Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best liquid cpu cooler for haswell for the money

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 4, 2013 12:14:01 AM

Hey everyone,
I have been doing a lot of research on haswell cpu's and i would like to know what liquid cpu cooler would best match an i5 4670k since these processors supposedly run way hotter than ivy bridge. Right now i am planning to get the new corsair h60
"2013 edition" and would like some input.

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:19:42 AM

The H60 for the price is a terrible cooler when you can get air coolers that are so much better for the same price. I'd say the H80i is probably the best for the money, or the Antec H20 920. But air coolers such as the Noctua NH-D14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE work better than these water coolers. If you're serious about water cooling, then the H100i, Swiftech H220 or Kraken X60 are the way to go.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:27:34 AM

sophiebeth100 said:
The H60 for the price is a terrible cooler when you can get air coolers that are so much better for the same price. I'd say the H80i is probably the best for the money, or the Antec H20 920. But air coolers such as the Noctua NH-D14 or the Phanteks PH-TC14PE work better than these water coolers. If you're serious about water cooling, then the H100i, Swiftech H220 or Kraken X60 are the way to go.


Couldn't have said it better. Although if your not serious about water cooling OP, I would suggest the Hyper 212EVO. Can easily outperform the h60. or any other $60 water cooler.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 175 à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:42:12 AM

yeah... there are only a handful of closed loop water coolers that will out perform an air cooler... and the h60 isn't one of them. Now... if you can get a deal like i did on this h100... ($50, new) then jump on it. the h100, h110, h100i, h80i are all better then almost every air cooler you could get. Trick is they're not THAT much better and most of the air coolers they're competing against run in the $40-$80 range.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:43:58 AM

ingtar33 said:
yeah... there are only a handful of closed loop water coolers that will out perform an air cooler... and the h60 isn't one of them. Now... if you can get a deal like i did on this h100... ($50, new) then jump on it. the h100, h110, h100i, h80i are all better then almost every air cooler you could get. Trick is they're not THAT much better and most of the air coolers they're competing against run in the $40-$80 range.


h100 for $50? what a steal!
m
0
l
July 4, 2013 12:44:04 AM

So, would you guys say that its a smart idea to go to haswell or stay with ivy bridge? I dont want to encounter any problems with overheating cpus or anything of that matter.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:46:40 AM

amdman599 said:
So, would you guys say that its a smart idea to go to haswell or stay with ivy bridge? I dont want to encounter any problems with overheating cpus or anything of that matter.


If you have Ivy now then, of course, stick with that. But if not then go for Haswell - the Z87 chipset is better than the Z77 and the chips are also marginally better. Granted, you may not be able to get as high an overclock, but with one of the air coolers I listed or a high-end water cooler, the overclock you get should be high enough for you needs. You should even be able to get 4GHz off of the Hyper 212 Evo, which is great considering the price.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:48:02 AM

amdman599 said:
So, would you guys say that its a smart idea to go to haswell or stay with ivy bridge? I dont want to encounter any problems with overheating cpus or anything of that matter.


I would stay with Ivy, it's cheaper and for Haswell, has... well.. it has a improvement over Ivy, but not much. Haswell CPU's also tend to get hot due to the poor IHS contact/heat transfer.
m
0
l
a c 175 à CPUs
July 4, 2013 12:50:49 AM

aredflyingbird said:

h100 for $50? what a steal!


i know. i wasn't even planning to get one because i liked my air cooler... But i couldn't resist that price. I got it at that price because it was an "openned box" and was missing all the screws and mounting hardware. The store guaranteed corsair would honor their warranty with the h100 (and i confirmed it hadn't been mounted on a cpu or otherwise used). So i got it, contacted Corsair as i walked out the door, and had all the mounting hardware in my hand 7 days later (no cost to me).

Right now it's cooling my cpu... one hell of a beastly cooler, gotta tell you i love it; great deal, great cpu cooler.

amdman599 said:
So, would you guys say that its a smart idea to go to haswell or stay with ivy bridge? I don't want to encounter any problems with overheating cpus or anything of that matter.


Stay with IB. chances are you'll never be able to tell the difference between the haswell and IB. not enough performance gain to justify the added expense
m
0
l
July 4, 2013 12:54:09 AM

Soon I will be purchasing some parts and i just wanted to be sure that i will be making the right choice. I have read a couple of reviews and they pretty much summarize Haswell CPU's as being best for laptops and that they are a poor choice for desktop gamers like myself. In other words that is the only thing i cant stop thinking about. Nevertheless i know that i will be getting a performance increase, small but good.
m
0
l
!