Solved

Multi-Monitor Resolution Problems

Hi all, I'm having issues with having my games run at proper resolutions.

My original monitor was a Dell 21" sp2008wfp that ran at a maximum of 1680x1050.

I just got a new Acer monitor (that sweet 27" deal from Newegg last week) 1080p.

I use it as the primary. However when I launch games and go to video settings I can not change from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080.
I checked my settings in Windows and with Nvidia control panel and it seems that I set those up right. (Auto-Cofig)

I notice when I launch games that not only does my Acer Monitor "flicker" when the game launches but so does the other monitor.

Any help?
Saz
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about multi monitor resolution problems
  1. What graphics card do you have, and what games are you trying to play?
  2. Neospiral said:
    What graphics card do you have, and what games are you trying to play?


    Nvidia GTX570
    Portal
    Arma2
    Bioshock (Not infinite)
    Skyrim
    TF2
    PayDay

    I tried downloading nvidia experience to autoconfig game settings and that did not help

    EDIT***
    Well, it seems that Payday, Skyrim, and Arma2 are all fine.
    The others I can not get to work.

    With Portal&TF2 I can't select 1080.
    And with bioshock when I do, it minimizes the window so it only takes up part of the screen and I can see my desktop. Its almost like playing in Windowed mode.
  3. Regular stuff- in Windows desktop resolution settings, make sure the Acer is the primary monitor, running at 1920x1080, blah blah blah.

    I know some Valve games have resolution issues, although I've never heard of a resolution so common as 1920x1080 not being available. Are there resolutions both above and below yours that are available for those games?

    Have you tried disconnecting your old monitor and running exclusively on the new one?
  4. Neospiral said:
    Regular stuff- in Windows desktop resolution settings, make sure the Acer is the primary monitor, running at 1920x1080, blah blah blah.

    I know some Valve games have resolution issues, although I've never heard of a resolution so common as 1920x1080 not being available. Are there resolutions both above and below yours that are available for those games?

    Have you tried disconnecting your old monitor and running exclusively on the new one?


    I have turned the old monitor (set as secondary in both Windows and Nividia) off.
    Didnt change anything. I didnt try disconnecting it.
    Its funky how TF2 will allow 1080p all of a sudden but not Portal. Considering they are both Source games. :s
    I kinda chalk up Bioshock to being a DX9 game. I had issues in the past with Fallout3
  5. Best answer
    sazyario said:
    Neospiral said:
    Regular stuff- in Windows desktop resolution settings, make sure the Acer is the primary monitor, running at 1920x1080, blah blah blah.

    I know some Valve games have resolution issues, although I've never heard of a resolution so common as 1920x1080 not being available. Are there resolutions both above and below yours that are available for those games?

    Have you tried disconnecting your old monitor and running exclusively on the new one?


    I have turned the old monitor (set as secondary in both Windows and Nividia) off.
    Didnt change anything. I didnt try disconnecting it.
    Its funky how TF2 will allow 1080p all of a sudden but not Portal. Considering they are both Source games. :s
    I kinda chalk up Bioshock to being a DX9 game. I had issues in the past with Fallout3


    Well, I can personally vouch both Bioshock and Fallout 3 as being able to run in any resolution I've thrown at it. It's a very, very odd problem. All digital connections are being used, I assume? The only thing left I could think of to try is to uninstall all drivers completely, disconnect everything but the new screen, and reinstall the drivers that way, then reinstall the games.
Ask a new question

Read More

Resolution Games Monitors Graphics