Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 770 SLI or GTX 780? Gaming! Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2013 9:20:31 AM

I'm trying to finish picking out the parts so i can build my gaming PC. I live in Australia and i am building a PC initially less than $2000AUD now it may be $2500AUD hahaha. I would like to buy a GPU that can last me a while and i was thinking either the Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB or 4GB in an SLI configuration, or a GTX 780. I need help on whats the best option and are there others. I dont want to crossfire AMD cards because there are problems. I would like to play most games in Ultra settings. i enjoy FPS games and would like to max out games like BF4 when it comes out. Especially with next-gen games on the horizon. I know about the Maxwell cards as well but i would like to know if the cards i have mentioned in this topic will be suitable for 2, 3, or 4 years. any help would be great! Thanks.
July 12, 2013 9:25:18 AM

There is really no need to buy GTX770 SLI configuration.
It will be WAY WAY WAY more expensive than a 780 and it will need more power and produce lots of heat.
i Would buy a 780 if i am you and maybe a mild OC on it
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2013 9:25:54 AM

As a single card, the GTX 780 gives less performance for the money than the 770. But in SLI configurations, you can scale it to higher performance more easily. So it depends on just how demanding you are when it comes to performance, and not least what resolution you'll be running (this also matters for the choice between 2GB and 4GB versions of the 770).
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2013 9:27:34 AM

GTX 770 SLI will beat the 780 easily
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2013 9:27:35 AM

wilgoz said:
There is really no need to buy GTX770 SLI configuration.
It will be WAY WAY WAY more expensive than a 780 and it will need more power and produce lots of heat.
i Would buy a 780 if i am you and maybe a mild OC on it

In the US, a pair of 770s costs $780 and a 780 costs $640. Not a huge difference, but the two 770s will outclass a single 780.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 9:39:03 AM

Sakkura said:
wilgoz said:
There is really no need to buy GTX770 SLI configuration.
It will be WAY WAY WAY more expensive than a 780 and it will need more power and produce lots of heat.
i Would buy a 780 if i am you and maybe a mild OC on it

In the US, a pair of 770s costs $780 and a 780 costs $640. Not a huge difference, but the two 770s will outclass a single 780.


In Australia a 780 costs $820, and two 2GB 770s cost $958.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 12, 2013 9:39:56 AM

How much graphics power do you rally need?
A single GTX770 will play most games well if you are using a single monitor.
A GTX780 is about as good as it gets, even with a 2560 x 1600 monitor.
If you are contemplating gaming first person shooters on triple monitors, or even a 4k monitor, then planning on dual cards would be in order. But, realize that it will be more expensive up front to prepare for that. You will need a sli capable motherboard, 150-200W stronger psu, and perhaps a case with better cooling.
My advice would be to buy a single GTX780 superclocked if you will be using a single monitor.
A psu of 650w would be about right. In the future, much stronger single cards will become available, but smaller 22nm manufacturing processes should keep the power requirements in check so you could change to one of them if necessary.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 9:49:17 AM

It's hard to say without knowing what resolution you play on. If you're playing at 1920x1080 (FHD), a 780 dominates Crysis 3, and it's unlikely that a more demanding game will come out over the next few years. That model also offers the best options for VRAM, which is supposed to be important for next gen games if the PS4's 8GB of VRAM is any indication of future hardware requirements.

I would feel badly if I did not recommend getting a 2560x1440 (WQHD) screen, though, because games look prettier at higher resolutions. My card gets approximately the same framerates for WQHD on Medium as it does for FHD on Ultra, and I find WQHD on Medium to be prettier.

Edit: It would require a pair of 770s to play next-gen games on Ultra at WQHD.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 9:50:29 AM

If you want to go SLI 770 at least get the 4 GB version, that way you wont come to any VRAM bottleneck in the time to come.. I rememebr when I bought my oldie gtx 560TI 1 GB, as 1 GB was standard, with BF3 had to turn off completly MsAA so it could run smoothly because it was eating up more the standrad for the time of 1 GB. Standard now is 2 GB, so get at least a GPU with 3 GB or 4 GB.

That being said, go for 1 GTX 780, hold off 1 year and get a 2nd 780 down the road.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 9:50:49 AM

well if im just going with one GTX 770, should i go with 2GB or 4GB? i will be playing on one monitor. the only issue i would have is if it got to the next gen games and i couldnt run them.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 12, 2013 9:53:29 AM

xConorHDx said:
well if im just going with one GTX 770, should i go with 2GB or 4GB? i will be playing on one monitor. the only issue i would have is if it got to the next gen games and i couldnt run them.


a 2GB will be enough for 1080p
get the 4GB if youre playing in a resolution any higher than that or multiple monitors ;) 
Share
July 12, 2013 10:00:56 AM

wilgoz said:
xConorHDx said:
well if im just going with one GTX 770, should i go with 2GB or 4GB? i will be playing on one monitor. the only issue i would have is if it got to the next gen games and i couldnt run them.


a 2GB will be enough for 1080p
get the 4GB if youre playing in a resolution any higher than that or multiple monitors ;) 


ok thanks :) 
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 10:10:07 AM

xConorHDx said:
wilgoz said:
xConorHDx said:
well if im just going with one GTX 770, should i go with 2GB or 4GB? i will be playing on one monitor. the only issue i would have is if it got to the next gen games and i couldnt run them.


a 2GB will be enough for 1080p
get the 4GB if youre playing in a resolution any higher than that or multiple monitors ;) 


ok thanks :) 


Hold on a moment... If you're willing to spend almost $1000 on graphics cards to get the best experience, and now you're going to walk away with a $400 770... well, let me just say that if I were in your position with your budget, I would spend $500 on a 2560x1440 monitor (or two more 1080p monitors) and then $400 on a $770 (i'm drooling just thinking about this combination)... if you can't run everything at ultra at WQHD, then set the resolution to 1080p.
m
0
l
July 12, 2013 10:14:27 AM

drewhoo said:
xConorHDx said:
wilgoz said:
xConorHDx said:
well if im just going with one GTX 770, should i go with 2GB or 4GB? i will be playing on one monitor. the only issue i would have is if it got to the next gen games and i couldnt run them.


a 2GB will be enough for 1080p
get the 4GB if youre playing in a resolution any higher than that or multiple monitors ;) 


ok thanks :) 


Hold on a moment... If you're willing to spend almost $1000 on graphics cards to get the best experience, and now you're going to walk away with a $400 770... well, let me just say that if I were in your position with your budget, I would spend $500 on a 2560x1440 monitor (or two more 1080p monitors) and then $400 on a $770 (i'm drooling just thinking about this combination)... if you can't run everything at ultra at WQHD, then set the resolution to 1080p.


that will make a pretty beasty config :p  i'm sure the SLI 770s will withstand the resolution. push for the 4GB version if you are aiming for the higher resolution monitor
m
0
l
!