Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Actually looking to underclock, not overclock..

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 9, 2013 5:03:42 PM

Hey guys, my PC currently has an EVGA gtx 660 SC in it, which is overclocked to 1046 MHz instead of 980 MHz (I believe?) on the normal gtx 660. I've been having problems with it overheating (it could also be a lack of power, but as I understand it underclocking would help either way), so I want to underclock it back to 980 MHz. Basically, I want help on how to do this (I can guess at what to do in MSI afterburner but I don't want to accidentally fry anything), and if this isn't a good idea for any reason, I'd also like to know that. The card has been getting up to 85 deg C while playing certain games, and some times my screens have gone black, audio has started stuttering, and the fan speed has gone up to 100%, which the internet has led me to believe is most likely a lack of power, but I have a 600W power supply, which should be more than enough to support the card. Thanks very much for any help.
If it helps, this is a link to the card on tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
Edit: Another reason I want to underclock it is that I have an error when trying to play battlefield 3 which, according to the forums, can only be fixed by underclocking the card or increasing the power.

More about : underclock overclock

Best solution

a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 5:53:44 PM

Im sorry you found info like that, because that is not a good solution.

However, to answer your question, Precision X has a power percent bar and gpu offset. Dropping those will underclock. But will not solve your problem.
Increasing voltage was mentioned since it will combat power loss due to heat issue. Underclock was mentioned to reduce heat production. See the common denominator? Your problem is heat.

Besides, the 980 is core clock.1046 is kepler boost. Which is not always active.

You want actually fix your problem? We need to fix your cooling. Airflow direction, case intake/exhaust cfm, wire management, setting proper fan curve and usage, etc. If interested in a proper fix let us know, provide system specs, csse model, fans used and flow direction, pics are even better
Share
July 9, 2013 6:10:57 PM

Buzz247 said:
Im sorry you found info like that, because that is not a good solution.

However, to answer your question, Precision X has a power percent bar and gpu offset. Dropping those will underclock. But will not solve your problem.
Increasing voltage was mentioned since it will combat power loss due to heat issue. Underclock was mentioned to reduce heat production. See the common denominator? Your problem is heat.

Besides, the 980 is core clock.1046 is kepler boost. Which is not always active.

You want actually fix your problem? We need to fix your cooling. Airflow direction, case intake/exhaust cfm, wire management, setting proper fan curve and usage, etc. If interested in a proper fix let us know, provide system specs, csse model, fans used and flow direction, pics are even better


Ok, I'll try to give that info..
Case is CoolerMaster HAF 912, has 2 fans in front pulling air in and 1 at back pushing air out.
Motherboard is Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU is i5-3570k
GPU is EVGA gtx 660
PSU is OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular Power Supply
HDD is 2tb, I believe the name was something along the lines of Seagate Barracuda? Can't find exact name.
Nothing is OC except for the GPU which came OC, and I haven't bought any aftermarket cooler.
If there's anything I'm missing, tell me. I can't get you pics, unfortunately.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 6:20:22 PM

Fans are setup right for the 912. It benefits from positive air pressure.

When you play your game, do you hear the vid card fan spin faster/get louder? Hsve you ever used the EVGA Precision X software that came with your card? I bet if you launch it, click off auto fan settings, set fans to max [default max is 80%] and click start with windows box, you will see improvement.

IIRC, doesn't the 912 have a side mount for a fan too? I don't think it came with a vga cooler mod like the X and 932 though
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 6:59:24 PM

There's a mount for a fan between the mobo and the right wall of the case.. not even sure if a fan can really fit there without touching the mobo though.
How much more work would it be to set up a fan curve? I don't mind if fan is loud in games but I would prefer it to not be like that always
Edit: After looking around in the program, is it possible to set up a custom fan curve?
Edit2: Is Precision X literally a reskinning of MSI afterburner? If you mouse over a certain element, it even has the same mouse over text explaining it...
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 7:19:53 PM

Click the Fan Curve button, then select “Enable software automatic fan control”. After this you can setup a custom fan curve.

