Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How does my Gaming build look?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 10, 2013 8:36:04 AM

Hey guys, building a new pc sometime this month primarily for gaming. I expect the build to handle next gen games well and be at a playable frame rate, 60fps and above, obviously with the settings not being at max settings. I will also be moving the pc every weekend, so i have chosen a case with handles on.
Corsair c70 case
I5-4670k
Msi z87 g45 motherboard
Msi gtx 760 2gb
Hyper 212 evo
Crucial ballistix 8gb 1600mhz
WD 1tb blue
Samsung 840 120gb ssd
DVD burner
Corsair builder series 750w modular psu
I have already got my OS, and i understand the 760 is not a very high end card, but i thought i would spend more on the rest of the build and buy another 760 around Christmas time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

More about : gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:38:11 AM

What is your budget?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:39:39 AM

Actually the GTX760 is brilliant - absolutely high-end. Just not top-end, but it's not miles off the models above. 750 watts is a lot more than you need for that but will be ideal when it comes to SLI time.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:40:28 AM

Can you tell me your budget, who knows i might be able to fit in a better build for lesser price. Who knows?

By the way, this build is good but it cannot play games at 60+ fps per second, it might play it but then you might need to reduce the settings quite a lot, so a 760 is a no for me if you want to play next gen games at 60+ FPS.

So just send me the budget, i might be able to put together a better build for the same price. I am quite good at that stuff, thanks to TomsHardware for that
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:44:07 AM

Wow thanks for all the quick replies! :D  my budget is £1000. I am aware that i could get the gtx 770 by going with the 3570k and z77 extreme 4 and a cheaper case, but i don't know if i should do that! :p 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:48:35 AM

Don't forget novatech.co.uk, dabs.com, ebuyer.com and aria.co.uk
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:52:07 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£185.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£122.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£51.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£347.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.95 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£99.96 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £995.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Add a SSD when you can. A few from Dabs and Aria PC if that is okay.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:54:04 AM

I would look at the Hyper 212 evo. There are better air cooling options out there, and I am not sure the Hyper 212 evo will cool much better than stock cpu heatsink and fan. Are you going to overclock? If so, you really need to look at the Noctua NH-14 or a Watercooling set up, although with you moving the pc frequently, I would probably stay away from watercooling. The Noctua NH-14 is probably your best bet for air cooling, as you will actually see better results over stock heatsink and fan, although you will need low profile ram to utilize it most likely. Happy Gaming!!~~~ Suferbus :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:54:15 AM

nice build but if you want good temps , stay away from that case , i love the way it looks but it has poor airflow !!

+1 for the handles on it :) 

btw , if you want better airflow case with handles , you can go for the cooler master storm series .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:58:05 AM

Thanks a lot guys! Any suggestions on what case then, if the c70 has bad airflow, handles are kinda necessary
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 8:58:39 AM

Sorry didn't see your link :p 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 8:58:45 AM

KareemGT said:
nice build but if you want good temps , stay away from that case , i love the way it looks but it has poor airflow !!

+1 for the handles on it :) 

btw , if you want better airflow case with handles , you can go for the cooler master storm series .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why do you say that?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:05:04 AM

ksham said:
KareemGT said:
nice build but if you want good temps , stay away from that case , i love the way it looks but it has poor airflow !!

+1 for the handles on it :) 

btw , if you want better airflow case with handles , you can go for the cooler master storm series .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why do you say that?


the C70 is bad cooling case because of the poor airflow , that's why am saying that .
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:06:12 AM

trax101 said:
Sorry didn't see your link :p 


so what do think about the CM trooper , is it good choice ? or you are looking cheaper , better , another models ??
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:07:25 AM

I disagree on the corsair c70 having bad air flow. there is installation vents for alot of intake and exhaust fans, so utilize all of them and you will be good. I would install intake fans on the front and side, and exhaust on the rear and top for best air flow. The C70 comes with 3 fans, and has installation points for 7 more, so idk where you get bad airflow, but not true..sorry. Go for it if you like it! Case pick is okay in my opinion, and Corsair makes a rugged chassis so moving it around should not be an issue~~~ Suferbus :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:07:38 AM

ksham said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£185.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£122.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£51.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£347.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.95 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£99.96 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £995.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Add a SSD when you can. A few from Dabs and Aria PC if that is okay.


