Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for budget 1080p gaming monitor. $120-$150

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 9, 2013 11:54:54 AM

I'm planning on building my first pc early next month and the only thing I havent decided on yet is the monitor. Budget is $120-$150 including shipping. I've heard IPS is the way to go but i've also heard some of them have issues with ghosting so I can live with TN if there are no decent IPS monitors in my price range. Right now i'm leaning towards the Asus VS229H-P. Can anyone suggest any better monitors within my budget? Thanks in advance.
July 9, 2013 12:02:17 PM

In your price range I would go with either the VS238H-P or the VS247H-P. Both have a better response time (2 ms GTG) meaning less ghosting. The 247 has higher brightness levels than the 238 (300 vs 250 cd/m2) but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Either would be fine. They are also a little bigger at 23" than the 21" that you mention. If you want the 21" then the VS229H-P is fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 12:33:46 PM

Raul Balda said:
In your price range I would go with either the VS238H-P or the VS247H-P. Both have a better response time (2 ms GTG) meaning less ghosting. The 247 has higher brightness levels than the 238 (300 vs 250 cd/m2) but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Either would be fine. They are also a little bigger at 23" than the 21" that you mention. If you want the 21" then the VS229H-P is fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Sorry, I should have mentioned that I can't go very much over $150 including shipping.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 9, 2013 12:47:29 PM

jumpingisuseless167 said:
Raul Balda said:
In your price range I would go with either the VS238H-P or the VS247H-P. Both have a better response time (2 ms GTG) meaning less ghosting. The 247 has higher brightness levels than the 238 (300 vs 250 cd/m2) but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Either would be fine. They are also a little bigger at 23" than the 21" that you mention. If you want the 21" then the VS229H-P is fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Sorry, I should have mentioned that I can't go very much over $150 including shipping.

The VS238H-P should be $138 with shipping if you consider the $20 mail rebate. If you just want o pay less than the $150 then just go with the VS229H-P. I don't think there are better 1080p monitors within your price range
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 9, 2013 1:47:58 PM

That VS229HP is a good option in image quality (being IPS) but ASUS actually do fast IPS models too. Can you get the ML229H? It's IPS so excellent quality, but has ASUS's Trace Free feature for improving pixel response. Set it to 40 for best results. Maybe even the ML239H (I don't know what prices you'll get where you are). Alternatively, the Iiyama ProLite X2377HDS is a cheap, quality and fast screen. For that, set Overdrive to 0 (it goes from -2 to +2).
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 3:58:15 PM

Raul Balda said:
jumpingisuseless167 said:
Raul Balda said:
In your price range I would go with either the VS238H-P or the VS247H-P. Both have a better response time (2 ms GTG) meaning less ghosting. The 247 has higher brightness levels than the 238 (300 vs 250 cd/m2) but I wouldn't worry too much about that. Either would be fine. They are also a little bigger at 23" than the 21" that you mention. If you want the 21" then the VS229H-P is fine

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Sorry, I should have mentioned that I can't go very much over $150 including shipping.

The VS238H-P should be $138 with shipping if you consider the $20 mail rebate. If you just want o pay less than the $150 then just go with the VS229H-P. I don't think there are better 1080p monitors within your price range


Found a vs238h-p on Amazon for $149.99 with free shipping, thanks for pointing it out. :) 

Sam, unfortunately all of those monitors are out of stock or way outside my budget. However, thanks for pointing out Trace Free. If I can somehow get the money i'll buy a vs239h-p so I can have an IPS monitor with minimal ghosting.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 10, 2013 1:07:29 AM

You misunderstand - VS series don't have Trace Free. Just the models I mentioned plus a few others (more expensive). Enjoy your purchase :-)
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 3:13:59 PM

sam_p_lay said:
You misunderstand - VS series don't have Trace Free. Just the models I mentioned plus a few others (more expensive). Enjoy your purchase :-)


While the vs239h definitely doesn't have Trace Free, I believe the vs239h-p does.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 10, 2013 3:32:56 PM

jumpingisuseless167 said:
sam_p_lay said:
You misunderstand - VS series don't have Trace Free. Just the models I mentioned plus a few others (more expensive). Enjoy your purchase :-)


While the vs239h definitely doesn't have Trace Free, I believe the vs239h-p does.



Don't think so:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS239HP#spec...
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 5:01:04 PM

sam_p_lay said:
jumpingisuseless167 said:
sam_p_lay said:
You misunderstand - VS series don't have Trace Free. Just the models I mentioned plus a few others (more expensive). Enjoy your purchase :-)


While the vs239h definitely doesn't have Trace Free, I believe the vs239h-p does.



Don't think so:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS239HP#spec...


The only english review I could find for the vs239h-p claimed that the vs239h and the vs239n did not have Trace Free overdrive but that the vs239h-p did. I also found a video review for it on youtube (Which was a bit bad TBH) that went through the menu and the Trace Free setting was there.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 11, 2013 2:58:58 AM

Sounds like you're right then and ASUS just forgot to list it on their website. Looks like that's the one to go with then!
m
0
l
!