$1000 PC Build need help finishing parts list and ideas on power supply/cooling

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I've built about half a dozen systems before but the last one I did was 6 years ago (still running strong too).

I'm currently using a Dell AMD-based Vostro that is not designed for what I use it for. It's a business productivity laptop but I use it for hardcore software development. It gets hot, bogs down under normal conditions (loading a web page will sometimes make the mouse stutter) and can only handle games at low resolutions.

The budget I've set is the max I would like to spend. If I can meet my requirements for less then that would be great. I would love to upgrade my storage to a SAN and would put any savings towards that.

I don't need any accessories. I have a good mouse, keyboard, mic, headset etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: This month (July 2013)

Budget Range: $1000 After shipping

System Usage:
1. Software development running several different servers including web server, database server and geospatial server concurrently. Not a production environment by any means but need these to test.
2. Gaming

Am I Buying A Monitor: No, I have two already.

Parts to Upgrade: None, this is a new build.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I really like Newegg.com because of their return policy and support but would gladly use other sites if there was a big price difference.

Location: USA, Northeastern Vermont (i.e. the middle of nowhere)

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU is the only thing I must have. I prefer Nvidia GPU but that's mostly from past experience. I have no clue who's ahead in the GPU space right now.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: In the future as a graphics upgrade.

My Monitor Resolution: I have dual 1900x1200 monitors. When I game, I only use one.

Additional Comments: Prefer a case that isn't ten feet tall. Absolutely needs to have awesome cooling.

Why I Am Upgrading: My current laptop I use for work just doesn't cut it. It bogs down when I'm programming and gets too hot running all the servers I need on it. There's no way it can handle games at my monitor's resolution. I have to play in a little windowed box at half screen resolution to get anything above 25 FPS.

The parts list is by no means completely thought out. It's been years since I've built a PC. Like I mentioned above, the only thing that's set in stone is an Intel CPU.

Missing from the parts list is the power supply and CPU cooler. I really have no idea how much wattage I need. I actually have an Antec earthwatts 400w supply that I bought a while ago and never used.

Parts List:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $862.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-09 10:35 EDT-0400)P

Solution

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Right, I've got about $140 to play with for the Power supply and cooling. I don't know if I can get a liquid cooling system and PS for that. Some calculators I've used say that the average wattage use would be about 340 for these components. If that's true and I can get by with a 500w PS then maybe I could.

I've actually got my eye on this: COOLER MASTER Seidon 240M

I would suggest the XFX Core Edition 550w (http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1213) for your PSU. Cheap, reliable, SeaSonic-made. For cooling, in your shoes, I would actually upgrade the case to an NZXT Phantom 410 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146085&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=) and use a Noctua NH-D14 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=) rather than use a worse-cooled case and a liquid cooler. The NH-D14 is surprisingly quiet and cools extremely effectively, and the 410 has very good cooling specs and better than average noise specs (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/solo-ii-400r-buc-ravager-seiran,3274-10.html).

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm not set on liquid cooling. The Noctua looks like a great unit but it seems expensive for a heatsink. Would a less expensive Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO work just as well if I don't plan on overclocking?

And one last thing I forgot to add. What is recommended for thermal compound?

here's the final build which is just over my 1000 limit if you don't count the mail-in-rebates (which I never do since they seem so hit or miss)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $969.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-09 12:05 EDT-0400)

Wait, you don't plan on overclocking? Wow, no, you don't need to spend nearly as much. The stock cooler in a decently-cooled case will be more than enough, and you can save a bundle by dropping down to a 4670(non-k) and ASRock H87 Performance (presently on sale at Newegg in combo with the 4670 to be equal in price to the H87 Pro4), drop your CPU cooler, and put some of that money into your GPU.

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Thanks Jack. I think I'll keep the K processor and z87 motherboard. I don't plan on overclocking right away but plan on keeping this system for quite a while and want the option to keep it up to date.

I must admit, in your shoes, I would tend to favor GPU upgrade, if you're going for future-proofing. That said, overclocking can definitely extend the usable life of your CPU, so I can understand your reasoning.

Have you considered taking the SSD down a notch, to around 120GB? That might free up enough funds to afford a 770. If so, I would recommend the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB.

Edit: Also, if you don't plan to overclock until down the road, you could hold off on purchasing your CPU cooler until then, which would free up additional funds.

i wouldnt stick with the stock heatsink even if its running stock. get the hyper 212 and youll be better off

as far as the psu i agree with what jack said get the xfx since seasonic has one of the best psus on the market or get like a 700w+ psu so incase you decide to sli in the future youll be ready.

one other thing is do you plan or getting a spare hdd for like games etc? you are going to run out of space fairly quick

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

All my media and storage is handled by an external RAID array. Yes I'll need a bigger HDD eventually for programs and games and will add that eventually. I wanted the biggest bang for the buck that I have. I can always get more bang later for the buck that I'll get.

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I did look at smaller SSDs but at 120GB I would likely have to include a disk HDD right away and that eliminates any savings on the smaller SSD.

As for the GPU. The cheapest 770 is $150 more than the 760. I'd love to have one but I've got to stick close to my $1000 budget. Also, I hate spending more than 2-300 on a video card since they are one of the easiest components to upgrade and prices drop so quickly. To me, the 770 isn't worth a $150 more than the 760.

Thanks for all your help. The recommendation on a cooler case was something I hadn't considered. I've always just bought the cheapest case I could stand to look at that had room for my components.

Fair enough. That being the case, I would recommend a faster SSD, such as the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, if budget allows.

You could fit a 770 in, but if you prefer cheaper GPUs and a more rapid upgrade cycle, that's perfectly fine. The 760 will give 60 fps at max settings with most games, so it's certainly not a bad choice. I would, however, likely use the ASUS variant, in your shoes. EVGA is a fine option as well, however.

My absolute pleasure. Most folks tend to think of cases as purely ornamental, but they can have a surprisingly large impact on the temperature (and, thus, the noise) of your build. I chose a very well-cooled case myself, and certainly haven't regretted it.

Should you have any concerns or questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck and happy gaming!

Edit: Just noticed you plan on a future SLI (pardon my sloppy reading of the OP). The 750w version of the PSU in your current build is only $10 more expensive at the moment (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207023&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=), so you might want to consider using it in place of the 550w, if only to avoid needing to upgrade that when you SLI.

Solution