Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

PhysX on AMD GPU?

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
July 11, 2013 4:02:18 AM

I was wondering whether i would be able to use the PhysX feature on an AMD GPU? How do i get it to work? do i have to install anything?

More about : physx amd gpu

July 11, 2013 5:53:50 AM

No , AMD graphics cards does not support and feature any physx technology. No physx is posssible on AMD gpu. If you want to play games with physx then buy a nvidia graphics cards.
m
2
l
July 11, 2013 6:00:47 AM

You wont be able to run PhysX off an AMD card, but you can still install PhysX drivers and run it off the CPU.
However I ahve found that games tend to not give you a PhysX option at all without an Nvidia card, and running PhysX off the CPU gets you pretty horrible performance (which may have something to do with Nvidia hobbling PhysX on CPU it with inefficient code).
m
0
l
Related resources
July 12, 2013 6:27:39 AM

Dave2527 said:
I was wondering whether i would be able to use the PhysX feature on an AMD GPU? How do i get it to work? do i have to install anything?


if you're talking about gpu accelerated PhysX the answer is not. just don't get it confused with game that are using PhysX as their primary physics engine. for example all Unreal Engine 3.0 based games have PhysX because PhysX is the one of the core component of UE 3. but all the physics calculation are still done by cpu. the type of PhysX that nvidia usually promoting like the one in Batman Arkham series are much more advance type of PhysX that get the help from the gpu (well nvidia gpu) to calculate much more complex physics simulation.
m
0
l
January 31, 2014 12:45:58 PM

I'm playing Batman Origin on a Radeon HD 7750 and PhysX works. Only have issues in the prison.
m
0
l
September 10, 2014 7:25:41 PM

dabadguycr said:
I'm playing Batman Origin on a Radeon HD 7750 and PhysX works. Only have issues in the prison.


I recently got Arkham Origins, and used the benchmark. With PhysX on my performance goes down all the way down to 20 fps... while in the prison sement... And this is with an R9 290.

So yeah PhysX on Arkahm Origins will run, but very poorly on an AMD card.
m
1
l
September 11, 2014 5:20:59 AM

manofchalk said:
You wont be able to run PhysX off an AMD card, but you can still install PhysX drivers and run it off the CPU.
However I ahve found that games tend to not give you a PhysX option at all without an Nvidia card, and running PhysX off the CPU gets you pretty horrible performance (which may have something to do with Nvidia hobbling PhysX on CPU it with inefficient code).


Please stop with a "inefficient code" argument. The original Ageia PhysX sepc did use X87 for the binaries that run on the CPU, but at the time, SSE wasn't a thing yet. When NVIDIA acquired Ageia in the mide 2000's (2008ish I think), they started to re-work the API, which wasn't done until about 2010 (when they broke backward compatibility with the Ageia PPU). At that point, the API used SSE rather then X87. So the inefficient code argument is a fallacy, since it hasn't been valid for about 5 years now.

Some types of Physics simulations are VERY hard to do on a CPU. Anything with fluid dynamics, multiple object interactions, or some forms of cloth simulation is VERY expensive to perform properly. They all benefit from being run on the GPU. And those are the ones that typically eat performance in games. That's why, outside of PhysX, you don't see these done realistically done at all, because they are simply too hard to do.
m
2
l
September 15, 2014 12:23:15 PM

Do you know how to get it work on Warframe? From CPU? the Option is Always In Gray... i installed the Physx Drivers but does not work. Is the turbelance Effect what i want.
Any Answers?
m
0
l
September 15, 2014 12:48:40 PM

Nightfate said:
Do you know how to get it work on Warframe? From CPU the Option is Always In Gray... i installed the Physx Drivers but does not work.
Any Answer?


what is your actual GPU?
m
1
l
September 15, 2014 8:50:46 PM

Eeermmm. You only have to look at competing physics engines (i.e. physics engine in frostbite , or even latest iterations of Havok) which run completely in cpu time and give comparable \ better effects than PhysX to see how inefficient PhysX as a general rule is.

gamerk316 said:
manofchalk said:
You wont be able to run PhysX off an AMD card, but you can still install PhysX drivers and run it off the CPU.
However I ahve found that games tend to not give you a PhysX option at all without an Nvidia card, and running PhysX off the CPU gets you pretty horrible performance (which may have something to do with Nvidia hobbling PhysX on CPU it with inefficient code).


