Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel 4760k: Water vs air cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 7, 2013 10:05:13 PM

My system to get an idea of airflow and space
Case: Fractal design define r4
PSU: Generic 700w CPU
mobo: MSI z87 g45 gaming
CPU: i5 4560k
GPU: gtx 780

There are two hard drive cages, one that holds 5 and one that hold 3. Removing the cage that holds 5 for airflow. After removing the cage, space for 240mm radiator and front, and another at the top.

I would like to get a comfortable OC of 4.5ghz or more without spending too much money. All help is appreciated!

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 7, 2013 10:13:49 PM

For 4.5 GHz, you will be fine with the CM Hyper 212 EVO. For better cooling, you can get something like the Noctua NH-D14.
Share
July 7, 2013 10:15:44 PM

Any other high end air coolers similar to the dh-14, its very powerful but a bit on the big and ugly side haha
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 7, 2013 10:18:09 PM

SammyAl7 said:
Any other high end air coolers similar to the dh-14, its very powerful but a bit on the big and ugly side haha


There's the Phanteks PH-TC14PE which is a bit better; as it gets more higher end, they need better fans and more fans, meaning less focus on looks....
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2013 11:59:04 AM

Hyper 212 will start to be overwhelmed at 4.4. If you want to go higher try a

phanteks ph-tc12dx
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2013 4:13:05 PM

Intel God said:
Hyper 212 will start to be overwhelmed at 4.4. If you want to go higher try a

phanteks ph-tc12dx


That's a good one; kind of in between the Hyper 212 EVO and the Phanteks one that I said, if I'm not mistaken.
m
0
l
July 8, 2013 11:40:28 PM

Opinions on the NZXT Havik 140?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 7:47:54 AM

SammyAl7 said:
Opinions on the NZXT Havik 140?


It has 6 heatpipes and should cool rather well
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 11:25:49 AM

I think i'll save watercooling for my second build down the line. Any idea how to set up my fans? I have 2 120/140 mm slots in front, 2 120/140 mm slots on the top, 1 120/140 mm slot in the back, and 1 120/140 mm slot at the bottom of the case. It comes with 2 of these fans: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683.... Should I opt for different ones?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 1:20:44 PM

SammyAl7 said:
I think i'll save watercooling for my second build down the line. Any idea how to set up my fans? I have 2 120/140 mm slots in front, 2 120/140 mm slots on the top, 1 120/140 mm slot in the back, and 1 120/140 mm slot at the bottom of the case. It comes with 2 of these fans: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683.... Should I opt for different ones?


15 dollars for a fan? :lol: 

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 11, 2013 2:42:15 AM

Your case design will benefit from negative case pressure - more exhaust than intake.

Now... there's a reason for the price difference in the fans listed above

Fractal 140: rated 66cfm and 18.5db 2.6watts
Apevia 140 LED: 54cfm 20.5db 3.7watts

Reviews will show the apevia is lucky in actual testing to reach even 40cfm actually. They are garbage and power hogs but pretty

Fractal fan isn't cheap and yes you could get a little cheaper for similar performance. But comparing the 2... fractal hands down
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2013 10:19:03 AM

Buzz247 said:
Your case design will benefit from negative case pressure - more exhaust than intake.

Now... there's a reason for the price difference in the fans listed above

Fractal 140: rated 66cfm and 18.5db 2.6watts
Apevia 140 LED: 54cfm 20.5db 3.7watts

Reviews will show the apevia is lucky in actual testing to reach even 40cfm actually. They are garbage and power hogs but pretty

Fractal fan isn't cheap and yes you could get a little cheaper for similar performance. But comparing the 2... fractal hands down


Call me cheap then. :lol:  I'll never spend more then 8 bucks for a fan
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 11, 2013 10:37:12 AM

Lol ya im with ya. I recently got a 9pk of phobya gsilent 120s for 75. Better cfm than both, quiet as fractal, and .13a. I know 140s are similar. So a lil digging can go a long way
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2013 9:35:23 PM

Buzz247 said:
Lol ya im with ya. I recently got a 9pk of phobya gsilent 120s for 75. Better cfm than both, quiet as fractal, and .13a. I know 140s are similar. So a lil digging can go a long way


IMHO, the only time for expensive fans is for an intense WC setup, where you need high-SP fans. Otherwise, I'm with you most of the time; expensive case fans versus inexpensive case fans will make a difference of perhaps a couple degrees, but nothing that would determine your system.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 11, 2013 10:43:01 PM

true to a point - but hey if you can get much better performance for a buck or two more it's worth it! sometimes just takes research and looking around lol - im kinda picky about that - performance vs value. I certainly don't go balls out on fan price but I will find dang best deal I can lol just takes me time sometimes
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2013 4:08:59 PM

Buzz247 said:
true to a point - but hey if you can get much better performance for a buck or two more it's worth it! sometimes just takes research and looking around lol - im kinda picky about that - performance vs value. I certainly don't go balls out on fan price but I will find dang best deal I can lol just takes me time sometimes


Yes, of course. It's simply the rule of PCs; things that cost twice as much may only perform 20% better, and the decision is simply whether or not you need that extra wee little bit of performance.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 8:15:08 PM

dannyboy2233 said:
Jake Anderson said:
best option to drop haswell temps

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-cl...

at your own risk of course.

4.5ghz 1.24v max temp 64c hyper 212 evo cooling



Yup... I've been thinking about doing the same, but I can't bring myself to risk it :p 


Vise method cares little danger as long as you dont try to grand slam the chip and put something soft behind it incase you do.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2013 9:35:11 AM

Vice method is for noobs. ;) 
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 11:37:39 AM

Intel God said:
Vice method is for noobs. ;) 



Since people who have a vice are usually addicted to some bad habbit. I doubt they are noobs. Now using a vise for deliding maybe for noobs but sure is a lot safer especially if you have a IHS thats tight to the pcb. And even if you dont its still a lot quicker. :na: 
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 13, 2013 11:51:29 AM

Thread officially hijacked lol. Try to steer back on topic for OP. Though wouldn't mind seeing a solid delidding discussion thread started
m
0
l
!