Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

AMD's CPU Different view

Tags:
  • AMD
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
July 9, 2013 5:57:14 PM

Let's look on another side of AMD vs Intel.
I have another question it sounds not as "which one is better for gaming AMD or Intel?"
I want to look from other side
How much perfomance I'll lose if I choose AMD's CPU?
Does it sence to pay more for Intel?

P.S.
English is not my native language so thats it

More about : amd cpu view

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 9, 2013 6:07:13 PM

Might make more sense to purchase based on needs. Both camps have chips with price tags that do not pencil well when you compare it with their performance.

You should take power consumption into consideration, as some chips are much more efficient than others, and in essence, over the span of time the machine is run, an initial price difference may actually be overcome with less than ideal results.

So, try to figure up a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), if you can. :-)

In many of my builds I do for myself, I also consider that by sticking to a single platform or ecosystem, every system usually ends up with a nice upgrade at some point, as parts trickle down.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 9, 2013 6:18:38 PM

Performance at what? If you're talking encoding, file compression or encryption...you don't lose anything, in fact you gain over Intel. If you're talking rendering...unless you go to a 3770k you're gaining there as well. In fact, there are many areas other than gaming where AMD is actually ahead.

Here are some examples:



































Hope that helps...
Share
Related resources
July 9, 2013 6:20:26 PM

bigpinkdragon286 said:
Might make more sense to purchase based on needs. Both camps have chips with price tags that do not pencil well when you compare it with their performance.

You should take power consumption into consideration, as some chips are much more efficient than others, and in essence, over the span of time the machine is run, an initial price difference may actually be overcome with less than ideal results.

So, try to figure up a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), if you can. :-)

In many of my builds I do for myself, I also consider that by sticking to a single platform or ecosystem, every system usually ends up with a nice upgrade at some point, as parts trickle down.


So for example I want to build gaming pc on AMD's CPU,I'll take gtx 670,8gb ram and 1tb hdd
Does it sence to take i5 3570k?How much perfomance I'll lose with AMD?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2013 6:22:26 PM

Simon BaGaev said:
Let's look on another side of AMD vs Intel.
I have another question it sounds not as "which one is better for gaming AMD or Intel?"
I want to look from other side
How much perfomance I'll lose if I choose AMD's CPU?
Does it sence to pay more for Intel?

P.S.
English is not my native language so thats it


depends on who you are and what are you using the computer for:

If you live in North American/Europe, or the more developed Asian countries, have a decent job, and is choosing a CPU as your main work/gaming computer (you spend 1+ hours on it daily on average), then yes, it will always make sense to pay more for Intel. you get more performance, and the motherboard chip set will support more stuff. even if you upgrade often, you're paying what? $100 more for a better, faster performance every 1-2 years (ok you're upgrading very often). that's only a little over $0.1 per day.

if you have a smaller budget, or the computer will not be used in a way where you notice the performance difference (HTPC, basic web-browsing, or lighter gaming/programing), then value becomes more important, and AMD would often be my recommendation here
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 6:25:33 PM

Quote:
Might make more sense to purchase based on needs. Both camps have chips with price tags that do not pencil well when you compare it with their performance.


^+1

There are plenty of competitive options from AMD for many of Intel's products. So you should buy on performance requirements. If you need a 4770K from intel or higher, then there is not going to be an AMD cpu for you ... otherwise if you are wanting lets say an i5 4600 or less from intel, then you can find a substitute AMD that will fill your requirements.

However once you concern yourself with integrated graphics (for high end CPUs, AMD A series APUs are awesome) and power consumption Intels offerings become harder to beat.
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 6:25:35 PM

8530rocks,
Actually I interested in gaming perfomance

m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 9, 2013 6:28:03 PM

Simon BaGaev said:
bigpinkdragon286 said:
Might make more sense to purchase based on needs. Both camps have chips with price tags that do not pencil well when you compare it with their performance.

You should take power consumption into consideration, as some chips are much more efficient than others, and in essence, over the span of time the machine is run, an initial price difference may actually be overcome with less than ideal results.

