I've been having this most annoying problem for some time...
I would be playing a game / listening to a song through foobar2000 or itunes / watching a movie youtube whatever... and then suddenly the sound mutes itself, sometimes for a minute, sometimes for 20 seconds, sometimes for 14 minutes. I'm going crazy!!
The sound icon tray doesn't change, volume bar is still at the same level, and shows as if playback is happening as usual.
As if it's not enough, my computer has been having trouble booting up - if I keep my computer on for a week it'd be fine, but as soon as I shut down and then try to boot it up again - the "power" light would flash on and off and on and off, and my computer would try to boot itself, crash after 3 seconds, and then again and again until it reaches the Gigabyte motherboard screen and gets to windows by miracle.
What the hell??
Those are the specs for my PC, if it helps
- GTX680 2GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E
- Intel Core i7 3770 3.4Ghz s1155 8MB, GPU Core, Tray
- ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE s1155 Core i3/i5/i7, Intel Z77, DDR3 XMP, 3xPCI-E, HDMI, DP
- 4x8GB G.Skill RipJaw Z Edition Quad Channel CL10-10-10-30
- Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA III WD2002FAEX
- Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
- Seasonic 760W Gold X-Series Active PFC 12cm Fan Modular PSU X-760
Sounds like some sort of instability in your hardware setup. My guess is that the multiple reboot issue is a result of your motherboard searching for stable settings to boot with. It could be anything so you are going to have to troubleshoot. In my case my instability was caused by my brand name powersupply malfunctioning, but it could easily be your ram timings or voltage settings or one of your video cards etc. Start by experimenting with ram configurations, running with less ram or different timings etc. and take it from there.