Personally, I have all set points dragged up to 80%, except for below 35c temp setting. This is where my card idles during no use and up to basic surfing. As soon as my temps hit 37c fan goes full bore

And yeah you might be able to fit a fan in there, slim models are made. But thats really more for cooling the back of the mobo behind your cpu seat, so no point

Edit X and MSI AB are very similar. If you are more comfortable with AB it can be used too
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 7:23:22 PM

The 660 sc+ card is a bit of a warm bugger if you dont set fan curve and feed it cool air. My gf has it in her case. My tri sli 670 are watercooled, but before mounting they had same settings
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 7:39:08 PM

quick fix=undervolt and underclock
until you get better cooling,mainly a GPU sink or block.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 7:49:30 PM

That is like someone telling you to walk around naked because yoy have a fever... treat the problem not the symptom.

The gpu sink from evga is more than capable of handling the gpu load, and exhausts externally too! Better than most aftermarket solutions. Fix the fan curve. Manage your wires to improve flow. Do not underclock or undervolt. You paid for that level of performance, use it. Fix the problem
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 7:55:39 PM

I'll see how the fan curve works out tomorrow on whether it will still crash when playing certain games (the one I was having trouble on is Firefall), but one last question. Is it possible to set up a profile that is underclocked to the benchmark clock that will automatically be selected when I'm using a certain process? The crashes in BF3 are separate from the temperature issues, and happen purely because the game doesn't work properly with some OCed hardware, so if it would be possible to automatically have the card UC when BF3 is running and only when BF3 is running, it would be extremely convenient.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 7:59:42 PM

Buzz247 said:
That is like someone telling you to walk around naked because yoy have a fever... treat the problem not the symptom.

The gpu sink from evga is more than capable of handling the gpu load, and exhausts externally too! Better than most aftermarket solutions. Fix the fan curve. Manage your wires to improve flow. Do not underclock or undervolt. You paid for that level of performance, use it. Fix the problem

All those cards run crazy hot,and have a weak vrm setup.You might could do better just by replacing the TIM and cranking up the fan some.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 8:04:06 PM

Yes it is possible. I know what you are referring to with bf3 oc crash issues. This is not your problem. Those threads are talking about oc cards beyond factory set.

1) are you updated to drivers 320.x?
2) I hate to say it but I have seen factory built cards totally fubarred on the thermal material application. May be something we want to look at later.
3) you are experiencing this issue with bf3 specifically due to the level of stress that game puts on ANY card.And every symptom you describe Iis heat related - every one of them

Case in point - to rule out heat if you dont believe me. Set X (I think Ab has save log function) to record and save log. Go back and look at data at crash time. Guarantee your volts spike as 600series are dynamic not specific control, usage bounces wildly, and ram use dumps, while temps rose steadily
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 8:17:08 PM

I purposefully haven't updated to 320.18 because of the stories about it wrecking hardware. I'll look into the thermal paste, although that would require voiding the warranty, which I was hoping to avoid. Also, on the BF3 forums I have seen people saying they had cards that were factory OC that fixed the problems through underclocking to benchmarks, and I would at least like to see if that works for me. I'll also experiment with that tomorrow. Just to be clear, to underclock, I shouldn't have to touch the voltage, right? Or would I have to lower that slightly also.
I also can't seem to find anywhere how to make a profile tied to BF3. Would need another piece of software or am I just missing something?
I'm gonna get off for the night, thank you very very much for the advice. When I first got one of these crashes, I completely panicked because I thought my computer had completely died on me... good to know it's something I can relatively easily fix.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 8:22:33 PM

extremegopher said:
I purposefully haven't updated to 320.18 because of the stories about it wrecking hardware. I'll look into the thermal paste, although that would require voiding the warranty, which I was hoping to avoid. Also, on the BF3 forums I have seen people saying they had cards that were factory OC that fixed the problems through underclocking to benchmarks, and I would at least like to see if that works for me. I'll also experiment with that tomorrow. Just to be clear, to underclock, I shouldn't have to touch the voltage, right? Or would I have to lower that slightly also.


If you don't lower the voltage,you'll get the same temps anyway. :) 

m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
July 9, 2013 8:47:54 PM

@schmuk if you read to what the issue is (fans never curved properly) you would realize that your statement is total bunk. As I said above, 600 series is dynamic voltage. You cannot undervolt by design per evga

@op try out w/e you want to and mentioned how ti underclock. You cannot undervolt as I said. I gave you the actual answer to your actual problem. If you feel it must be elsewhere by all means troubleshoot. Good luck have fun - try and ignore the bad info trolls
m
0
l
!