Solved

AMD Graphics Card Crash Log(Where to Find) Computer Crashing to black screen.

Hey guys, first time poster, sry if I posted in the wrong area or if im doing something wrong, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Ok, so lately my computer has been being weird, when im playing a graphic intensive game my computer will freeze and the audio will loop. Then I hear just a sound like feedback, then the screens go black. My graphics card is an AMD 7970 Gigabyte edition. I've ran FurMark for hours and it runs fine. My processor is a i7 3770k stock. I've also tried testing my RAM, 16gb, nothing to report there.

The things I'm not sure about are my power supply which is a 750 and possibly my processor or graphics card. I'm wanting to know if AMD has some sort of crash log so I can see if anything went wrong. Ive checked event viewer and all that shows up is a Kernal-Power Critical Error refering to when I hold the power button down till the PC shuts down.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys, go easy on me.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd graphics card crash log find computer crashing black screen
  1. Best answer
    sounds like a heat issue

    what are your temps?
    make sure the GPU fans are working

    i bought a gigabyte GTX 560ti when they came out and i had to send mine back 3 times ...well 2, i gave up and didnt send it back the 3rd time.

    Have you tried swapping out the GPU?

    i know its frustrating, good luck.
  2. seller417 said:
    sounds like a heat issue

    what are your temps?
    make sure the GPU fans are working

    i bought a gigabyte GTX 560ti when they came out and i had to send mine back 3 times ...well 2, i gave up and didnt send it back the 3rd time.

    Have you tried swapping out the GPU?

    i know its frustrating, good luck.


    I monitored the GPU temp while play Counter Strike, the temp was at 52 C, so the temp was fine, but it still crashed, weird thing is usually when it crashes everything stops working but the computer still seems to be on. This time the screens go black and i could still talk to my friends on skype. First time thats happened. Going to check event viewer and see if there is anything different.
  3. this is very similar to what i was dealing with...i went and got a cheap gpu and switched it out and the problem stopped. i would try that 1st.
  4. seller417 said:
    this is very similar to what i was dealing with...i went and got a cheap gpu and switched it out and the problem stopped. i would try that 1st.

    So i cut the power to the 7970 and used the onboard gpu, its not crashing!(so far anyways) Ive been playing like 6 hours and still golden. You guys think i should send the gpu in and get it replaced?
  5. yes, without a doubt.

    Good luck!
  6. also what brand and wattage is your PSU?
  7. seller417 said:
    also what brand and wattage is your PSU?


    So my PSU is a Corsair TX Series 750 watt. Also another thing I tried was trying a driver from Gigabytes website instead of going through the AMD website. So far no crash since driver install, only time will tell.

    Regarding the PSU, I have a i7 3770k and 16gb of RAM. With 1 SSD and a Mechanical Drive. Along with a H80i water cooler. Do you think I may not have enough wattage for the hardware in the pc?
  8. You have enough power
  9. smeezekitty said:
    You have enough power


    That answer works for me. So far after almost two days, there has been no crash since gigabyte driver, hopefully it will keep up so i dont have to RMA.
  10. Hey dtwins,

    Same problem for me. And my computer is brand new. Can you tell me if your fix worked, and how you did it again. I am not stupid, but I am not particularly smart about the PSU. Thanks, Jerry

    dtwins said:
    smeezekitty said:
    You have enough power


    That answer works for me. So far after almost two days, there has been no crash since gigabyte driver, hopefully it will keep up so i dont have to RMA.
Ask a new question

Read More

Crash Computers Graphics Cards AMD Graphics