Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help (Gaming graphics and performance)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 8, 2013 9:56:56 PM

Why cant I play games on a higher setting, I normally have to play on low settings to get a good FPS (games like skyrim, farcry 3, guild wars 2, etc.), i just dont understand.

My Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHZ (8 cores i believe)

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: nvida geforce GT 635M + 2GB

Windows 8 edition, 64-bit OS
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2013 10:07:53 PM

Casmin1129 said:
Why cant I play games on a higher setting, I normally have to play on low settings to get a good FPS (games like skyrim, farcry 3, guild wars 2, etc.), i just dont understand.

My Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHZ (8 cores i believe)

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: nvida geforce GT 635M + 2GB

Windows 8 edition, 64-bit OS


It's laptop dude, you can't expect too much. Those mobile GPUs aren't very good for gaming at high settings and are holding it back. The processor is good but won't help you in gaming.
m
0
l
July 8, 2013 10:13:21 PM

Budge414 said:
Casmin1129 said:
Why cant I play games on a higher setting, I normally have to play on low settings to get a good FPS (games like skyrim, farcry 3, guild wars 2, etc.), i just dont understand.

My Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHZ (8 cores i believe)

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: nvida geforce GT 635M + 2GB

Windows 8 edition, 64-bit OS


It's laptop dude, you can't expect too much. Those mobile GPUs aren't very good for gaming at high settings and are holding it back. The processor is good but won't help you in gaming.



Its considered an Asus gaming laptop though. Just with those specs I dont understand why... I know the fact that its a laptop and wont perform as well as a desktop will, but still :( 
m
0
l
Related resources
July 8, 2013 10:17:53 PM

Budge414 said:
Casmin1129 said:
Why cant I play games on a higher setting, I normally have to play on low settings to get a good FPS (games like skyrim, farcry 3, guild wars 2, etc.), i just dont understand.

My Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHZ (8 cores i believe)

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: nvida geforce GT 635M + 2GB

Windows 8 edition, 64-bit OS


It's laptop dude, you can't expect too much. Those mobile GPUs aren't very good for gaming at high settings and are holding it back. The processor is good but won't help you in gaming.


What I'm really trying to ask is, is there a way to optimize it for gaming. Is there something im not doing? (other than changing the power settings and all that.)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2013 10:18:22 PM

Casmin1129 said:

Its considered an Asus gaming laptop though. Just with those specs I dont understand why... I know the fact that its a laptop and wont perform as well as a desktop will, but still :( 


Retailers are dogs like that, the reality is they have no idea what laptops are and aren't capable of. They may label it as a 'gaming' laptop because it has DirectX 11 capability and can play the newest games, but at the cost of significantly reduced settings. I feel for you man. Best thing to do next time is some research and make sure of what you're buying. Don't listen to the salespeople.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2013 10:21:40 PM

Casmin1129 said:

What I'm really trying to ask is, is there a way to optimize it for gaming. Is there something im not doing? (other than changing the power settings and all that.)


I guess make sure that the GPU is enabled in the BIOS. Probably an easier way to do it is just right click on the Desktop, go to Screen Resolution and then Advanced Settings (Underneath Orientation, to the right). It should show you the GT 635M, if it says Intel HD Graphics 4000 or something then the discrete GPU isn't enabled, and you may have to do it manually.
Share
July 8, 2013 10:27:31 PM

Budge414 said:
Casmin1129 said:

What I'm really trying to ask is, is there a way to optimize it for gaming. Is there something im not doing? (other than changing the power settings and all that.)


I guess make sure that the GPU is enabled in the BIOS. Probably an easier way to do it is just right click on the Desktop, go to Screen Resolution and then Advanced Settings (Underneath Orientation, to the right). It should show you the GT 635M, if it says Intel HD Graphics 4000 or something then the discrete GPU isn't enabled, and you may have to do it manually.


I do appreciate your advice, thank you... Youre right though, next time I will for sure. Ill try that as well, thanks again
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2013 10:29:41 PM

Casmin1129 said:

I do appreciate your advice, thank you... Youre right though, next time I will for sure. Ill try that as well, thanks again


No worries, I'm sorry I can't do more. Let me know how you go finding if the GPU is enabled, I'll see what I can do if it isn't.
m
0
l
July 8, 2013 10:32:00 PM

Budge414 said:
Casmin1129 said:

What I'm really trying to ask is, is there a way to optimize it for gaming. Is there something im not doing? (other than changing the power settings and all that.)


I guess make sure that the GPU is enabled in the BIOS. Probably an easier way to do it is just right click on the Desktop, go to Screen Resolution and then Advanced Settings (Underneath Orientation, to the right). It should show you the GT 635M, if it says Intel HD Graphics 4000 or something then the discrete GPU isn't enabled, and you may have to do it manually.


Youre right it is the Intel HD graphics... would you know how to manually do it? Or did you mean in the fashion of opening the laptop up?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2013 11:11:18 PM

Casmin1129 said:

Youre right it is the Intel HD graphics... would you know how to manually do it? Or did you mean in the fashion of opening the laptop up?


You won't need to open it up. Sometimes Laptops will attempt to save power by using the Intel graphics when you need them and only use the GPU when playing games, it's hard to know if it is automatically switching or not. Firstly, open up a game and check if there is an option to change in one of the games graphics settings.
Not sure if this one will work but you could try Alt-Tab to go to the desktop while the game is running and then check to see if the GPU changed in Screen Resolution>Advanced.
If neither of those show anything you could try simply downloading the latest drivers: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462 It's possible they aren't already installed at all. After they are installed make sure on the nVidia software in the 3D Settings panel that the GPU is enabled for games.

I've also seen people able to right click the program and find a 'Run with -(GPU)-', or find a 'Graphics Switching' option. I'm sorry that I'm not super familiar with Laptop GPUs :/  Now that you know what to look for though, try searching laptop graphics switching or something like that. In the end it might just be that the GPU is poor, I don't know 100%.
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 10:01:27 AM

Budge414 said:
Casmin1129 said:

Youre right it is the Intel HD graphics... would you know how to manually do it? Or did you mean in the fashion of opening the laptop up?


You won't need to open it up. Sometimes Laptops will attempt to save power by using the Intel graphics when you need them and only use the GPU when playing games, it's hard to know if it is automatically switching or not. Firstly, open up a game and check if there is an option to change in one of the games graphics settings.
Not sure if this one will work but you could try Alt-Tab to go to the desktop while the game is running and then check to see if the GPU changed in Screen Resolution>Advanced.
If neither of those show anything you could try simply downloading the latest drivers: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462 It's possible they aren't already installed at all. After they are installed make sure on the nVidia software in the 3D Settings panel that the GPU is enabled for games.

I've also seen people able to right click the program and find a 'Run with -(GPU)-', or find a 'Graphics Switching' option. I'm sorry that I'm not super familiar with Laptop GPUs :/  Now that you know what to look for though, try searching laptop graphics switching or something like that. In the end it might just be that the GPU is poor, I don't know 100%.


I tried all that you said and it doesnt look like its fixed. I tried switching the defalt driver to nvidia but the games keep using the intel HD. I even tried uninstalling both drivers and reinstalling them as well as updating them and no luck. At this point Ill just give Asus a call. I do appreciate all your help though, thank you.
m
0
l
!