Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Question About Game Development Company Workstation PCs

Tags:
  • Development
  • Workstations
  • PCS
  • Games
  • Systems
  • 3D
Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2013 1:35:18 PM

Hello, everyone.

I have been looking around and into Workstation PCs for 3D Game Development. While I was looking around, I realized something: Should we not have different Workstation PCs depending on the occupation? For example, wouldn't a Sound Effects Designer need a Workstation with a high end Sound Card? Or perhaps a 3D Modeller would require a Workstation with high end Workstation Graphics Card for 3DS Max or any other CAD software? So, my question is does every occupation in the business require a specially customized Workstation to suit their needs? Or would we be able to combine, say the Graphics and Programming department's PCs? Please leave your opinions and facts and thank you in advance!

SilverWolf9000

More about : question game development company workstation pcs

July 11, 2013 1:54:21 PM

There is no reason you can't customize a workstation, if you need a better GPU, buy or spec it with a higher GPU. Need a better sound card, buy one or spec it with a better sound card.
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 2:07:11 PM

My question is though should I customize them differently or just get one make and model for the entire development team? Thanks for your answer though! :) 
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 15, 2013 9:54:23 PM

You definitely want to give each member a personalized machine. In the Industry, a sound specialist won't have a graphically intense machine and a CAD designer won't have a professional sound card. Simply they won't use it. A producer/manager/director etc. will have decent access to everything, that way he/she can monitor production and change/ revise the project. Sometimes (rarely) very powerful machines are assigned to multiple users to simultaneously work on different elements.

Source: My uncle is a producer in Northern California.
Share
July 16, 2013 12:18:39 AM

You could design one generic "Workstation" machine, which you then customize based on the needs of who its going too.

Make a workstation rig template like; Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, etc.
Then when you have the sound guys, throw a sound card at the machine, when you have your guys who work in 3DS Max throw something like a Quadro at it, for any video production guys throw another 2TB HDD at it for RAID.

When you have the CEO, give them an A10 APU then throw an SSD cache at the rig. They wont benefit from having particularly beefy hardware, but its good to make it seem like their getting the best of the best :lol: .
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 12:23:06 AM

BranFlake5 said:
You definitely want to give each member a personalized machine. In the Industry, a sound specialist won't have a graphically intense machine and a CAD designer won't have a professional sound card. Simply they won't use it. A producer/manager/director etc. will have decent access to everything, that way he/she can monitor production and change/ revise the project. Sometimes (rarely) very powerful machines are assigned to multiple users to simultaneously work on different elements.

Source: My uncle is a producer in Northern California.

I have a feeling you know way more about this then I first imagined. :)  Thanks for your help as always!
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 8:15:31 PM

SilverWolf9000 said:
BranFlake5 said:
You definitely want to give each member a personalized machine. In the Industry, a sound specialist won't have a graphically intense machine and a CAD designer won't have a professional sound card. Simply they won't use it. A producer/manager/director etc. will have decent access to everything, that way he/she can monitor production and change/ revise the project. Sometimes (rarely) very powerful machines are assigned to multiple users to simultaneously work on different elements.

Source: My uncle is a producer in Northern California.

I have a feeling you know way more about this then I first imagined. :)  Thanks for your help as always!


If you have ANY other questions I'd be glad to help. Also when you release an Indie Title (Perhaps with Green Light) I'd like to know so I can support it and involve my friends.
m
0
l
July 16, 2013 9:03:22 PM

BranFlake5 said:
SilverWolf9000 said:
BranFlake5 said:
You definitely want to give each member a personalized machine. In the Industry, a sound specialist won't have a graphically intense machine and a CAD designer won't have a professional sound card. Simply they won't use it. A producer/manager/director etc. will have decent access to everything, that way he/she can monitor production and change/ revise the project. Sometimes (rarely) very powerful machines are assigned to multiple users to simultaneously work on different elements.

Source: My uncle is a producer in Northern California.

I have a feeling you know way more about this then I first imagined. :)  Thanks for your help as always!


If you have ANY other questions I'd be glad to help. Also when you release an Indie Title (Perhaps with Green Light) I'd like to know so I can support it and involve my friends.


You'll be the first to know friend! :)  Thanks for everything!
m
0
l