FX-8350 vs I7 3770 for virtualization build, low price difference

Mattc0421

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I am building a machine that will be primarily used for vmware workstation 9 and nested esxi environments. I am secondarily going to use this machine for gaming and hope to play games such as Ac4 and bf4. the machine will have 32gb of ram, and a mid range GPU.

I am able to purchase a 8350 for $290 NZ with 2yr warranty, OR a new 3770 for $320 Nz but only a month warranty. I have been content on going the way of amd due to the intel cpu having a $425 RRP, but this lower price has forced me to reconsider. Im looking for suggestions on which option is better for my needs? If anyone can inform me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
The more real cores the merrier if you're thinking of making use of all 8 threads (4 Dual core or 8 Single core VM stations for example). If you're not going to be making use of all 8 cores than the 3770 would be faster (4 cores with Hyperthreading) if you are then the FX-8350 would be faster (8 Cores with shared FPU resources).

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
The more real cores the merrier if you're thinking of making use of all 8 threads (4 Dual core or 8 Single core VM stations for example). If you're not going to be making use of all 8 cores than the 3770 would be faster (4 cores with Hyperthreading) if you are then the FX-8350 would be faster (8 Cores with shared FPU resources).

Solution

Mattc0421

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

ah i see, i definitely will be making use of all cores at once. I had thought that a thread on the 3770 wouldnt be too much slower than a core on the 8350 but seeing as it is ill definately go with the 8350. Thanks

Matthew Salmon

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
i7 3770 every day of the week.. Half the power consumption - OC's easily to 4.2GHZ where it wipes the floor with the 8350 at same clock.
Its also feature rich in terms of server functionality and would really outperform the AMD in that area

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Well there is some truth to this, assuming we're talking about the 3770K as the 3770 doesn't overclock, in terms of gaming performance on games designed with a Dual or Quad Core CPU. The 3770K doesn't support the Intel Virtualization Technologies (disabled on the K models of the Mainstream Intel CPUs). The problem with that is that the OP stated that the machine would primarilly be used for VMWare Workstation 9 and nested ESXi Environments.

Under such conditions (Virtualization that is) the AMD FX-8350 performs nicely as seen here. The AMD FX-8350 also does well in BF3 (and seeing as BF4 is even more CPU Threaded/Intensive we can only speculate thatthe AMD FX-8350 will perform well in that title as well).