Solved

Looking to buy 27" glossy 1080p monitor ~£200-£300 range

Now I'd normally choose a matt screen for work or outdoors usage, but I have black-out blinds in my pc room which allow for use of glossy screens with no reflection, and I feel the sharpness and colour are better given this situation.

After scouting around the internet for something suitable I found the Phillips Gioco 278G4DHSD/00 matched my criteria for a reasonable price and also included passive 3D (which I suppose is a bonus).

My only concern is that I've seen next to no discussion of the model around the internet, and only two reviews, this one giving it 82%

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/philips-278g4dhsd

and this one 3/5

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1296499/philips-gioco-278g4-3d-ambiglow

amazon.co.uk has no reviews either, and I've been left wondering why this model has been so low-key, especially compared to some of the more popular IPS monitors.

Does this monitor look like it might be a safe bet? Are there any other monitors to be recommended which fulfill the above criteria? I'll primarily be using it for gaming.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about buy glossy 1080p monitor 200 300 range
  1. I have the Asus VE278Q, and I love it. The refresh rate is relatively slow, but that is to be expected; no one will produce a 120 Hz/144 Hz 27" monitor for less than $400 or $500. The VE278Q is 1080p, and also has built-in speakers if you don't have any (although they aren't spectacular). It also has a very fast 2ms response time, which is great in gaming. However, it is non-IPS. But, if you're fine with color that is a bit less than perfect, then you should be great with this.
  2. I'd hugely recommend the ASUS MX279H. It's 1080p again, though it is IPS. Absolutely amazing monitor for the money.
  3. go dell. customer service and warranty are awesome. quality is top notch too. i've had the same screen for 5 years and it's still as good as ever.

    also i would advise against glossy. there might days when you want to let the sun in and do some relaxed web surfing.

    good luck whichever why you go
  4. sam_p_lay said:
    I'd hugely recommend the ASUS MX279H. It's 1080p again, though it is IPS. Absolutely amazing monitor for the money.


    The only thing I don't like is the design; it seems flimsy to me. Is this true, or no?
  5. dannyboy2233 said:
    sam_p_lay said:
    I'd hugely recommend the ASUS MX279H. It's 1080p again, though it is IPS. Absolutely amazing monitor for the money.


    The only thing I don't like is the design; it seems flimsy to me. Is this true, or no?


    Shows how tastes vary! I think it looks really good. But then I think my own monitor is pretty standard-looking and my friend thinks it's stunning. As for build-quality I've seen no reviews criticising it. Techradar say the build quality is good in their review:

    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/asus-mx279h-1131312/review
  6. sam_p_lay said:
    dannyboy2233 said:
    sam_p_lay said:
    I'd hugely recommend the ASUS MX279H. It's 1080p again, though it is IPS. Absolutely amazing monitor for the money.


    The only thing I don't like is the design; it seems flimsy to me. Is this true, or no?


    Shows how tastes vary! I think it looks really good. But then I think my own monitor is pretty standard-looking and my friend thinks it's stunning. As for build-quality I've seen no reviews criticising it. Techradar say the build quality is good in their review:

    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/asus-mx279h-1131312/review


    Excuse me; I didn't mean I dislike the design, I meant that I may dislike it on the grounds of flimsiness. However, seeing as there have been no major reports, I too would recommend that monitor. In the wrong setting it might look a bit weird, as it is very unique-looking, but in most setups it would look awesome and perform well.
  7. Yeah I feel inclined to stick to an all-black setup but I think I could make an exception for this!
  8. So I decided that as most monitors are going matt these days, I'd give it a try and buy the AOC i2757 display, which had been receiving excellent reviews on the internet.
    It arrived yesterday and I was at first pleased by the lack of dead pixels, but when I tried to make the image clearer through extensive calibration I realised that the Matt screen itself was preventing it reaching the levels I wanted (I now see why Apple cinema displays are remaining stubbornly glossy).
    Not only that, but when I launched Endless Space, the backlight bleed was absolutely terrible (probably compounded for me by the matt texture which already ruined clarity).
    I think I'm going to send it back to amazon tomorrow and hopefully get a refund so I can buy something else glossy/semi-glossy. I understand why the clarity loss of matt is an acceptable sacrifice for people who like being able to game/watch movies with natural light coming in, but it just isn't for me.
    Screenshot of the backlight bleed below if anyone is interested.

    http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5963/uzad.jpg
  9. Best answer
    Wow... I think that might be the worst bleed I've ever seen. You could actually find another monitor of the exact same model with little to no bleed - unfortunately not every panel comes off the production line the same. There's a big gap between what is deemed acceptable and what's actually near-flawless. Screen coatings are an important consideration (not all anti-glare coatings are created equal) and reviews are good to get an idea about that. Bad AG coatings can often cause a grainy look to whites.
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Monitors Graphics