Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overclocking a Phenom II x4 965 black edition

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 11, 2013 8:31:26 PM

I'm new to overclocking but I have my CPU overclocked to 3.8 GHz and I want to take to 4.0 GHz and up, but when I take the multiplier up to 20 I get BSOD after about 5 seconds of running Prime 95. I also think the voltage to my CPU is to high being as it is at 1.512 V. I have a Asus M5A97 motherboard, a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Heatsink, and Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3- 1600 RAM.

EDIT: Will I need to overclock the RAM as well or will I be able to just overclock the CPU?

2nd EDIT: The overclock is stable ran Prime 95 for 12 hours without a issue, but at random times I'll be listening to music or on Youtube and every program that's running will crash or everything that's on the programs that didn't crash becomes distorted, but after a reset it's fine.

The overclock right now is 3.9 GHz 1.44 V (Goes up to 1.52 and 1.64 at idle and will go between 1.88 and 1.5 V under load) everything else I left at auto.

Best solution

a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2013 8:58:28 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-editi...

dear gods yes too high - there is your BSOD. Follow guide - start back at square one and take it step by step - DO NOT rush OC or you can damage components
Share
July 11, 2013 10:33:41 PM

Buzz247 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274820-29-black-editi...

dear gods yes too high - there is your BSOD. Follow guide - start back at square one and take it step by step - DO NOT rush OC or you can damage components


Thanks for the guide, turns out the voltage was on "Auto" but when I'm manually setting the CPU voltage I get BSOD no matter what, could this be from the RAM or am I just possible just over/under volting it?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2013 10:38:21 PM

possible from ram - what error u getting? u can rule out ram thru memtest bootable - but ya gotta be able to boot to do that - I suggest go back to stock - factory default everything - and begin again
m
0
l
July 11, 2013 10:51:06 PM

Buzz247 said:
possible from ram - what error u getting? u can rule out ram thru memtest bootable - but ya gotta be able to boot to do that - I suggest go back to stock - factory default everything - and begin again


I went back to factory defaults and everything seems to be good for now, I really have no idea what error I was getting.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 11, 2013 10:54:19 PM

sometimes best way is back to square one and start over - it happens to all of us lol. Keep us posted
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 2:54:22 PM

Buzz247 said:
sometimes best way is back to square one and start over - it happens to all of us lol. Keep us posted


It's set to 3.7 GHz at 1.46 V but when stress testing the voltage will drop to 1.43, it ran Prime 95 Mixed test for 12 hours without a problem at 52C, although it does BSOD at 3.8 GHz I think it's from the memory but it could be that the voltage will drop from 1.46 to 1.39.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2013 2:59:38 PM

if you are still running dynamic voltage you did not follow the guide i gave you well - I highly advise against dynamic for this very reason. Were you able to get the BSOD error number this time?

edit:side note - what PSU do you have and how old?
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 3:24:16 PM

Buzz247 said:
if you are still running dynamic voltage you did not follow the guide i gave you well - I highly advise against dynamic for this very reason. Were you able to get the BSOD error number this time?

edit:side note - what PSU do you have and how old?


My PSU is a Antec Neo Eco 450C, and the BSOD error is 0x0000124 and the computer was built about a year ago
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2013 5:22:57 PM

kinda weak for OC on that 450 but might be fine depending on total system draw

BSOD 124 when overclocking is a vcore alert - adjust vcore up or down in increments to stabilize. Of course, a dynamic setting or underpowered psu can cause this too
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 5:31:12 PM

Buzz247 said:
kinda weak for OC on that 450 but might be fine depending on total system draw

BSOD 124 when overclocking is a vcore alert - adjust vcore up or down in increments to stabilize. Of course, a dynamic setting or underpowered psu can cause this too


Thanks, I'm just wondering would I be able to disable the dynamic voltage? I heard it could be from having Cool n Quiet enabled.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2013 5:34:07 PM

oh yes - that would be prime cause
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 6:19:16 PM

Buzz247 said:
oh yes - that would be prime cause


Cool n Quiet is disabled in my bios, I found that at idle the voltage will stay at 1.452 V I have it set for 1.464, but it seems that when the usage of each core gets to be over 5% it will drop to 1.440 and at full load it will go from 1.440 to 1.428 and will just switch between those two voltages.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2013 6:31:40 PM

what board n bios is this? another side note - do you have good airflow over vrm heatsinks? thermal limiting on those can cause this
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 6:43:00 PM

Buzz247 said:
what board n bios is this? another side note - do you have good airflow over vrm heatsinks? thermal limiting on those can cause this


MB Asus M5A97 and the Bios is Asus uefi bios utility

EDIT: I think the voltages are fluctuating because of the CPU LLC, when it is on auto and disabled it drops the voltage like it was before but if I change it to enabled it starts going back up to 1.5-1.51, I think that maybe if I lower the CPU voltage down and then try with LLC enabled I might get a voltage around where I want, but I think that the CPU/NB LLC might be messing with it but I'm not sure.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2013 11:50:27 PM

load line calibration can do it - also - set your vdrop/vdroop to high if you havent already
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 12:27:21 AM

Buzz247 said:
load line calibration can do it - also - set your vdrop/vdroop to high if you havent already


It was the LLC, I found a way around it but it's probably not very proper, what I did was take the LLC from auto to Enabled which is making the voltage ramp up then I set the vcore to 1.437 V and when I booted into Windows the voltage was at 1.44 at idle and when running Prime 95 it seems to be staying at 1.488 V but it will jump down to 1.476 V or jump up to 1.5 V but it will only change for maybe 2 seconds then go back to 1.488. Mixed test has been running stable at 3.8 GHz for about an hour and 20 minutes.
m
0
l
a c 103 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2013 12:21:14 PM

Proper? Modders/overclockers don need no stinkin proper! Lol

If it's workin, stable, n good temps it's proper lol. Good for ya!
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 1:50:26 PM

Buzz247 said:
Proper? Modders/overclockers don need no stinkin proper! Lol

If it's workin, stable, n good temps it's proper lol. Good for ya!


lol. Thanks I'll post the final overclock and any other questions I might have, thanks for the help!
m
0
l
!