Solved

Can you use a secondary hard drive to boot a different OS on the same computer?

As the title states, can you use a different secondary hard drive to boot a different Operating system. I am currently using windows on a 500gb hard drive but want a hackintosh. Could I in theory use a secondary hard drive to boot Mac? and if I could how?

Thanks
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about secondary hard drive boot computer
  1. Best answer
  2. If your bios allows it, go into the bios and change the boot order of all drives such that your "hackintosh" precedes the internal drive.
  3. Zooshooter said:
    Yes, but you'd have to manually switch between the drives. Read these: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-mac-dual-operating-system-machine-4841124.html , http://www.wikihow.com/Dual-Boot-Mac-Os-X-Lion , http://www.rtxi.org/install/dual-boot-mac-os-and-linux/ There are LOTS of resources out there.


    Ah i've hit a problem looks to me like my rig doesn't support mac OS i have a AMD graphics card, is there a fix for this or am I done for?
  4. I do 7 and XP now.... I did a few linuxes in the past.
  5. Magikios said:
    Zooshooter said:
    Yes, but you'd have to manually switch between the drives. Read these: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-mac-dual-operating-system-machine-4841124.html , http://www.wikihow.com/Dual-Boot-Mac-Os-X-Lion , http://www.rtxi.org/install/dual-boot-mac-os-and-linux/ There are LOTS of resources out there.


    Ah i've hit a problem looks to me like my rig doesn't support mac OS i have a AMD graphics card, is there a fix for this or am I done for?


    Are you trying to set up a Mac OS on a Windows-based PC? I haven't heard of that being done before. Not sure why it would work for a Mac to run Windows but not a Windows-based PC to run a Mac OS. Mostly because I haven't ever looked into it before.
  6. Zooshooter said:
    Magikios said:
    Zooshooter said:
    Yes, but you'd have to manually switch between the drives. Read these: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-mac-dual-operating-system-machine-4841124.html , http://www.wikihow.com/Dual-Boot-Mac-Os-X-Lion , http://www.rtxi.org/install/dual-boot-mac-os-and-linux/ There are LOTS of resources out there.


    Ah i've hit a problem looks to me like my rig doesn't support mac OS i have a AMD graphics card, is there a fix for this or am I done for?


    yeah, my goal is to have win7 on one hard drive and Mac OS on another and simply booting the one i want from BIOS.


  7. Magikios said:
    Zooshooter said:
    Magikios said:
    Zooshooter said:
    Yes, but you'd have to manually switch between the drives. Read these: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-mac-dual-operating-system-machine-4841124.html , http://www.wikihow.com/Dual-Boot-Mac-Os-X-Lion , http://www.rtxi.org/install/dual-boot-mac-os-and-linux/ There are LOTS of resources out there.


    Ah i've hit a problem looks to me like my rig doesn't support mac OS i have a AMD graphics card, is there a fix for this or am I done for?


    yeah, my goal is to have win7 on one hard drive and Mac OS on another and simply booting the one i want from BIOS.







    That doesn't tell me whether or not the hardware you are using is designed to run a Mac OS or not, which is what I asked. If the hardware isn't designed to run it (Windows-based PC) then you won't be able to boot a Mac OS with it. To the best of my knowledge anyway.
  8. Motherboard - ASRock H77 M
    CPU - i5 2500k
    Graphics card - AMD 7870 Ghz edition.

    And I think that is all that it relevant.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage Computers Boot win7 hackintosh os