Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Mouse lag and graphical glitches whilst gaming on Intel HD 4600

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 9, 2013 2:30:14 AM

Hi there guys, I'm hoping this is in the right area, apologies if its not!

Basically I've just finished putting together a small build for my partner and we're having a couple of issues. There seems to be a fair bit of mouse lag on the couple of games we've tested the system on and I'm not sure whether its an issue with the integrated graphics, the games or something else due to it only really appearing on the menus. Everything else seems to run smoothly - she did complain that chrome was slow at one point but after replicating what she was doing and with as many tabs running as I could, there didn't seem to be any issue.

Here's the specs:

i5 4570 @ 3.2Ghz (with HD 4600 integrated gfx)
Asus B85M-G Mobo
8GB RAM
Antec Earthwatts 380W
Win 7 64bit

On The Sims 2, LA Noire and occasionally Audiosurf we're getting some pretty noticeable mouse lag in the menus but rarely in-game. LA Noire is actually pretty stable with medium gfx and 1368 resolution (which surprised me), but the mouse lag in the main menu is very noticeable.
Sims 2 has some issues with textures popping up combined with weird jaggy splashes of colour/graphical glitch when the camera is moved (apologies for the description, have no idea how to describe it). Mouse lag is pretty universal, though more noticeable once you're in a house. Its not unplayable but certainly annoying.
Audiosurf runs fine most of the time though it has some lag on the menus every now and then.
Finally, Starcraft 2 had some issues, but after lowering the settings it seems to have resolved itself, might need to run it for longer to double check however.

Everything points to the HD 4600 not being up to stuff but LA Noire remains the anomaly considering how well it runs in game. Why is it running that ok but not The Sims? Its an old game but my own build is running a 560Ti and has no lag or graphical glitches so is it driver/support related? Both mouse and graphic drivers are up to date and I've plugged my own mouse in on the off-chance that its mouse related but the issue remains. CPU reaches 50 degrees max when running these games, and the load itself usually stays around 20-40% and 1-5% when idle so it can't be a bottlenecked processor. I'm totally out of ideas here guys, any help?
July 9, 2013 2:44:08 AM

wired_noodle said:
Hi there guys, I'm hoping this is in the right area, apologies if its not!

Basically I've just finished putting together a small build for my partner and we're having a couple of issues. There seems to be a fair bit of mouse lag on the couple of games we've tested the system on and I'm not sure whether its an issue with the integrated graphics, the games or something else due to it only really appearing on the menus. Everything else seems to run smoothly - she did complain that chrome was slow at one point but after replicating what she was doing and with as many tabs running as I could, there didn't seem to be any issue.

Here's the specs:

i5 4570 @ 3.2Ghz (with HD 4600 integrated gfx)
Asus B85M-G Mobo
8GB RAM
Antec Earthwatts 380W
Win 7 64bit

On The Sims 2, LA Noire and occasionally Audiosurf we're getting some pretty noticeable mouse lag in the menus but rarely in-game. LA Noire is actually pretty stable with medium gfx and 1368 resolution (which surprised me), but the mouse lag in the main menu is very noticeable.
Sims 2 has some issues with textures popping up combined with weird jaggy splashes of colour/graphical glitch when the camera is moved (apologies for the description, have no idea how to describe it). Mouse lag is pretty universal, though more noticeable once you're in a house. Its not unplayable but certainly annoying.
Audiosurf runs fine most of the time though it has some lag on the menus every now and then.
Finally, Starcraft 2 had some issues, but after lowering the settings it seems to have resolved itself, might need to run it for longer to double check however.

Everything points to the HD 4600 not being up to stuff but LA Noire remains the anomaly considering how well it runs in game. Why is it running that ok but not The Sims? Its an old game but my own build is running a 560Ti and has no lag or graphical glitches so is it driver/support related? Both mouse and graphic drivers are up to date and I've plugged my own mouse in on the off-chance that its mouse related but the issue remains. CPU reaches 50 degrees max when running these games, and the load itself usually stays around 20-40% and 1-5% when idle so it can't be a bottlenecked processor. I'm totally out of ideas here guys, any help?