I would not waste time configuring a complete build on PCPartPicker, this guy has selected a good gaming PC for that price. I see no reason for not going for this build. Some changes that i would like to make in this build are :

1. PSU : Don't be ridiculous.. there is no need for a 850W PSU on a haswell PC. Get a 600-750W PSU with better rating such as 80 Plus Gold, go for 80 Plus Platinum if you can. It is the best out there.

2. CPU Cooler : Go for the H80i for the best overclocking performance for the price. Water cooling is the best for overclocking and the Corsair water coolers are very efficient and very easy to install.

These are the changes i would suggest, otherwise it is a damn fine build, go for that build with some minor changes. That is a beast and something that i would have had personally recommended.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:08:23 AM

I kinda want to stick with the c70, i haven't seen anything online about it having bad airflow?
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:12:18 AM

I forgot about the Scout 2, is there any reason to choose the advanced over the normal 2?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:12:24 AM

Suferbus said:
I disagree on the corsair c70 having bad air flow. there is installation vents for alot of intake and exhaust fans, so utilize all of them and you will be good. I would install intake fans on the front and side, and exhaust on the rear and top for best air flow. The C70 comes with 3 fans, and has installation points for 7 more, so idk where you get bad airflow, but not true..sorry. Go for it if you like it! Case pick is okay in my opinion, and Corsair makes a rugged chassis so moving it around should not be an issue~~~ Suferbus :) 


i know a lot of guys who used that case , and they all agree with the bad airflow on it .
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:12:43 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:
ksham said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£185.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£122.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£51.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£347.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.95 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£99.96 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £995.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Add a SSD when you can. A few from Dabs and Aria PC if that is okay.


I would not waste time configuring a complete build on PCPartPicker, this guy has selected a good gaming PC for that price. I see no reason for not going for this build. Some changes that i would like to make in this build are :

1. PSU : Don't be ridiculous.. there is no need for a 850W PSU on a haswell PC. Get a 600-750W PSU with better rating such as 80 Plus Gold, go for 80 Plus Platinum if you can. It is the best out there.

2. CPU Cooler : Go for the H80i for the best overclocking performance for the price. Water cooling is the best for overclocking and the Corsair water coolers are very efficient and very easy to install.

These are the changes i would suggest, otherwise it is a damn fine build, go for that build with some minor changes. That is a beast and something that i would have had personally recommended.
Sangeet, yes watercooling is best option, but h80 i does not cool much better than a really good air cooling option, and that has been benchmarked everywhere on the internet in gaming and building forums everywhere, also, he will be moving this pc around alot, and I really dont think installing a watercooler is a good idea for a pc that will be mobile. A lot of knocking and bumping around cannot be good for watercooling..js~~~~Suferbus :) 

m
0
l

Best solution

July 10, 2013 9:14:18 AM

KareemGT said:
Suferbus said:
I disagree on the corsair c70 having bad air flow. there is installation vents for alot of intake and exhaust fans, so utilize all of them and you will be good. I would install intake fans on the front and side, and exhaust on the rear and top for best air flow. The C70 comes with 3 fans, and has installation points for 7 more, so idk where you get bad airflow, but not true..sorry. Go for it if you like it! Case pick is okay in my opinion, and Corsair makes a rugged chassis so moving it around should not be an issue~~~ Suferbus :) 


i know a lot of guys who used that case , and they all agree with the bad airflow on it .

No way, not possible at all. A chassis with 7-10 fans will not have bad air flow with proper cable routing, I don't care who makes it. Get real, I don't care who said it, it just don't make any sense at all in any way period. Sorry, js~~~ Suferbus

Share
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:17:08 AM

trax101 said:
I forgot about the Scout 2, is there any reason to choose the advanced over the normal 2?


Suferbus said:
KareemGT said:
Suferbus said:
I disagree on the corsair c70 having bad air flow. there is installation vents for alot of intake and exhaust fans, so utilize all of them and you will be good. I would install intake fans on the front and side, and exhaust on the rear and top for best air flow. The C70 comes with 3 fans, and has installation points for 7 more, so idk where you get bad airflow, but not true..sorry. Go for it if you like it! Case pick is okay in my opinion, and Corsair makes a rugged chassis so moving it around should not be an issue~~~ Suferbus :) 


i know a lot of guys who used that case , and they all agree with the bad airflow on it .

