Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM cannot display above 1920x1080

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 4, 2013 2:42:37 PM

I'm just after setting up my new U2713HM that I purchased during the week. The problem is, I cannot change the resolution to 2560x1440. I'm stuck at 1920x1080, which Windows insists is the "recommended" resolution.

I've updated the drivers on my HD 7970.

I've rechecked to see that I 'do' in fact have a Dual Link DVI and that it's in the correct slot.

I've updated the drivers on the monitor.

But all to no avail. So with that said, any input would be very welcome! :) 
July 4, 2013 2:47:23 PM

Make 100% sure its dual link and not just DVI, easy mistake to make. Also what version of Windows are you using? Have heard of people having this issue on 8.
July 4, 2013 2:52:28 PM

cookybiscuit said:
Make 100% sure its dual link and not just DVI, easy mistake to make. Also what version of Windows are you using? Have heard of people having this issue on 8.


I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit.

Yeah, It's the DVI-D connection. It looks like this: http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/dual-dvi.jpg
Related resources

Best solution

July 4, 2013 2:54:31 PM
Share

dalgcais said:
I'm just after setting up my new U2713HM that I purchased during the week. The problem is, I cannot change the resolution to 2560x1440. I'm stuck at 1920x1080, which Windows insists is the "recommended" resolution.

I've updated the drivers on my HD 7970.

I've rechecked to see that I 'do' in fact have a Dual Link DVI and that it's in the correct slot.

I've updated the drivers on the monitor.

But all to no avail. So with that said, any input would be very welcome! :) 


cooky might be right bout win8.

But, that monitor should have come with a displ port cable, have you tried
it in place of DVI?

July 4, 2013 2:57:00 PM

toyftw said:
cooky might be right bout win8.

But, that monitor should have come with a displ port cable, have you tried
it in place of DVI?



Unfortunately it didn't come with a Display Port cable.

But I'll pick one up after work tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
July 4, 2013 3:00:13 PM

dalgcais said:
toyftw said:
cooky might be right bout win8.

But, that monitor should have come with a displ port cable, have you tried
it in place of DVI?



Unfortunately it didn't come with a Display Port cable.

But I'll pick one up after work tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.


K - let us know (I am considering that monitor myself)

July 5, 2013 7:24:44 AM

toyftw said:


K - let us know (I am considering that monitor myself)



OP delivers!

Went and bought a cheap Display Port cable and it's fixed the problem. I can now finally jack up the resolution.

So for anyone reading this and considering a Dell U2713hm, make sure you buy a display port cable before the package arrives at your door. The dual DVI that comes with the screen is useless.

As far as the screen is concerned, toyftw, it's great; the picture quality is fantastic and the product itself is well built. One thing I will say though is, there seems to be an issue with backlight bleeding - something which isn't foreign to Dell monitors.

I'm going to see if I can adjust to the bleed; and if not, I'll contact Dell to replace it.
July 5, 2013 7:33:24 AM

dalgcais said:
toyftw said:


K - let us know (I am considering that monitor myself)



OP delivers!

Went and bought a cheap Display Port cable and it's fixed the problem. I can now finally jack up the resolution.

So for anyone reading this and considering a Dell U2713hm, make sure you buy a display port cable before the package arrives at your door. The dual DVI that comes with the screen is useless.

As far as the screen is concerned, toyftw, it's great; the picture quality is fantastic and the product itself is well built. One thing I will say though is, there seems to be an issue with backlight bleeding - something which isn't foreign to Dell monitors.

I'm going to see if I can adjust to the bleed; and if not, I'll contact Dell to replace it.


Gr8! - The dual DVI should also deliver max resolution, so you might want to contact
Dell / GPU mfg anyway.

October 26, 2013 10:01:04 AM

I know this is an old thread, but it may help someone else.

I have an Asustek HD6850 card with dual dual link DVI and the same dual U2713HM monitors you have. But, if you use both DVI ports, one of them drops the res to 1920X1080. Total BS if you ask me.

Anyway, I went with a DP cable and it fixed it for me too. Recently, I booted my machine and the res dropped again even with the DP cable. Turned out the cable was screwy. New cable, back to working again. I have never had a cable do that before.
October 26, 2013 12:35:19 PM

picasso566 said:
I know this is an old thread, but it may help someone else.

I have an Asustek HD6850 card with dual dual link DVI and the same dual U2713HM monitors you have. But, if you use both DVI ports, one of them drops the res to 1920X1080. Total BS if you ask me.

Anyway, I went with a DP cable and it fixed it for me too. Recently, I booted my machine and the res dropped again even with the DP cable. Turned out the cable was screwy. New cable, back to working again. I have never had a cable do that before.


Hi - been down that road too, was ready to scrap a monitor & it turned out to be a bad DVI cable. I'm waiting for my (new, but older model#, U2410) Dell monitor now.


January 7, 2014 2:09:42 AM

Need displayport cable? .... BS !
I washed time trying to track down this cable before I bought my Dell 27" (hard to come by in this tiny town of Melbourne /Australia)
Anyhow, just hooked up the Dell supplied DVI-D cable to my GTX570 & boom! 2,560 x 1,440 res straight up no drivers or Win7 adjustment needed. NO Displayport cable needed.

Looks awwwwwwwesome !!!!!
April 4, 2014 5:56:57 AM

wuzn me said:
Need displayport cable? .... BS !
I washed time trying to track down this cable before I bought my Dell 27" (hard to come by in this tiny town of Melbourne /Australia)
Anyhow, just hooked up the Dell supplied DVI-D cable to my GTX570 & boom! 2,560 x 1,440 res straight up no drivers or Win7 adjustment needed. NO Displayport cable needed.

Looks awwwwwwwesome !!!!!


I plugged in the supplied Dual-DVI display cable to my Macbook Air (2013 model running Mavericks) and the settings tabs still won't let me select a resolution above 1920x1080 :( 

Any advice on the OSX platform?
!