Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Phenom x4 965 vs A8-5600k??!!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 9, 2013 11:56:44 AM

Hi I am building a new GAMING PC. I had all my parts chosen but now some prices changed and i need to downgrade my processor. Just for reference I am putting in another graphics card, either a GTX 760 or a Radeon 7950, so the graphics in the A8 does not affect my decision. I will also be upgrading this processor during christmas or when I have a little more money. So finally, which of these two processors should I get for gaming??

More about : phenom 965 5600k

a b 4 Gaming
a c 151 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 12:00:56 PM

Both of those CPUs will bottleneck a GTX 760 SLI. So I would recommend neither one. You sure those are the only option? How about a FX-6300?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2013 12:09:39 PM

what's the rest of your build look like?

what's your budget?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 182 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 12:09:45 PM

ksham said:
Both of those CPUs will bottleneck a GTX 760 SLI. So I would recommend neither one. You sure those are the only option? How about a FX-6300?


... neither will noticeably bottleneck a 760 in most games... (1-5fps difference from an i5 in most games, up to a titan, cpus only really bottleneck poorly optimized console ports and games that are just badly coded, or single threaded)

as to the OP's question, you won't notice any difference between an a8 and an a10 or a phii x4, the cpus are too close together in performance to notice the "upgrade". an FX 6300 will probably feel pretty similar to the a8 as well, excepting in multithreaded tasks, which is where it will soundly beat down all those quad core options.

so yes... an fx6300 would be a better option then both the A10 and phiix4
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 151 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 12:14:56 PM

@ingtar33: a single Phenom II X4 965 vs GTX 760 SLI = no bottleneck? Really!?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 182 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 12:26:06 PM

ksham said:
@ingtar33: a single Phenom II X4 965 vs GTX 760 SLI = no bottleneck? Really!?


ah... you're right. those tricky letters at the end escaped me... SLi... in SLi, yes, the PhII, a8, a10 AND fx6300 will all become bottlenecks. Once you start to talk SLi it becomes hard to suggest any cpu from AMD outside of one of the octo cores (8320/8350)... and even those will be a bottleneck in many games

(sorry, didn't notice the SLi in the post)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 210 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 12:38:06 PM

The 8 core AMD CPUs won't bottleneck...the 6300 would only become a bottleneck if it remains at stock clocks and only in certain games. If you're not going to OC your CPU, I would recommend spending a few more $ and get the 6350 since it's stock clocks are right around 4.0 GHz.
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 3:05:02 PM

8350rocks said:
The 8 core AMD CPUs won't bottleneck...the 6300 would only become a bottleneck if it remains at stock clocks and only in certain games. If you're not going to OC your CPU, I would recommend spending a few more $ and get the 6350 since it's stock clocks are right around 4.0 GHz.


So most of you guys are saying they both suck an will bottleneck a little. And I honestly can't fit a 6300 in the build, so like I said I'm going to upgrade to a 8350 or 6300 by Christmas time. So just plain and simple, which of these CPUs would you go with?? I know they will almost perform about the same but which will even be just a little better?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 151 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 3:18:36 PM

Not a little; a lot. Even a FX-8350 will be a bit of a bottleneck at stock speeds. But the choice between a FX-8350 or a FX-6300, I would definitely go with a FX-8350. But Steamroller should be out by then so you may want to re-evaluate this at a later time.
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 3:21:33 PM

ksham said:
Not a little; a lot. Even a FX-8350 will be a bit of a bottleneck at stock speeds. But the choice between a FX-8350 or a FX-6300, I would definitely go with a FX-8350. But Steamroller should be out by then so you may want to re-evaluate this at a later time.


No I don't mean in SLI or whatever. And I know the 8350 is better. I am wondering which is better the Phenom 2 x4 965 or the a8-5800k
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 210 à CPUs
July 9, 2013 5:13:05 PM

The Phenom II X4 965 on a AM3+ 990FX series MB makes more sense if you are upgrading to a 6300 or 8350 later since the MB will work for those as well with the newest versions of BIOS.
Share
!