FX 6350 or FX 8320?

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
With in the next 3 months I want to make a purchase. I'm kind of done with the Phenom II x4 840. It for some reason doesn't allow me to use all 8gb of my Memory. It only allows me to use the last 2 sticks (4Gb) in single channel @ 1333Mhz. And I know this be cause of the LEDs on my crucial ballistix tactical tracer RAM.

Intel isn't an option.

So, FX 6350 or FX 8320. I can get the 6350 for $130 and the FX 8320 for $150. Which will benefit me more, the 2 extra cores, or the better OC ability of the FX 6350?

I've heard the x350s usually OC better. Is that true?

Solution
Pardon the obvious question, but have you verified in BIOS and/or Windows that only 4GB of RAM is being used?

Assuming you have an AM3+ mobo, I expect you plan to use it with the new CPU; your memory problem may not be due to your processor, but may instead be an issue the board. If you have access to another board or another CPU, it would be prudent to test this.

As for which proc you should upgrade to - I can't tell you which OC's better, but at the clocks each are capable of, I doubt you'll see any real world performance difference between them, so I recommend going with as many cores as possible.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Pardon the obvious question, but have you verified in BIOS and/or Windows that only 4GB of RAM is being used?

Assuming you have an AM3+ mobo, I expect you plan to use it with the new CPU; your memory problem may not be due to your processor, but may instead be an issue the board. If you have access to another board or another CPU, it would be prudent to test this.

As for which proc you should upgrade to - I can't tell you which OC's better, but at the clocks each are capable of, I doubt you'll see any real world performance difference between them, so I recommend going with as many cores as possible.

Solution

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Lol, my Ph II x4 840 is out of another rig that got fried from a bad PSU. I'm sure it's the CPU. At default settings when I first started up the PC, all 4 dimms were running then all of the sudden 2 cut out. My BIOS confirmed that I have 8Gb memory and 3.98Gb usable. And My memory isn't the problem. I know that because I've switched sides with each channel and both sets ran fine. I'm thinking of running a mem test though.

So that's one person who recommends 8 cores. :D thanks for helping! (I'm feeling I'm going this route, but I'm trying to see if anyone can convince me otherwise)

the 6350 doesn't really have better OC ability, the clocks are so high already it leaves less room for OC. For older games and games that arent as optimised for more than 4 core cpu's, the 6350 would be better due to its higher clock speed. For games coming out in the future, they may be optimized better for more cores, as crysis 3 has shown to be, the 8320 is better. If it were me i would take the 8320, it can easily be OC'd to 8350 speeds and beyond.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

SO long as I don't have any stupid money issues come up, I should be doing this :D

TRENDING THREADS