which 7950 brand to buy ?

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, I was just wondering how BIG of an upgrade of an upgrade it would be if I switched from my 6790 HIS 1 gig to a 7950 belonging to a good brand

I was going for sapphire vapor X for good cooling, but I will also be overclocking as 520 watt psu will be good enough for that.

resolution: 1080p

budget- 290-310

Games: from most importance to least: Rome two total war, HEAVILY modded skyrim (were talking enb, 2k textures and much more) and gta 5. All will be on max settings EXCEPT antialising and shadows. So can someone please be kind enough to guestimate the fps I will have on average ?

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it

or should I look at the gtx 760 4 gig ?

I hope to the ruler of bathos this card will overclock good.

Solution
The vram with radeon cards is like candy to them, you can pretty much do whatever you want like 4k textures in skyrim or 8k if available and it still hit some amazing fps without v.sync enabled. 4GB of VRAM is wasted in Skyrim, as a 32-bit executable, Skyrim maxes at exactly 4GB of total RAM, split between VRAM and system RAM. The best case scenario for performance is Skyrim using 2GB of system RAM and 2GB of VRAM. A 760 or a 7950 will trade blows in Skyrim. Meanwhile, a 7950 is superior in all other older games and probably nex gen games since they will be amd favored. A 760 takes the lead again in DX11 and PhysX heavy games.

as for op either cards will do jsut fine. The 760 is the better card, assuming you don't plan to overclock. If...
Jun 29, 2013

go with a gtx 760 instead, it is on par with an hd7950 and it is newer and has CUDA cores while the 7950 has none

iiTzzDeFuze

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
The vram with radeon cards is like candy to them, you can pretty much do whatever you want like 4k textures in skyrim or 8k if available and it still hit some amazing fps without v.sync enabled. 4GB of VRAM is wasted in Skyrim, as a 32-bit executable, Skyrim maxes at exactly 4GB of total RAM, split between VRAM and system RAM. The best case scenario for performance is Skyrim using 2GB of system RAM and 2GB of VRAM. A 760 or a 7950 will trade blows in Skyrim. Meanwhile, a 7950 is superior in all other older games and probably nex gen games since they will be amd favored. A 760 takes the lead again in DX11 and PhysX heavy games.

as for op either cards will do jsut fine. The 760 is the better card, assuming you don't plan to overclock. If you DO overclock, the 7950 will have more horsepower, but will lose out in games with heavy physics or tessellation.Nvidia ambient occlusion kind of sucks in Skyrim. It's poorly optimized and only improves the visual quality slightly.

7950 is the way to go for skyrim and the upcoming games since its amd favored.
I would pick the GIG version since it will keep it cool but the SAP is perfectly fine.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414

Solution
Jun 29, 2013
for newer games with heavy physics, get a 760. for older games, get the 7950. as for the VRAM, i dont think you would really need 4gb. if you're doing professional rendering, 4gb is good. but if you're only playing, 2-3gb is enough