So, try to figure up a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), if you can. :-)

In many of my builds I do for myself, I also consider that by sticking to a single platform or ecosystem, every system usually ends up with a nice upgrade at some point, as parts trickle down.


So for example I want to build gaming pc on AMD's CPU,I'll take gtx 670,8gb ram and 1tb hdd
Does it sence to take i5 3570k?How much perfomance I'll lose with AMD?



What games do you play?











I can get you many more depending on the games you play...but generally...less than 5 FPS difference if there is a difference at all...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2013 6:28:52 PM

Simon BaGaev said:
8530rocks,
Actually I interested in gaming perfomance



for only gaming, got with the intel i5 options
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 9, 2013 6:44:49 PM

vmem said:
Simon BaGaev said:
8530rocks,
Actually I interested in gaming perfomance



for only gaming, got with the intel i5 options


GPUs make more difference there...really...if the CPU effects your FPS by <5 FPS, but spending an extra $100 on a GPU gains you 10-20 FPS over what you would've gotten, then you're ahead going with AMD CPUs + better GPU.

8350 + HD 7970 GHz > 3570k/4670k + HD 7870
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 6:49:23 PM

vmem said:
Simon BaGaev said:
8530rocks,
Actually I interested in gaming perfomance



for only gaming, got with the intel i5 options


For me is not problem to buy i5 but I want to know does it cost 100-200$ more ?will it give me completely different gaming experience If I choose fx 8350 or smth else from AMD
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2013 7:00:28 PM

8350rocks said:
vmem said:
Simon BaGaev said:
8530rocks,
Actually I interested in gaming perfomance



for only gaming, got with the intel i5 options


GPUs make more difference there...really...if the CPU effects your FPS by <5 FPS, but spending an extra $100 on a GPU gains you 10-20 FPS over what you would've gotten, then you're ahead going with AMD CPUs + better GPU.

8350 + HD 7970 GHz > 3570k/4670k + HD 7870


for now PCIe 3.0 is poorly supported on most AM3+ boards, and top-tier GPUs are starting to max out PCIe 2.0. given that we don't know if AMD will have a chipset revision to better support PCIe 3.0 in the future, I prefer to go the Intel route for a purely gaming PC. otherwise, you're right, it's very much dependent on personal preference, and the GPU is more important
m
0
l
July 9, 2013 7:04:57 PM

8350rocks,
So do u want to say that I'll take 3570k and 7870 its like 3570k and gtx 670?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 9, 2013 7:48:18 PM

I would actually agree with 8350rocks in that you'll get far better results with a higher end GPU than going with Intel. Nothing wrong with their product, but the extra horsepower in the Intel chip is clearly not leveraging as much return as the money spent on a better graphics.
m
0
l
a c 210 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 10, 2013 7:00:13 AM

Simon BaGaev said:
8350rocks,
So do u want to say that I'll take 3570k and 7870 its like 3570k and gtx 670?


Yes...more or less...The GTX 670 is about HD 7870/7950 performance (kind of in between the 2).

Also, the 3570k will run you about $50 more between CPU and MB right now, the 4670k would run you significantly more than that. The 8350 + HD 7970 GHz would be a monster combination.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 10, 2013 8:44:26 AM

While the GTX 670 may perform between the HD 7870 and 7950 for gaming (not counting the 7870 LE), when it comes to compute it's a different story. All other things being equal, I would pick AMD based on it's compute abilities.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:35:00 AM

8350rocks said:
Simon BaGaev said:
8350rocks,
So do u want to say that I'll take 3570k and 7870 its like 3570k and gtx 670?


Yes...more or less...The GTX 670 is about HD 7870/7950 performance (kind of in between the 2).

Also, the 3570k will run you about $50 more between CPU and MB right now, the 4670k would run you significantly more than that. The 8350 + HD 7970 GHz would be a monster combination.


Monster in good opinion or its just trolling?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 10, 2013 9:46:13 AM

Monster good. An 8350 + HD 7970 GHz edition would be a potent combination.
m
0
l