Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a better graphics card, mine kicks out so much heat

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 10, 2013 8:27:36 AM

Hiya,

I currently have the ATI Radeon HD 5970 with arctic cooler fan. I'm looking to upgrade my card to something better, it also kicks out quite alot of heat. I've been comparing afew cards and found the Nvidia GeForce GTX 770, if you find something better please let me know. Would really appreciate it.

I have around 300-400 quid to spend, maybe more depending on the card.
I'll be selling the HD5970 once I'm setup with newer card.

Cheers!
July 10, 2013 8:32:16 AM

get a gtx 770 or radeon 7970, there both at about 400 and they will run 1080p on ultra with 60fps. however if you are willing to spend a little more go for two gtx 760's or two 7950's they are about 500 for each and they will run about as good as a titan. make sure you have a psu for that though. whats your build?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 8:32:28 AM

I can personally highly recommend the 770 if it is in your budget. I own the EVGA with the ActiveX cooler, works really well. Doesn't get too hot, and it runs everything with room to spare. They also make a reference design with a shroud cooler that blows all the heat out the the back of the case instead.
Share
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 8:34:14 AM

Avoid SLI if you want to minimise heat :-) The GTX770 is indeed your best option. How much will the 5970 sell for?
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:35:23 AM

bdiddytampa said:
I can personally highly recommend the 770 if it is in your budget. I own the EVGA with the ActiveX cooler, works really well. Doesn't get too hot, and it runs everything with room to spare. They also make a reference design with a shroud cooler that blows all the heat out the the back of the case instead.


if you want a 770 that is the card to go for either the evga or asus. If you want a superclocked one though go for the msi lightning
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:41:05 AM

My build is :
Intel i7 930 2.8GHz - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MoBo
Sapphire HD 5970 2GB with Artic Colling Accelero XTREME
WD 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD
Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
Artic Power Pro 850W PSU
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:45:09 AM

killerb4dger said:
My build is :
Intel i7 930 2.8GHz - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MoBo
Sapphire HD 5970 2GB with Artic Colling Accelero XTREME
WD 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD
Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
Artic Power Pro 850W PSU


the psu can definitely support two 760's in sli, what is your screen resolution?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 8:50:50 AM

I know a lot of the SLI issues are non-issues now, but I'm still a proponent of going for the fastest single card you can afford now, and SLI if you need to later. They are much better at getting SLI drivers out for new games than they used to, but I see no reason to go SLI straight out of the box, especially at this price point. The 770 is more than enough without possible issues.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:52:44 AM

bdiddytampa said:
I know a lot of the SLI issues are non-issues now, but I'm still a proponent of going for the fastest single card you can afford now, and SLI if you need to later. They are much better at getting SLI drivers out for new games than they used to, but I see no reason to go SLI straight out of the box, especially at this price point. The 770 is more than enough without possible issues.


are there problems with crossfire?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 8:58:43 AM

mrdmatt123 said:

are there problems with crossfire?


There have been more problems with crossfire setups than SLI yes. Again both companies are doing much better with the multicard setups, but the smoother more trouble free experience IMO, is with a solid single card from either manufacturer. The problem with both setups is that they have to release a specific profile for a specific game for both cards to be used properly, and those profiles don't always come out when the game does. AMD has been having problems with stutter and latency issues, but they have promised a driver fix by the end of the month, I'd def wait and see if it actually works before committing.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:58:54 AM

mrdmatt123 said:
killerb4dger said:
My build is :
Intel i7 930 2.8GHz - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MoBo
Sapphire HD 5970 2GB with Artic Colling Accelero XTREME
WD 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD
Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
Artic Power Pro 850W PSU


the psu can definitely support two 760's in sli, what is your screen resolution?


Its 1920×1080 full 1080p
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 9:02:10 AM

at 1080p there really is no reason to SLI 2 760s. If you were running a higher resolution, or multiple monitors, there would be an argument for it, but at 1080p even a single 770 is slight over kill lol. Nothing wrong with a little overkill though, overkill translates to longevity :-)
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:03:34 AM

killerb4dger said:
mrdmatt123 said:
killerb4dger said:
My build is :
Intel i7 930 2.8GHz - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MoBo
Sapphire HD 5970 2GB with Artic Colling Accelero XTREME
WD 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm HDD
Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHz
Artic Power Pro 850W PSU


the psu can definitely support two 760's in sli, what is your screen resolution?


Its 1920×1080 full 1080p


i would suggest going with a 770 then and save up and get another gpu and a better monitor in the future.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 9:04:25 AM

^^^ +1 ^^^
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:08:52 AM

Thanks for your helps guys, alot of info. I think I'll start with the 770 and slowly upgrade from there. (monitor, SLI etc)
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:18:38 AM

don't forget to pick the best solution :) 
m
0
l
!