Please stop with a "inefficient code" argument. The original Ageia PhysX sepc did use X87 for the binaries that run on the CPU, but at the time, SSE wasn't a thing yet. When NVIDIA acquired Ageia in the mide 2000's (2008ish I think), they started to re-work the API, which wasn't done until about 2010 (when they broke backward compatibility with the Ageia PPU). At that point, the API used SSE rather then X87. So the inefficient code argument is a fallacy, since it hasn't been valid for about 5 years now.

Some types of Physics simulations are VERY hard to do on a CPU. Anything with fluid dynamics, multiple object interactions, or some forms of cloth simulation is VERY expensive to perform properly. They all benefit from being run on the GPU. And those are the ones that typically eat performance in games. That's why, outside of PhysX, you don't see these done realistically done at all, because they are simply too hard to do.


m
1
l
September 15, 2014 9:17:44 PM

I don't know about other games, but my FX-8320 runs PhysX fine in Mirror's Edge combined with an HD 6850. If I run PhysX fluidmark, I have a constant 48+ framerate when I use 7 cores. That's at 720p, but I don't think PhysX cares about resolution.
m
0
l
September 15, 2014 9:35:24 PM

NightAntilli said:
I don't know about other games, but my FX-8320 runs PhysX fine in Mirror's Edge combined with an HD 6850. If I run PhysX fluidmark, I have a constant 48+ framerate when I use 7 cores. That's at 720p, but I don't think PhysX cares about resolution.


i never play mirror's edge so i can't comment on that. but to enable PhysX effect in warframe you need nvidia GPU.
m
0
l
September 16, 2014 4:25:54 AM

Guys... Physx on the CPU is simply not a viable option.
The way the CPU is made simply does not allow it (why you think GPUs appeared in the first place?)
m
0
l
September 17, 2014 7:29:16 AM

renz496 said:
Nightfate said:
Do you know how to get it work on Warframe? From CPU the Option is Always In Gray... i installed the Physx Drivers but does not work.
Any Answer?


what is your actual GPU?


R9 270x
m
0
l
September 17, 2014 7:31:12 AM

renz496 said:
NightAntilli said:
I don't know about other games, but my FX-8320 runs PhysX fine in Mirror's Edge combined with an HD 6850. If I run PhysX fluidmark, I have a constant 48+ framerate when I use 7 cores. That's at 720p, but I don't think PhysX cares about resolution.


i never play mirror's edge so i can't comment on that. but to enable PhysX effect in warframe you need nvidia GPU.

Well, i'm going to sell this AMD card and buy an Nvidia i want those effects.
Tks
m
0
l
October 11, 2014 5:44:02 AM

Nightfate said:
renz496 said:
NightAntilli said:
I don't know about other games, but my FX-8320 runs PhysX fine in Mirror's Edge combined with an HD 6850. If I run PhysX fluidmark, I have a constant 48+ framerate when I use 7 cores. That's at 720p, but I don't think PhysX cares about resolution.


i never play mirror's edge so i can't comment on that. but to enable PhysX effect in warframe you need nvidia GPU.

Well, i'm going to sell this AMD card and buy an Nvidia i want those effects.
Tks


This is an old thread but it should still work, you do need a seperate nvidia card for the physx, but anything like an old 9800 or 260 should work for you. Ive had a GTS 250 running with a 4870, 4890, 4870 X2, 6870, 6950, and 7870LE, lol honestly that little GTS 250 is probably the best card ive ever had. It's been working just fine for 4.5 years while ive upgraded my primary card continuously, best 50 dollar video card purchase ever in my book.

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/22136-how-to-fix-hyb...
m
0
l
March 11, 2015 11:12:45 AM

Well, you can run AMD GPU with NVIDIA GPU only in hybrid physics mode. Here is a link that might help you: http://youtu.be/dXQ5pI7DZoQ
m
0
l
April 14, 2015 11:44:44 AM

Dave2527 said:
I was wondering whether i would be able to use the PhysX feature on an AMD GPU? How do i get it to work? do i have to install anything?


there is one way- you need a weaker nvidia gpu, then run it in hybrid.
m
0
l