Solved

Why Can't I run games smoothly?

I just bought a GTX 770 thinking that would surely eliminate my problems but no.

I was playing Tomb Raider this morning on max settings beautifully. Then some Metro 2033 with some screen tearing but not bad. Then I play sleeping dogs and I get horrible drops in frame-rate and overall laggy/ juttery performance. I went back to Tomb Raider to make sure it still played well and it does. WTH?

My rig is:

8GB 1600 DDR 3 RAM

MD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

Samsung 840 Pro SSD

I play on a 50 inch 1080P Plasma


This is very frustrating. Please help.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about run games smoothly
  1. u're probably having a CPU bottleneck
  2. jinayhvora said:
    u're probably having a CPU bottleneck


    So how do I go about fixing that?
  3. Dan Westmoreland-1361151 said:
    jinayhvora said:
    u're probably having a CPU bottleneck


    So how do I go about fixing that?


    Upgrade your CPU to a FX8350 and get a SDD to store your games on.
  4. look at ur task manager while playing the game (play it windowed) if ur CPU usage is going to 100% then ur CPU is limiting ur GPU, overclock it, if that doesn't help its time to get a new one
  5. haider95 said:
    Dan Westmoreland-1361151 said:
    jinayhvora said:
    u're probably having a CPU bottleneck


    So how do I go about fixing that?


    Upgrade your CPU to a FX8350 and get a SDD to store your games on.


    I am almost scared to go with AMD again if it is in fact the CPU. You don't foresee any issues with the processor you mentioned?

    I do have an SSD.
  6. jinayhvora said:
    look at ur task manager while playing the game (play it windowed) if ur CPU usage is going to 100% then ur CPU is limiting ur GPU, overclock it, if that doesn't help its time to get a new one


    So CPU usage hangs out at about 50-60% - the "maximum frequency" jumps up to 100% or more quite often. Does that tell us anything?
  7. Best answer
    yes, that means overclocking will help, but not much, in the end u will need an new CPU, but squeeze as much life from it as possible first
  8. jinayhvora said:
    yes, that means overclocking will help, but not much, in the end u will need an new CPU, but squeeze as much life from it as possible first


    Man, you were dead on. I went and bought a new mobo and intel processor and my rigs flying now!

    Thanks a lot!!!
  9. haha, glad to be of help, enjoy ur new rig
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Systems