Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to underclock and reduce voltage ?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 8, 2013 1:42:41 PM

I would like to reduce the temps of my processors, they are too hot (65-75 C) and (56-61 C) It is a hp workstation xw 6600, The model of the processors are Xeon E5430, at 2,66 ghz with 12 mb L1 cache each of them. (24 mb cache total)

My pc is very fast, the problem is that it gets too hot when playing games.. and the fans become too noisy, and sometimes... rarely... the pc will shut down because it reaches too high temps (90-100 C)

I am newbie on this things... can anybody help me? :/ 


If i underclock my cpus and play bf3, will it reduce the temps ? or the cpus will work more and therefore the temps will go higher?

I mean... if reduce the clock frequency and the voltage, does it reduce the temps overall?


a c 241 K Overclocking
July 8, 2013 7:16:50 PM

reduce the clock frequency and the voltage = Reduce Temp and Performance
Reduce Voltage and raise Clock freq = raise performance

Get good after market cooler will be better .. just@ Suggestion
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 1:16:23 AM

As said - something has gone wrong with your cooling if your temps are that high. Solve the problem, not the symptoms!

Make sure all fans are running, are set up for good airflow, and that airflow is unimpeded - reseat/replace the cooler, clean out all dust.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 6:12:43 PM

Honestly, especially with BF3 being gpu intensive not cpu, I'd be looking at your vid card as a major part of the problem with heat. What do you have?

That said, all the above still applies. Sounds like u have bad airflow in general. Incidentally, most workstation types are bios locked anyway and you can't underclock. Again - treat the problem, not the symptoms
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 8:19:34 PM

kyriusalarcon said:
I would like to reduce the temps of my processors, they are too hot (65-75 C) and (56-61 C) It is a hp workstation xw 6600, The model of the processors are Xeon E5430, at 2,66 ghz with 12 mb L1 cache each of them. (24 mb cache total)

My pc is very fast, the problem is that it gets too hot when playing games.. and the fans become too noisy, and sometimes... rarely... the pc will shut down because it reaches too high temps (90-100 C)

I am newbie on this things... can anybody help me? :/ 


If i underclock my cpus and play bf3, will it reduce the temps ? or the cpus will work more and therefore the temps will go higher?

I mean... if reduce the clock frequency and the voltage, does it reduce the temps overall?



Yes! Your CPUs are pretty powerful..You wouldn't lose very much by undervolting a little.
You could..Undervolt and overclock, even. :D 
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 6:59:40 AM

Buzz247 said:
Honestly, especially with BF3 being gpu intensive not cpu, I'd be looking at your vid card as a major part of the problem with heat. What do you have?

That said, all the above still applies. Sounds like u have bad airflow in general. Incidentally, most workstation types are bios locked anyway and you can't underclock. Again - treat the problem, not the symptoms


My video card has no problems with the heat.. it keeps at 70 C when playing bf3.

I dont know what the problem can be.... i cleaned the fans... dismounted them and cleaned out all the dust... i didnt dismount the heatsinks...maybe the problem is the thermal paste ?



OH... the frequency of my cpu went down byt itself??? it goes down and up byt itself??? how is that possible? :/  right now it is att 2 ghz +-, it says "333,34 x6.0" the multiplier goes down and up.. from 6,0 to 7,5

The cpu #1, which is colder, is almost constantly working at 2 ghz... while the other cpu #0, which is hotter, is almost constantly working at 2,4 ghz... :/  how can i underlock the cpu #0 at the same level as the cpu #1 ??? i think that would solve my problem

OH new update!! now i know why the cpu #0 gets so hot!! its frequency gets higher when i play games... while the cpu #1 keeps always at 2 ghz.. and keeps its temp at 58 C ...
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2013 2:10:52 PM

That cpu is getting too hot;Try a remount,maybe some decent TIM.Check to make sure all the pushpins are snapped in good :) 
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 7:57:50 AM

schmuckley said:
That cpu is getting too hot;Try a remount,maybe some decent TIM.Check to make sure all the pushpins are snapped in good :) 


will i need to apply new thermal paste?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2013 4:19:22 AM

kyriusalarcon said:
schmuckley said:
That cpu is getting too hot;Try a remount,maybe some decent TIM.Check to make sure all the pushpins are snapped in good :) 


will i need to apply new thermal paste?

Yes..Ceramique 2 is good ..and cheap
mx-4
AS5
that's all i can think of for now.
Share
a c 241 K Overclocking
July 12, 2013 7:39:14 AM

stock thermal paste from cooler you bought is good too :D 
m
0
l
!