Yeah, most definitely it's the HD4600. Intel's GFX are good for standard stuff, but even for light gaming they are rubbish. Okay, ther are certain games that will be playable in some way. But the thing is, if you look at any of the games recommended requirements, I'd imagine the HD4600 isn't even there as being supported. Why don't you pop your 560ti in that rig, and you will see the difference. Prob get a semi decent discrete card, 7790 from AMS or a 650ti Boost, and it will kill the HD4600, eliminating the lag problem your currently experiencing.


edit: oops, just saw your PSU. You may need to upgrade that to add in a GFX, but a 7750 instead of a 7790 would negate a PSU upgrade. And still give you medium settings playability with your current set up.
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 3:04:25 AM

Make sure your mb bios and the chipset and ipgpu drivers been updated from intel. In the bios try upping the ram the ipgpu uses and see if that helps.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 9, 2013 4:36:51 AM

keith12 said:
Yeah, most definitely it's the HD4600. Intel's GFX are good for standard stuff, but even for light gaming they are rubbish. Okay, ther are certain games that will be playable in some way. But the thing is, if you look at any of the games recommended requirements, I'd imagine the HD4600 isn't even there as being supported. Why don't you pop your 560ti in that rig, and you will see the difference. Prob get a semi decent discrete card, 7790 from AMS or a 650ti Boost, and it will kill the HD4600, eliminating the lag problem your currently experiencing.


edit: oops, just saw your PSU. You may need to upgrade that to add in a GFX, but a 7750 instead of a 7790 would negate a PSU upgrade. And still give you medium settings playability with your current set up.


Ah thanks for the info Keith :)  I did think the graphics were to blame, and like you said, I was going to pop in the 560 to make sure if it wasn't for the PSU.
It's a shame, cause I asked if she wanted it to play games when I started to build it and she said no, yet the first thing she does when it's all booted up and ready to go is install EVERY GAME, try them out and then get upset that her fancy new computer can't play them flawlessly :p 

Just had another chat with her and made it clear that if she wants to play ANYTHING she should say it now. The list is LA Noire, Civ V, SC2 and maybe Sims 4 when it comes out at medium+ settings. Can you or anyone else recommend a graphics card for that? Would the 7750 still be able to do that or is it better to go with the 7790? I'd like to keep the current PSU if possible but I dont mind shelling out for a bigger one and selling the 380W if it makes things easier in the long run.

Smorizio, I'm gonna try and upgrade the MB Bios and up the RAM usage now just in case, thanks for the tip :) 

EDIT: Oh, just remembered, her "main" reason for this build was to run adobe suite (mainly photoshop) without it melting her legs (she was on a dusty old laptop till now). We were going to wait to get a graphics card but seeing as she's rather upset about the gaming situation, it seems better to take the hit now so everything is set up and she's happy. If there's any cards out there that'll run adobe a little better for £10-20 extra we'll take it. Budget would probably be max £100 but preferable £60-£80.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 9, 2013 5:57:34 AM

wired_noodle said:
keith12 said:
Yeah, most definitely it's the HD4600. Intel's GFX are good for standard stuff, but even for light gaming they are rubbish. Okay, ther are certain games that will be playable in some way. But the thing is, if you look at any of the games recommended requirements, I'd imagine the HD4600 isn't even there as being supported. Why don't you pop your 560ti in that rig, and you will see the difference. Prob get a semi decent discrete card, 7790 from AMS or a 650ti Boost, and it will kill the HD4600, eliminating the lag problem your currently experiencing.


edit: oops, just saw your PSU. You may need to upgrade that to add in a GFX, but a 7750 instead of a 7790 would negate a PSU upgrade. And still give you medium settings playability with your current set up.


Ah thanks for the info Keith :)  I did think the graphics were to blame, and like you said, I was going to pop in the 560 to make sure if it wasn't for the PSU.
It's a shame, cause I asked if she wanted it to play games when I started to build it and she said no, yet the first thing she does when it's all booted up and ready to go is install EVERY GAME, try them out and then get upset that her fancy new computer can't play them flawlessly :p 

Just had another chat with her and made it clear that if she wants to play ANYTHING she should say it now. The list is LA Noire, Civ V, SC2 and maybe Sims 4 when it comes out at medium+ settings. Can you or anyone else recommend a graphics card for that? Would the 7750 still be able to do that or is it better to go with the 7790? I'd like to keep the current PSU if possible but I dont mind shelling out for a bigger one and selling the 380W if it makes things easier in the long run.

