you won't need over 8gb of ram. The i7 does very well when it comes to editing. The i5 is amazing for gaming. Get the one with a better deal and the one you feel most comfortable with. Good luck! Oops ya I ment to say p8z77-v. :D

Solution

icypyro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Actually for video editing, the CUDA cores on the Geforce card will work wonders.
CUDA-3ds-Max-iRay.png