Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Doing my first PC Build. Need help on CPU and motherboard

Last response: in Components
Share
July 12, 2013 9:29:04 AM

I'm soon going to be building my first gaming PC but I'm stuck on which motherboard and CPU to use. My CPU socket of choice is a LGA1155. For the GPU I'm looking into getting the Asus Direct CU II GTX 760. I want to be able to upgrade in the future to do SLI. My budget is $850. I also need some help on what RAM to get. Finally I also need help choosing a monitor prefreably a res of 1920x1080. Thanks. :??:  If I absolutely have to my budget max is 900

More about : build cpu motherboard

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2013 12:41:08 PM

yoshi669108 said:
I'm soon going to be building my first gaming PC but I'm stuck on which motherboard and CPU to use. My CPU socket of choice is a LGA1155. For the GPU I'm looking into getting the Asus Direct CU II GTX 760. I want to be able to upgrade in the future to do SLI. My budget is $850. I also need some help on what RAM to get. Finally I also need help choosing a monitor prefreably a res of 1920x1080. Thanks. :??:  If I absolutely have to my budget max is 900


The GPU is an excellent choice.

Here is what I would build with that budget: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/drewhoo/saved/1WHO

I did not choose an intel CPU because the only Intel CPU you can afford to fit into that budget is an i3, which has only 2 cores. 2 core processors are quickly becoming obsolete. The AMD FX 6300 has 6 cores and costs the same as a low-end i3. It is a much better value for your budget.
Share
July 13, 2013 3:45:07 AM

drewhoo said:
yoshi669108 said:
I'm soon going to be building my first gaming PC but I'm stuck on which motherboard and CPU to use. My CPU socket of choice is a LGA1155. For the GPU I'm looking into getting the Asus Direct CU II GTX 760. I want to be able to upgrade in the future to do SLI. My budget is $850. I also need some help on what RAM to get. Finally I also need help choosing a monitor prefreably a res of 1920x1080. Thanks. :??:  If I absolutely have to my budget max is 900


The GPU is an excellent choice.

Here is what I would build with that budget: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/drewhoo/saved/1WHO

I did not choose an intel CPU because the only Intel CPU you can afford to fit into that budget is an i3, which has only 2 cores. 2 core processors are quickly becoming obsolete. The AMD FX 6300 has 6 cores and costs the same as a low-end i3. It is a much better value for your budget.

Ok I decided to go with the FX 6300. Thanks A lot for helping me build my first gaming rig. If I ever need to upgrade my processor in the future I might upgrade to the 8320 8 core. :D 
m
0
l
Related resources
July 13, 2013 8:49:00 AM

Save a little more and get a 8350. You can overclock the 8320 pretty easily to 8350 speeds but the money you would have saved on the 8320 would be spent on an aftermarket cooler to achieve those speeds. Totally worth it.

Source: I own an 8350 and I love it.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2013 9:18:52 AM

EntropicTempest said:
Save a little more and get a 8350. You can overclock the 8320 pretty easily to 8350 speeds but the money you would have saved on the 8320 would be spent on an aftermarket cooler to achieve those speeds. Totally worth it.

Source: I own an 8350 and I love it.


It's very easy to say "If only I saved a little more I could get this" ... and then you either wait too long to build your computer or you spend too much money on it!

I agree that the 8350 is a better processor than the 6300, but given that yoshi's budget is about $740 ($900 - $160 monitor), an 8350 would take up more than 1/4 of that budget, which I think is too much.

Not to mention that it would be a 60% price increase (from a $120 6300 to a $200 8350) for a 40% increase in multi-threaded performance and very little increase in single-threaded performance, and no difference in overall architecture.

It's also not the first thing I would upgrade or add to a system on that budget; I think an SSD OS drive would improve performance more than the ugpraded processor would because it would be a 300% increase in read/write speeds over that mechanical hard drive.
m
0
l
July 13, 2013 10:40:21 PM

drewhoo said:
EntropicTempest said:
Save a little more and get a 8350. You can overclock the 8320 pretty easily to 8350 speeds but the money you would have saved on the 8320 would be spent on an aftermarket cooler to achieve those speeds. Totally worth it.

Source: I own an 8350 and I love it.


It's very easy to say "If only I saved a little more I could get this" ... and then you either wait too long to build your computer or you spend too much money on it!

I agree that the 8350 is a better processor than the 6300, but given that yoshi's budget is about $740 ($900 - $160 monitor), an 8350 would take up more than 1/4 of that budget, which I think is too much.

Not to mention that it would be a 60% price increase (from a $120 6300 to a $200 8350) for a 40% increase in multi-threaded performance and very little increase in single-threaded performance, and no difference in overall architecture.

It's also not the first thing I would upgrade or add to a system on that budget; I think an SSD OS drive would improve performance more than the ugpraded processor would because it would be a 300% increase in read/write speeds over that mechanical hard drive.


Yea, I will be going with the 6300 to start off with and as I proceed make some upgrades later on. I have a ssd from my older computer and was thinking if I could use that as my boot/application drive and use another HDD for my mass storage drive..

m
0
l
July 24, 2013 3:52:16 PM

yoshi669108 said:
I'm soon going to be building my first gaming PC but I'm stuck on which motherboard and CPU to use. My CPU socket of choice is a LGA1155. For the GPU I'm looking into getting the Asus Direct CU II GTX 760. I want to be able to upgrade in the future to do SLI. My budget is $850. I also need some help on what RAM to get. Finally I also need help choosing a monitor prefreably a res of 1920x1080. Thanks. :??:  If I absolutely have to my budget max is 900


I have a screamer I built using, MSI ATX AM3+ 760G 2DDR3 motherboard, new tower with 480w psu, with 10 gb ddr3 memory, AMD hexa core 3.5g fx 6300 unlocked, 1.5tb sata drive with an 2gb NVidia AMD graphics card, with win8. I love it. if you get a great motherboard you may want to look into 970 chipset, it will give you room to upgrade the processor to an 8 core later on. I am not a big gamer but my system handles my hungry truck driving simulator perfectly, compared to my old system the skipped and froze even with the graphics in the game turned way down to the bare minimum. I can run my game now with everything up!!
m
0
l
!