$400-700 Desktop, for gaming and media

John Doh

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: 4-7 weeks from now, depending on the final price.
Budget Range: 4-700 total after shipping, rebates, and peripherals.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Must perform: HD Netflix streaming, League of Legends at 60+ FPS at high settings while Skyping.
Would like to perform: Bioshock Infinite at reasonable settings.

Are you buying a monitor: Not included in the budget. However, this is intended to be used as an input for an HDTV in the living room, so HDMI out would be nice, as would any other recommendations.

Parts to Upgrade: None, wanting to do this from scratch, unless my system usage requirements can be met by upgrading my current system: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XD181A
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, windows 7 please, I hate 8.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None preferred, but I do have Amazon prime, so I get free 2-day shipping on certain items.

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: Probably not, since my house is usually at a relatively high temp, making it hard to cool

SLI or Crossfire: I don't understand these terms, so it's probably not a good idea to try them out :)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 X 1080 (both on my current monitor and the HDTV I plan on purchasing)

Additional Comments: I would like to upgrade to this PC by my birthday (Late September) and share a monitor between it and my current comp. Then, for Christmas I would like to get an HDTV and move the new comp to the living room, where I can play LoL from a game chair a few feet from the screen with wireless peripherals, and also watch netflix/youtube/avi files/anything I want on the HDTV via the computer. Kind of what Microsoft is trying to do with the new XBOX, but with the versatility of a PC. I have some limited experience with slaving hard drives, installing RAM and things in PCI slots, but have never done a computer from scratch.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am upgrading for two main reasons. One is that I currently play a lot of LoL and watch a lot of Netflix on my Standard TV, both of which aren't performing as well as I'd like. The other is that my current workload/study schedule with little time for recreation has resulted in mild to severe depression over the last few months. Two of my family members have been hospitalized in the last few years as a result of depression. I just found out today that I'll be working 5 extra hours each week. To prevent myself from being more depressed, I've decided that I will use the goal of a new PC to make the extra work seem more worthwhile, while also improving the time I do have to myself/my family. To unwind I either watch netflix/youtube with my wife, or play LoL with friends online. The idea is this: I work 5 extra hours a week and make $20-30 Mon-Fri. I would use this money to save up for the computer. So a $400 computer would be saved up for in 3-4 weeks, a $700 computer would be saved up for in 6-7 weeks.

I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to look through this and give me suggestions, a friend recommended this website to me, and from what I can see you all perform a great service to a lot of people.

Solution
For your budget and needs, this one is a beast for the price. You really do not need any more than this and this is just a beast. Love that AMD launched a quad core CPU for just 80 dollars which is a beast for the price. I love AMD for budget builds. Anyways here is the build :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive...
For your budget and needs, this one is a beast for the price. You really do not need any more than this and this is just a beast. Love that AMD launched a quad core CPU for just 80 dollars which is a beast for the price. I love AMD for budget builds. Anyways here is the build :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($190.70 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $588.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-12 21:42 EDT-0400)

This costs around 590 dollars, so there is still budget for further stuff. So if possible get a SSD. That should make your PC much faster but would not help with performance of games, so that if you just want to play games then there is no real advantage of having a SSD. But it makes computer feel much more snappy. That is why if possible do possible add the Samsung 120GB SSD also. Though, i would leave that optional.

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)

If you think that the answer helped, then don't forget to select it as the best answer. It would be highly appreciated by me.

Solution

John Doh

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Thanks, that looks great. The video card looks a lot nicer than the ones I had been looking at previously. Are you sure the CPU is going to be good enough to run the games? Also, it looks like there's some issues with the front panel USB ports on the case, is that something I should look at for alternatives, or does it not matter? I really appreciate your time, much better than I could have ever done on my own :)

Thanks, that looks great. The video card looks a lot nicer than the ones I had been looking at previously. Are you sure the CPU is going to be good enough to run the games? Also, it looks like there's some issues with the front panel USB ports on the case, is that something I should look at for alternatives, or does it not matter? I really appreciate your time, much better than I could have ever done on my own :)

No, there are no problems with the front USB ports. The only thing is that this case does not supports the Front USB 3 panels, but no problem it supports all the front USB 2 panels that you must have used and they would do just fine. I am sure that you would have no problem since not many devices use a USB 3.0 ports. Almost everything still uses the USB 2.0 port so things should just be fine.

And even if you got some USB 3.0 device then you can just plug it at the back of the computer to the Motherboard I/O ports. So no problem there.

And yeah, the 750K performs very close to the i3 3220 in multi threaded applications and it has the Single Threaded performance of the FX 6300 so i do not think that it would be a bottleneck at all. This is a damn fine quad core CPU for the price. And if you feel like then you can drop in a CPU fan (Like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) and very easily overclock this CPU for much better performance. I do not see any issues with this CPU at all, so just go for it. You would be happy, i am sure.

John Doh

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

Thanks Sangeet. It looks like the case is actually $30.00 minimum because of the shipping costs of the cheapest seller. Do you have any alternative reccomendations for that price, or should I still get this one?