Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 4670 or 4670K

Last response: in Systems
July 13, 2013 8:01:48 PM

Hey guys,
I need some help deciding which of these two processors to get for my new build. I will be doing mostly gaming, watching movies and running photoshop. I won't be doing video editing or more intensive stuff like that. It would also be great to know which one would be more future proof and last longer in the way of performance such as playing future games- does overclocking damage the CPU?
Thanks

More about : 4670 4670k

July 13, 2013 8:05:46 PM

They are the exact same chip, except the K version has an unlocked multiplier so it can overclock.
Its up to you, do you plan to overclock or not? It also depends on your motherboard. Do you already have a motherboard yet? Or are you still deciding?
If you choose the K version to overclock then you need a Z87 chipset motherboard. If you choose the non-K version, then you can stick with an H87 chipset motherboard.
m
l
July 13, 2013 8:16:20 PM

realchaos said:
They are the exact same chip, except the K version has an unlocked multiplier so it can overclock.
Its up to you, do you plan to overclock or not? It also depends on your motherboard. Do you already have a motherboard yet? Or are you still deciding?
If you choose the K version to overclock then you need a Z87 chipset motherboard. If you choose the non-K version, then you can stick with an H87 chipset motherboard.

I am still in the process of deciding so I don't have any parts or motherboard yet.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 13, 2013 8:17:58 PM

It's up to you if you want to overclock or not then.
Also, the 4670k + Z87 chipest motherboard is more expensive, if that means a lot to you.
July 13, 2013 8:28:08 PM

Ok thanks very much
m
l
July 13, 2013 8:30:37 PM

Also, if you decide to not overclock, then grab the i5-4430 over the i5-4670. The 400mhz difference between the two isn't worth the extra ~$20. You won't really notice the difference.
m
l
!