i3-3220 vs. FX-4300/FX-6300

Humanoid

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Recenlty, I've opened a thread about my system and my bottleneck problem in May 29. In recent thread, it revealed that my CPU was causing bottleneck on my GPU. In a result, I wait for Haswell CPUs. But they didn't fit my opinion very well.

Recent thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1686202/performance-issues-game-game-bottleneck.html

Nowadays, I want to change my CPU and motherboard. But I got stucked between i3-3220 and FX-4300/FX-6300.

I have HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5 as GPU. I want to play games normally on medium/high settings. Shadows, anti-alliasing etc. not important me too much. I just want to play games fluently in all genres.

On the other hand, I want my new system can be upgradable in the future.

Which CPU should I pick i3-3220 or FX-4300/FX-6300? One more thing, the power consumption around 40 watt between Intel and AMD's CPUs is really important about cost as performance per watt? And how much?

Thank you.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
At your pricepoint I'd say the AMD FX-6300 is your best bet. It will offer you CPU performance for a while longer than the other two and is priced nicely. The extra power it consumes is minuscule in terms of power costs.

Humanoid

Honorable
May 26, 2013

Thank you. :)

Thank you. :)

I understand. Nearly, they offer the same performance but there is a difference in their cores. Intel's CPU have a great single core performance, right? I want a future option so I can change them if I need. I bought my machine 4 years ago. Nowadays it is crippling my head with temprature, bottleneck along with performance problems.

I will be honest, I don't know what to do right now. AMD is scaring me because of my experiences. Intel has a good option but high prices. Because of that I can't touch i5 series Ivy Bridges' CPUs. 4 or 6 six cores is good option for future due to games starting using 4 cores more more efficient, right?

Glad to see you again hafijur. You are the one who helped me in my recent thread about my bottleneck problem. But, I can't understand what you say in that comment. Did you suggest me get an i5 2300? If it is like that I have to say it there isn't any vendor which is selling i5-2xxx series.

Could you give more information about Steamroller series? I think if I choice AMD's side I can upgrade my CPU to a Steamroller. I heard that AMD won't change its chipsets.

Humanoid

Honorable
May 26, 2013

I see. I decide to delete FX-4300 from my list because of it is has the same price with FX-6300. I'm not thinking about at the moment, I'm thinking about future. Because, I need just decent performance on medium or high settings any games at that moment. So that I think I have to choice FX-6300 or any quad core Intel CPU.

Are FX-6300 or Intel's quad core CPUs cause bottleneck on my GPU? What should my upper limit?

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Well here's how they both perform at stock:
http://www.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.hardware.info%2Freviews%2F3311%2F23%2Famd-vishera-review-fx-8350-fx-8320-fx-6300-getest-fx-8350-vs-i5-3550--fx-6300-vs-i3-3220

You also have to factor in that the i3-3220 lives on a dead platform. So there is no future upgrade path. With AM3+, that isn't the case there is still AMD Steamroller to come.

With consoles both being 8 core driven, the games being programmed right now, right this minute to run on them will be more highly threaded. When they release this fall. These games will effectively be PC games right from the get go (because consoles are so much like PCs now).

An i3 3220 sounds like a terrible idea at the moment. As for Intel Quads, such as in i5s, they're great but also much more expensive.