No way, not possible at all. A chassis with 7-10 fans will not have bad air flow with proper cable routing, I don't care who makes it. Get real, I don't care who said it, it just don't make any sense at all in any way period. Sorry, js~~~ Suferbus



you know what buddy :)  , i think you are right about it , Go for that case if you want to spend some extra cash on the case it self , or go for the scout 2 advanced if you want to save some dollars for the Graphic card .
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:17:43 AM

ksham said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£185.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.97 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£122.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£51.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£347.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.95 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£99.96 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.15 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £995.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Add a SSD when you can. A few from Dabs and Aria PC if that is okay.


Great job suggesting an SSD. SSd's are very under utilized and for the overall performance gain vs price per gb, they should be used more often.. I use an ssd for the os in every build!! ~~~ Suferbus
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:19:30 AM

Im going to stick with the c70, ditch the heatsink for now, and get the 770 and the 3570k&extreme4. I will be able to add a heatsink in the future anyway. Thank you all for the replies, been realy useful.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 9:27:41 AM

Awesome! Good luck and Happy Gaming!!! Submit a pic of your build once your finished, I would like to see it... ~~~ Suferbus :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:44:46 AM

Sangeet Khatri said:
I would not waste time configuring a complete build on PCPartPicker, this guy has selected a good gaming PC for that price. I see no reason for not going for this build. Some changes that i would like to make in this build are :

1. PSU : Don't be ridiculous.. there is no need for a 850W PSU on a haswell PC. Get a 600-750W PSU with better rating such as 80 Plus Gold, go for 80 Plus Platinum if you can. It is the best out there.

2. CPU Cooler : Go for the H80i for the best overclocking performance for the price. Water cooling is the best for overclocking and the Corsair water coolers are very efficient and very easy to install.

These are the changes i would suggest, otherwise it is a damn fine build, go for that build with some minor changes. That is a beast and something that i would have had personally recommended.

For SLI, yes you would need it. 600-750W won't suffice with the build I had and SLI. As for #2, don't be ridiculous. It is first of all not true water cooling. That CLC will barely do better than the Phanteks one that I suggested. And air cooling requires almost no maintenance. And there are reported cases of CLC coolant degrading after long exposure on high overclocking. It made a mess.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:46:26 AM

Suferbus said:
No way, not possible at all. A chassis with 7-10 fans will not have bad air flow with proper cable routing, I don't care who makes it. Get real, I don't care who said it, it just don't make any sense at all in any way period. Sorry, js~~~ Suferbus

More fans != better airflow. It comes down to positioning and setup. A case stocked with 10 fans will likely encounter more turbulence than desired airflow for cooling purposes.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 9:52:19 AM

ksham said:
For SLI, yes you would need it. 600-750W won't suffice with the build I had and SLI. As for #2, don't be ridiculous. It is first of all not true water cooling. That CLC will barely do better than the Phanteks one that I suggested. And air cooling requires almost no maintenance. And there are reported cases of CLC coolant degrading after long exposure on high overclocking. It made a mess.


Just how much do you think a GTX770 draws? At extreme loads it'll need ~230 watts. Usually far less. Plus a very generous allowance of 200 watts for the rest of the system (just to err on the side of too much). I make that a lot less than 850. Even with SLI, a quality 750 watt would be more than ample.
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 11:09:00 AM

I also agree on the power supply. I ran crossfire with two 7870's Ghz editions on an Antec 650 Tru Power with no problems at all, and plenty of room to spare.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 11:16:04 AM

@sam_p_lay: 460W + 84W (CPU) + 80W (motherboard) + 90W (HDD + SSD + optical) = 714W. But that would give limited room for overclocking or any other expansions like another HDD. Not that 850W is required. 800W is just as good but I couldn't find a good 800W PSU. Most are just 850W.

@Suferbus: HD 7870 CrossFireX on 600W is usually sufficient.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 1:17:55 PM

Where on earth did you get 80 watts motherboard and 90 watts front drives from? I'd be very interested to know where you read that. One of us is very wrong about the power consumption of these components.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 2:44:59 PM

I meant to say 30W. Sorry for the confusion. Was in a hurry to eat lunch and had 84W in mind and accidentally hit 80W.

During startup/spinup, they take about 25W average IIRC. But after that, they should use about 10W-11W. So I was factoring that in.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 10, 2013 2:56:57 PM

Fair enough, though when spinning up it's unlikely CPU and GPU(s) would be at load :-) 30 watts is a generous allowance for the optical and 10 watts is correct for hard disks. 1-2 watts for SSDs so barely worth considering. Granted as you mention overclocking can increase draw considerably depending on how extreme the OC is (draw will scale linearly with clock freq but can go through the roof as you ramp up voltages).
m
0
l
!