6950 crossfire heat

LoreEnforcer420

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I've just installed a second 6950 in my PC and it seems to be running about 82-90 degrees C, I'm wondering if this is normal, and on my motherboard (asus sabertooth x58) it seems to have a 3rd pci slot, maybe 4x or 8x, would i decrease in performance by using that? just so that it has a bit of room to breath

Solution
x8 wouldn't hurt the performance, but x4 would. But you would need a long enough bridge connector to reach. GFX cards run hotter than CPUs. Most cards have a mx GPU temp range of 90C - 100C. But yes, that is getting kinda warm. Your case may need better airflow too. The top card is the master card that always runs. the 2nd card is only used in 3D gaming mainly.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
x8 wouldn't hurt the performance, but x4 would. But you would need a long enough bridge connector to reach. GFX cards run hotter than CPUs. Most cards have a mx GPU temp range of 90C - 100C. But yes, that is getting kinda warm. Your case may need better airflow too. The top card is the master card that always runs. the 2nd card is only used in 3D gaming mainly.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I was just thinking... that HD 6950 is a couple years old or more. If it has been running hot for some time, it may need its TIM (thermal paste) replaced. After a few years, it can dry out and lose its ability to transfer heat properly. You can use a commercial TIM remover or just some isopropyl alcohol. Then put a small dab or a thin coat of something like MX-4 on the GPU's heat spreader.