Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my graphics card over the top?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 10, 2013 10:34:29 AM

Hi, I'm building a gaming pc for my bedroom tv, primarily to play arma 3.
The following specs are what I can afford to buy, but I'm not sure what the tv can use in reality.

The tv is a Hitachi l32h01ua hd tv 32 inch.

The graphics card is my main concern, not sure if it is just a waste of money running it on that tv.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4430 (3.0GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z87M-PLUS: m-ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6.0, XFIRE
Memory (RAM) 32GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX TITAN - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply 650W FSP RAIDER SERIES RA-650 80 PLUS® BRONZE
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans 2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 Gb
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Any assistance and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks once again.

More about : graphics card top

July 10, 2013 10:36:10 AM

Use a 780 instead of a Titan. They're pretty much the same thing (the 780 is cut down a BIT, but it also saves you almost half of the cost)
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 92 U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 10:39:19 AM

your tv/monitor is a 720p archaic monitor. so yes. you're graphics is about $800 too much for it. Back that one down to a 780 and spend the saved cash on an actual 1080p monitor or 3 (you could get 3 23" 1080p monitors for the cash you save backing off the titan to the 780). Or you could go crazy, get 2 760s in SLi (which is better than the titan) and bump up the quality of monitor to a 120hz beast of some sort.

either way it's absolutely imperative you get a better monitor or 3 because on your ancient 720p junker, a $150 gpu (7850/650ti BOOST) will look just as good as that titan.
Share
Related resources
July 10, 2013 10:39:36 AM

Using one display and running a Titan is about as useless as buying 200 burgers to feed 100 children. You know right off the bat you paid for more than you will ever need. Go 780 or wait for AMD to pull their 9000's out. But if you dont wanna wait, like myself, then the 780 is the way to go my friend
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 10:41:35 AM

Larry Bob said:
Use a 780 instead of a Titan. They're pretty much the same thing (the 780 is cut down a BIT, but it also saves you almost half of the cost)


Thank you for the reply, it is greatly appreciated
m
0
l
July 10, 2013 10:44:25 AM

ingtar33 said:
your tv/monitor is a 720p archaic monitor. so yes. you're graphics is about $800 too much for it. Back that one down to a 780 and spend the saved cash on an actual 1080p monitor or 3 (you could get 3 23" 1080p monitors for the cash you save backing off the titan to the 780). Or you could go crazy, get 2 760s in SLi (which is better than the titan) and bump up the quality of monitor to a 120hz beast of some sort.


either way it's absolutely imperative you get a better monitor or 3 because on your ancient 720p junker, a $150 gpu (7850/650ti BOOST) will look just as good as that titan.


Thank you for the full explanation, you guys are great!

m
0
l
July 10, 2013 10:49:00 AM

b737lvr said:
Using one display and running a Titan is about as useless as buying 200 burgers to feed 100 children. You know right off the bat you paid for more than you will ever need. Go 780 or wait for AMD to pull their 9000's out. But if you dont wanna wait, like myself, then the 780 is the way to go my friend


Thank you! 780 sounds good, thanks once again

m
0
l
July 10, 2013 11:35:12 AM

Spend the cash you saved buying the 780 on a good 1080p monitor like the Asus VS239H (or 3)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2013 11:37:28 AM

You don't need more than 2 x 4GB or RAM for a gaming PC. More is a complete waste.

You have an overclocking Z-series mobo with a locked CPU so that's a mismatch. Need a 4670K and aftermarket cooler or drop the mobo to a H87.

Get a quality 600W or so power supply from XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.

You can actually go down to a gtx 760 without a new monitor and still be a little overkill.
m
0
l
!