Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a good i3 laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 10, 2013 4:48:24 AM

Hey guys I'm going to buy a Dell Inspiron 15(3521) laptop, these are the specs--
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-3227U processor (3M Cache, 1.9 GHz)

Windows 8

4GB 1 DIMM (1X4GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz

500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

AMD Radeon™ HD 8730M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM

Dell™ Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n with Bluetooth v4.0

15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with True Life and HD resolution (1366 x 768)

8-in-1 Memory Card Reader

6-cell Lithium Ion (65WHr) Battery

Chiclet Keyboard with Touchpad and num pad

1.0 mega pixel widescreen HD WebCam (1280 x 720)

Price - $588.06(With a Targus Backpack and 1 year Complete cover)

Is the deal good or are there other laptops in this range...

More about : good laptop

a c 278 À AMD
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2013 2:16:13 PM

Looks pretty good pricewise, might check the laptops at NewEgg.com to compare, they have a good selection
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2013 2:45:46 PM

Considering it has a dGPU, that's a pretty good deal. Only downside is the CPU is soldered to the socket, so no potential for upgrading later.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 120 À AMD
a c 455 D Laptop
July 10, 2013 5:57:09 PM

Another downside is that it only comes with 1 stick of RAM which means the RAM will only be operating in single channel mode. However, since the vast majority of laptops allows you to install more RAM later that can be easily remedied. In dual channel mode you will probably gain about a 10% - 15% overall improvement in performance.
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 4:02:32 AM

Prostar Computer said:
Considering it has a dGPU, that's a pretty good deal. Only downside is the CPU is soldered to the socket, so no potential for upgrading later.


http://ark.intel.com/products/72057/Intel-Core-i3-3227U...
The processor(i3-3227U processor) isn't that bad,

But guys I have another option -
Samsung(NP370R5E-S06IN) specs -
Intel Core i3 Processor 3120M (2.5 GHz 3 MB L3 Cache) + AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2GB gDDR3 + RAM 4GB DDR3 + 15.6 Inch 1366 x 768 Pixel HD LED Anti Reflective Display + 3-cell Battery, PRICE - $566.04

More powerful processor and GPU and greater HDD(750gb) but shorter battery life than the Inspiron 15 and much better looks too! Should I go for it?
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 4:04:15 AM

jaguarskx said:
Another downside is that it only comes with 1 stick of RAM which means the RAM will only be operating in single channel mode. However, since the vast majority of laptops allows you to install more RAM later that can be easily remedied. In dual channel mode you will probably gain about a 10% - 15% overall improvement in performance.


Not a problem, the RAM is upgradeable upto 8gb (2 slots)
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 4:05:39 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Looks pretty good pricewise, might check the laptops at NewEgg.com to compare, they have a good selection


I don't think they deliver in Asia... Actually I wanted a good i3 laptop for everyday tasks not gaming, the fast-middle class GPU is just a boon for this laptop and for me!
m
0
l
a c 278 À AMD
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2013 7:51:42 AM

Didn't know where you are, was thinking it was a place just to compare different models
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
July 11, 2013 9:27:00 AM

Zeus996 said:
http://ark.intel.com/products/72057/Intel-Core-i3-3227U...
The processor(i3-3227U processor) isn't that bad,

But guys I have another option -
Samsung(NP370R5E-S06IN) specs -
Intel Core i3 Processor 3120M (2.5 GHz 3 MB L3 Cache) + AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2GB gDDR3 + RAM 4GB DDR3 + 15.6 Inch 1366 x 768 Pixel HD LED Anti Reflective Display + 3-cell Battery, PRICE - $566.04

More powerful processor and GPU and greater HDD(750gb) but shorter battery life than the Inspiron 15 and much better looks too! Should I go for it?


The 3227U is meant to draw less power and produce less heat, and as such, it suffers from low clocks (worse performance), as well as no Turbo feature (on the fly overclock). Sooo yeah, it's not a very good processor. Very entry level.

The Samsung does seem better, although if you want battery life, that 3 cell battery with the 3120M is going to hurt it.
Share
July 12, 2013 8:22:58 AM

Prostar Computer said:
Zeus996 said:
http://ark.intel.com/products/72057/Intel-Core-i3-3227U...
The processor(i3-3227U processor) isn't that bad,

But guys I have another option -
Samsung(NP370R5E-S06IN) specs -
Intel Core i3 Processor 3120M (2.5 GHz 3 MB L3 Cache) + AMD Radeon HD 8750M 2GB gDDR3 + RAM 4GB DDR3 + 15.6 Inch 1366 x 768 Pixel HD LED Anti Reflective Display + 3-cell Battery, PRICE - $566.04

More powerful processor and GPU and greater HDD(750gb) but shorter battery life than the Inspiron 15 and much better looks too! Should I go for it?


The 3227U is meant to draw less power and produce less heat, and as such, it suffers from low clocks (worse performance), as well as no Turbo feature (on the fly overclock). Sooo yeah, it's not a very good processor. Very entry level.

The Samsung does seem better, although if you want battery life, that 3 cell battery with the 3120M is going to hurt it.


I think that's acceptable, gaming is usually done with the charger plugged in, it can run for about 3.5 hours surfing the web, though not excellent its decent enough.
m
0
l
!