Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How much would a Fx 8350 increase performance from a phenom 965 @ 4ghz in gaming

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 6, 2013 10:47:20 PM

I mainly want to see a decent 5-10 frames in games before I consider an upgrade . I currently have a hd 7850.

Best solution

July 6, 2013 10:58:29 PM

not much. You get a better physics score in 3dmark, but the increase is hardly justified by the upgrade Price. I have Phenom II x4 965 and i will not be upgrading at the moment. Óverclock your CPU and use your Money on better GPU - it will be better spent, and THAT will give you more FPS!
Here is a direct comparison between the two: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-...
Share
July 6, 2013 10:58:34 PM

XSoloDolo said:
I mainly want to see a decent 5-10 frames in games before I consider an upgrade . I currently have a hd 7850.


You probably won't see that kind of a difference with a 7850 on most games.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2013 11:02:50 PM

lxxjordan23xxl said:
XSoloDolo said:
I mainly want to see a decent 5-10 frames in games before I consider an upgrade . I currently have a hd 7850.


You probably won't see that kind of a difference with a 7850 on most games.


+1

I mean the FX-8350, with the right GPU, can be much faster than a Phenom II X4 965 but the Radeon HD 7850 presents quite the bottleneck. Here is an idea of the performance difference between the two at stock settings Click Me!.
m
0
l
July 6, 2013 11:03:08 PM

Peter Cytryn said:
not much. You get a better physics score in 3dmark, but the increase is hardly justified by the upgrade Price. I have Phenom II x4 965 and i will not be upgrading at the moment. Óverclock your CPU and use your Money on better GPU - it will be better spent, and THAT will give you more FPS!
Here is a direct comparison between the two: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-...

So this brings me to another question do you think X-Firing a 7850 would be a wise decision? and my cpu is oc'd @ 4.0ghz
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2013 11:07:38 PM

what 7850? 1gig cards are useless.

what kind of problems are you having? I run a 6950 with none.

if you're after more frame rates because of somebody's preconceived idea that more is better........... but do you need more?
m
0
l
July 6, 2013 11:10:30 PM

swifty_morgan said:
what 7850? 1gig cards are useless.

what kind of problems are you having? I run a 6950 with none.

if you're after more frame rates because of somebody's preconceived idea that more is better........... but do you need more?

I have a 2gb core edition and i'm not having any issues i'm just wanting better performance in gaming. what i really want to do is crossfire the two 7850's with the current setup that I have but i'm not sure if the cpu I currently have would bottle neck the two cards. Edit : I don't necessarily need the frames but i'm going to college next year ( In my senior year of highschool) and im trying to future proof my rig as much as possible because I know when I get too college i'm not going to be able to upgrade my rig much at all.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2013 11:12:03 PM

XSoloDolo said:
Peter Cytryn said:
not much. You get a better physics score in 3dmark, but the increase is hardly justified by the upgrade Price. I have Phenom II x4 965 and i will not be upgrading at the moment. Óverclock your CPU and use your Money on better GPU - it will be better spent, and THAT will give you more FPS!
Here is a direct comparison between the two: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-...

So this brings me to another question do you think X-Firing a 7850 would be a wise decision? and my cpu is oc'd @ 4.0ghz


Some people don't like CrossfireX so you might hear those kinds of opinions (rarely based on having properly used such a system of course and usually an opinion based on something they read online from someone else). Personally I like CFx. It has never given me any real problems though there are some frametime issues (a lot of that fixed with the latest BETA drivers and set to be even further improved with the next driver release).

I'd say it is worth it. If you CPU bottlenecks the two GPUs it's not really that much of a problem seeing as it still allows you the chance to use higher AA and AF settings without incurring any performance losses.

My 2 cents.
m
0
l
July 6, 2013 11:24:46 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
XSoloDolo said:
Peter Cytryn said:
not much. You get a better physics score in 3dmark, but the increase is hardly justified by the upgrade Price. I have Phenom II x4 965 and i will not be upgrading at the moment. Óverclock your CPU and use your Money on better GPU - it will be better spent, and THAT will give you more FPS!
Here is a direct comparison between the two: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-vs-AMD-FX-...

So this brings me to another question do you think X-Firing a 7850 would be a wise decision? and my cpu is oc'd @ 4.0ghz




Some people don't like CrossfireX so you might hear those kinds of opinions (rarely based on having properly used such a system of course and usually an opinion based on something they read online from someone else). Personally I like CFx. It has never given me any real problems though there are some frametime issues (a lot of that fixed with the latest BETA drivers and set to be even further improved with the next driver release).

I'd say it is worth it. If you CPU bottlenecks the two GPUs it's not really that much of a problem seeing as it still allows you the chance to use higher AA and AF settings without incurring any performance losses.

My 2 cents.


I think I might just go the crossfire route. Now how much of a performance increase frame rate wise do you think I would get ?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2013 9:29:03 AM

what's the rest of the hardware?
m
0
l
July 7, 2013 12:18:39 PM

swifty_morgan said:
what's the rest of the hardware?


Processor: Phenom 2 X4 965 Be @ 4.0ghz

VideoCard: HD 7850 oc @ 1050

MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 am3+

PowerSupply: RoseWill Green RG630-S12 630 watt

Case: NZXT Gamma

WirelessCard: Asus N15

Cpu Cooler: Antec Kuhler h20 620
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2013 12:22:06 PM

don't waste your money on xfire.

m
0
l
!