Smorizio, I'm gonna try and upgrade the MB Bios and up the RAM usage now just in case, thanks for the tip :) 

EDIT: Oh, just remembered, her "main" reason for this build was to run adobe suite (mainly photoshop) without it melting her legs (she was on a dusty old laptop till now). We were going to wait to get a graphics card but seeing as she's rather upset about the gaming situation, it seems better to take the hit now so everything is set up and she's happy. If there's any cards out there that'll run adobe a little better for £10-20 extra we'll take it. Budget would probably be max £100 but preferable £60-£80.


Okay on that basis, I wold strongly suggest the 7750 1gb. it's a decent card for medium settings at medium res ( but that's on demanding games, on those you've listed it would do just fine)
The bonus of the 7750 is it works off the power supplied by the PCI slot alone, meaning no power supply upgrade required.
The 7790 is a more powerful card, but you could need that extra PSU power make it run.

The 7750 would be my recommendation and fits in budget too! :) 
Share
July 12, 2013 5:15:11 PM

keith12 said:
wired_noodle said:
keith12 said:
Yeah, most definitely it's the HD4600. Intel's GFX are good for standard stuff, but even for light gaming they are rubbish. Okay, ther are certain games that will be playable in some way. But the thing is, if you look at any of the games recommended requirements, I'd imagine the HD4600 isn't even there as being supported. Why don't you pop your 560ti in that rig, and you will see the difference. Prob get a semi decent discrete card, 7790 from AMS or a 650ti Boost, and it will kill the HD4600, eliminating the lag problem your currently experiencing.


edit: oops, just saw your PSU. You may need to upgrade that to add in a GFX, but a 7750 instead of a 7790 would negate a PSU upgrade. And still give you medium settings playability with your current set up.


Ah thanks for the info Keith :)  I did think the graphics were to blame, and like you said, I was going to pop in the 560 to make sure if it wasn't for the PSU.
It's a shame, cause I asked if she wanted it to play games when I started to build it and she said no, yet the first thing she does when it's all booted up and ready to go is install EVERY GAME, try them out and then get upset that her fancy new computer can't play them flawlessly :p 

Just had another chat with her and made it clear that if she wants to play ANYTHING she should say it now. The list is LA Noire, Civ V, SC2 and maybe Sims 4 when it comes out at medium+ settings. Can you or anyone else recommend a graphics card for that? Would the 7750 still be able to do that or is it better to go with the 7790? I'd like to keep the current PSU if possible but I dont mind shelling out for a bigger one and selling the 380W if it makes things easier in the long run.

Smorizio, I'm gonna try and upgrade the MB Bios and up the RAM usage now just in case, thanks for the tip :) 

EDIT: Oh, just remembered, her "main" reason for this build was to run adobe suite (mainly photoshop) without it melting her legs (she was on a dusty old laptop till now). We were going to wait to get a graphics card but seeing as she's rather upset about the gaming situation, it seems better to take the hit now so everything is set up and she's happy. If there's any cards out there that'll run adobe a little better for £10-20 extra we'll take it. Budget would probably be max £100 but preferable £60-£80.


Okay on that basis, I wold strongly suggest the 7750 1gb. it's a decent card for medium settings at medium res ( but that's on demanding games, on those you've listed it would do just fine)
The bonus of the 7750 is it works off the power supplied by the PCI slot alone, meaning no power supply upgrade required.
The 7790 is a more powerful card, but you could need that extra PSU power make it run.

The 7750 would be my recommendation and fits in budget too! :) 


Hi Keith, sorry for the massive delay, long hours at work and shoddy internet when i get back are to blame! Anyways, i really wanted to thank you for your help so...err.....thank you :D  Seriously you've been a huge help and I'm eagerly awaiting for the 7750 to arrive now so we can take advantage of those steam sales. Cheers!
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 10:06:20 AM



Hi Keith, sorry for the massive delay, long hours at work and shoddy internet when i get back are to blame! Anyways, i really wanted to thank you for your help so...err.....thank you :D  Seriously you've been a huge help and I'm eagerly awaiting for the 7750 to arrive now so we can take advantage of those steam sales. Cheers![/quotemsg]

No probs, most welcome :) 
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 11:19:29 AM

I had problems with The Sims 2 on intel G41 graphics. I would get missing or wrong textures (like Sims with missing faces and textured with trees).

It was resolved when I installed a Radeon 6670.

I think you could go up to a 7770 with that PSU pretty easily.
m
0
l
!