Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Pc using old HDD

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 10, 2013 3:38:07 PM

Ok, so on my new pc i am going to be buying a nice SSD for my bootup/windows and such, for my backup drive/extra space i will be using a harddrive that is currently the backup drive/extra space (hence containing all my games).

My question is, after i install my windows on my SSD can i put my backup harddrive in my new pc with all the data still on it as it has not had a windows operating system installed on it

More about : hdd

July 10, 2013 3:54:57 PM

You can us that hdd and the data will be on it but im not sure every installed program will work correctly. Depends what you got installed on that HDD.
July 10, 2013 3:58:29 PM

theProbe said:
You can us that hdd and the data will be on it but im not sure every installed program will work correctly. Depends what you got installed on that HDD.

All im really after is my games, anything eles i dont mind re-installing
Related resources
July 10, 2013 5:33:20 PM

hazza7107 said:
theProbe said:
You can us that hdd and the data will be on it but im not sure every installed program will work correctly. Depends what you got installed on that HDD.

All im really after is my games, anything eles i dont mind re-installing


Why of course you can. you can put as many drives as you want into your new pc. I would just recommend probably scan your old hard drive you don't corrupt your new system. And you might need to re-install your program.
July 10, 2013 5:36:11 PM

techknowitall said:
hazza7107 said:
theProbe said:
You can us that hdd and the data will be on it but im not sure every installed program will work correctly. Depends what you got installed on that HDD.

All im really after is my games, anything eles i dont mind re-installing


Why of course you can. you can put as many drives as you want into your new pc. I would just recommend probably scan your old hard drive you don't corrupt your new system. And you might need to re-install your program.

Are you suggesting that i just do a HDD clear then install it? Because i just want to keep my steam games and origin games, but if i have to wipe it along with my primary HDD i will.

Best solution

July 10, 2013 5:43:43 PM
Share

hazza7107 said:
techknowitall said:
hazza7107 said:
theProbe said:
You can us that hdd and the data will be on it but im not sure every installed program will work correctly. Depends what you got installed on that HDD.

All im really after is my games, anything eles i dont mind re-installing


Why of course you can. you can put as many drives as you want into your new pc. I would just recommend probably scan your old hard drive you don't corrupt your new system. And you might need to re-install your program.

Are you suggesting that i just do a HDD clear then install it? Because i just want to keep my steam games and origin games, but if i have to wipe it along with my primary HDD i will.


Please, Please DO Not do that, you can kept all your games. Just make sure that your HDD has no virus. And when you installed make sure that windows recognizes it because it won't come up at first in Explorer. (I don't remember how to do that, look it up on youtube)
July 10, 2013 5:48:44 PM

techknowitall said:
hazza7107 said:
techknowitall said:
hazza7107 said:
theProbe said:
You can us that hdd and the data will be on it but im not sure every installed program will work correctly. Depends what you got installed on that HDD.

All im really after is my games, anything eles i dont mind re-installing


Why of course you can. you can put as many drives as you want into your new pc. I would just recommend probably scan your old hard drive you don't corrupt your new system. And you might need to re-install your program.

Are you suggesting that i just do a HDD clear then install it? Because i just want to keep my steam games and origin games, but if i have to wipe it along with my primary HDD i will.


Please, Please DO Not do that, you can kept all your games. Just make sure that your HDD has no virus. And when you installed make sure that windows recognizes it because it won't come up at first in Explorer. (I don't remember how to do that, look it up on youtube)

Thanks for the answer, i will do just that
!