New £1100 system not working

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Good morning,

I recently build a new machine (last night) and followed the instruction manual for each part. Everything seems to fit correctly and all cables seemed to be where they should be. However, I'm using an old hard drive with an already installed version of Windows 7 64 bit. The BIOS loads correctly and shows all parts are connected but once I try to boot from the drive it shows the 'Windows Loading' screen and then stops and gives me a BSOD stating "Bad_Pool_Header". I'm very nervous that I may have damaged one of the parts during installation and would be disappointing as I've saved for three months just to build this... total anti-climax feeling last night!

Any insight into this would be great. Please see below for my specs:

CPU - Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Ram - Patriot 8GB (2x 4GB) 1600MHz Dual Channel DDR3 Viper 3 Black Mamba Memory Kit

SSD - Crucial CT128M4SSD2 128GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s MLC 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

HDD - Not sure of make and model, sorry.

MOBO - AsRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, USB 3.0, 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content

Case - Cooler Master HAF X USB 3.0 XL ATX Case

PSU - OCZ ZX Series 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

GPU - KFA2 GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

CPU Cooler - V8 Cooler Master

All parts are brand new and only came out of the box last night once everything arrived. I'm totally at a loss as what to do next but I've been unable to install any drivers for the mobo and gpu as I can't access windows. Would it be down to the old version of windows not being compatible with the new hardware? I'm just praying this is not a hardware :/

Thank you for your time and efforts, I appreciate any help. Furthermore, please don't hesitate to request further information.

Kind regards,
Aphex500

Solution
Do a clean install of Windows. It's generally not a great idea to use a boot drive from one machine on another.
The SSD should be your boot drive, anyways. Why are you trying to use an old drive?

xomm

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Do a clean install of Windows. It's generally not a great idea to use a boot drive from one machine on another.
The SSD should be your boot drive, anyways. Why are you trying to use an old drive?

Solution

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I'll give it a go later on this weekend. I did plan on doing this but a family member took the windows 7 disc a wee while back so have to wait for its return :/

Thank you for taking the time to post :)

Kind regards,
Aphex500

Sean Martin

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
yeah using an old hdd with another install of windows is generaly a very bad idea, as before it loads into windows it tries to reinstall a myriad of drivers and motherboard settings which usually end of conflicting and bsod.

my advice is to use a new drive as the new primary and then once setup you use the old drive as a storage and just copy over your old content and format it after.

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I did plan on using the SSD as the main drive at the time as I believed that I still had my copy of windows. I then discovered that it had been taken by a family member so removed my old drive just to see if the system would load. Everything appears ok but that error shows up just as windows starts to load and then it loops back to restart. I'll try a fresh install once I get my disc back and update you on my progress.

Kind regards,
Aphex500

aphex500

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Well after a few days of tweaking, removing and testing parts it finally came down to a faulty stick of RAM. I've managed to get the system running on 4gb but have had to send the 8gb back for replacement. Would like to take the time to say thank you for all your answers!