GT 640 setup won't boot

Brian MacPherson

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
So my Radeon HD 4870 is dying a slow and painful death and I decided to get a new motherboard and such too. Reinstalled Windows using the old video card (as I hadn't got my GT 640 yet). Finally got the card today, a week later. I used Driver Sweeper to clear my old drivers, shut down the computer, installed the new card, and flipped the switch... My board lights up and my fans go, but I get no reaction from the monitors.

It's a Windows 7 system with a Gigabyte 78LMT board, 2x4gb of ram, a AMD Phenom x6 1090T, one HDD and one DVD-RW, all on a 600W supply. ASUS power calculator says I should be good with a 450, but I would think a 600 should have enough overhead.

Everything works fine, save for when I swap the video card. Am I doing something severely wrong, or is it a power issue?

Solution

jk_ventolero

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
First of all, why did you get a GT 640? I think it's slower than an HD 4870 (lol, sorry, off-topic I just had to ask)

Anyway, I have this problem everytime I switch cards. Sometimes I just pull it out and then put it back in. Bam! It works now! :lol: But on a more serious note, have you checked if the fans on your GT 640 are working? Or have you tried to hook up your monitor to your on-board output? If yes, does it work that way? In your bios settings, have you set the primary graphics adapter to PCIe? :)

Brian MacPherson

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Interestingly, I checked the benchmarking on the cards and it seems like you're actually right, that the 640 is slower than the 4870. Which is funny because I was looking at a 7750 and the guy said this one was comparable (I was looking for dual-dvi, as this is an older system with older monitors). It actually seems to be a small step down, now that I look at the benchmarking. I had just assumed that it'd be better with respect to the fact that it's a newer card, but I know little about modern cards. May have to go back tomorrow and exchange it for something else.

Anyway... yes, the fans on the 640 are working. And no, the onboard video doesn't seem to be working either.

And having unplugged/replugged the card several times, it hasn't worked once.

jk_ventolero

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

Hehe, yeah. And the guy who told you that the HD 7750 and GT 640 was comparable is quite out of his head. :lol: I use this list here on TH to determine relative card performance differences. Maybe you should use this next time you make a purchase. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Well, back to the topic at hand, I still don't really see what the problem here could be. If you put back the HD 4870 in does your PC work again?

Solution