Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB 3.0 is slow

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 12, 2013 3:55:09 PM

Hey friends. I have bought a 2.5 inc HDD Case, USB 3.0 (Frisby) for my old Hitachi harddisk(5400rpm). When I tested it, I gave USB 2.0 speeds. My motherboard is P7H55/USB3.0 Intel. What should I do ? OS is Windows 8.

Edit: I tested WD My passport 500 Gigabyte External HD and It gave very fast results. It's about writes and reads 70/90 mb per second.

More about : usb slow

a b G Storage
July 12, 2013 4:02:48 PM

if you have windows 7 you need to make sure you installed the usb 3 drivers as windows 7 does not nativly support usb 3.
July 12, 2013 4:18:51 PM

mauller07 said:
if you have windows 7 you need to make sure you installed the usb 3 drivers as windows 7 does not nativly support usb 3.


Nop. I use W8 mate. I installed a driver. I don't know whether it's compitible with W8 or not. I read a lot of topic but cannot found answer. Is it may be because of driver ?
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 13, 2013 1:53:40 AM

what read speeds are you gettings because a 5400rpm external hdd will never saturate USB 3.0 to its full speed anyway.
July 13, 2013 6:02:19 AM

tobisto said:
Hey friends. I have bought a 2.5 inc HDD Case, USB 3.0 (Frisby) for my old Hitachi harddisk(5400rpm). When I tested it, I gave USB 2.0 speeds. My motherboard is P7H55/USB3.0 Intel. What should I do ? OS is Windows 8.

Edit: I tested WD My passport 500 Gigabyte External HD and It gave very fast results. It's about writes and reads 70/90 mb per second.


mauller07 said:
what read speeds are you gettings because a 5400rpm external hdd will never saturate USB 3.0 to its full speed anyway.

I tried WD Password and It gave 70/90 mb results. What should I do you think ?
a b G Storage
July 13, 2013 6:05:25 AM

those results sound perfectly fine for your drive, you wont get any speeds faster than that 70/90MB is what i would expect from that drive.

only an ssd (anywhere up to 500MB's) in a usb 3 enclosure or a 1 - 4TB 7200rpm HDD (should get 90 - 140MB's for these) would get faster speeds
July 13, 2013 6:13:48 AM

mauller07 said:
those results sound perfectly fine for your drive, you wont get any speeds faster than that 70/90MB is what i would expect from that drive.


This is what is said about this HDD case. I read that Frisby HDD case gives this 90 MB results. I think there is a problem with my Old hdd. It's not about wire or driver. My WD is WDBKXH5000ABL, I cannot find any knowledge but I think this disc is 5400 rpm as well. Am I wrong ?
July 14, 2013 8:47:54 PM

Any help? Please help.
!